U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 12:09 AM

50 posts, read 171,357 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at a lot of houses online and I notice that many have association fees. Are these monthly fees? Some of them are steep!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM

133 posts, read 490,440 times
I think it depends on the community. Some communities list their fees as monthly, and others list them an annually. Before you buy just double check to see. In my personal opinion if no one is cutting your grass, if you have no pool, community center, etc..then HOA fees are a waste.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:37 PM

205 posts, read 566,234 times
Our HOA fees are $50, quarterly. As with any HOA, be sure to read it frontwards and backwards to make sure its the right neighborhood for you.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,730,827 times
What communities are you looking at? IF they are condo communities most likely you will have HoA fees, some housing communities as well.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:43 PM

66 posts, read 174,546 times
Usually HOA fee's are paid annually and are common in the subburbs. Condo fee's are paid monthly. The listings should tell you how often the fee's are paid.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM

198 posts, read 440,139 times
When I was looking for a house earlier this year I made sure my realtor found one that had no association fees and no commitee that could tell me I couldn't do something on my own property. Seriously how can someone tell me I can't build a pool in my backyard when I own the damn property?

The Forest Park area has no association fees or commitees. So I bought a house there.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM

34 posts, read 64,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
When I was looking for a house earlier this year I made sure my realtor found one that had no association fees and no commitee that could tell me I couldn't do something on my own property. Seriously how can someone tell me I can't build a pool in my backyard when I own the damn property?
Bodycount, I agree 1000%

Last edited by Yac; 07-12-2010 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: quote fixed

Old 07-12-2010, 07:10 AM

212 posts, read 600,130 times
I agree with you Bodycount, but techinally, you are really just renting the land for the city and state. We really never own anything. sad.

I live in a community of houses and our fee is $80 a year. it pays for the landscaping and mowing to the 2 entrances and couple other things.
I don't really care much about the association. I've never done anything that puts me or them on our bad side. in our community, if you change your mailbox, built a deck, stuff like that, you are suppose to submit a app to the design and review board. they can't tell you no on some stuff but they can tell you if the deck it to big for your yard or the area. (to expensive) or you can't paint with a certain color or that you can't put up the fish mailbox, that it has to be in line with the others. or if you want to put up a fence. your'll allowed, just have to have them sign off on it.
we put up a shed a couple years ago. our deed says it can only be 10x10. (our area was org. zoned for condos, but they decided to build houses instead, but never changed the deed) but city code sayd it can be 12x16 or 14x16, can't remember. we had to submit a form saying we were building a shed and it was going to be this size, per city restrictions. they just sent us a letter stating, no problem.
but where they do come in play is when people leave crap out in their yards or don't mow or don't bring in their trashcan in a timely manner. they can get a warning the first time then can get fined if they continue to break the "laws". also, who wants to live next to the pink house? I mean, really who's gonna paint their house pink? (sadly I've seen pick and purple houses.)
but I know I wouldn't want to.
also when we bought about 6 years ago. the realtor told us that any new development withing the city of Columbus limits were all going to have a assoc. now I'm not sure if that's still true, but I know any community near me that disbanded their assoc. looks like crap and run down. so there's good and bad. let me know if you have any other questions.
sorry it's so long.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM

198 posts, read 440,139 times
you don't need an association to get people to bring in their trash can or to mow their lawn. dublin is making a law where you have to hide your trashcan and if you don't mow the lawn anywhere in the city, you can call some number to have the city do it and charge the people who own the house.

sorry I will not live in a house that other people can tell me what I can and can not do.

and if all places in the city are going towards associations, I bet there's going to be a new issue to vote on to disband them all lol.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM

205 posts, read 566,234 times
Personally I love HOAs. I've lived in too many places where too many clowns brought down the whole neighborhood with poor choices of doing whatever they want on their property. Bad paint choices, shoddy additions, rusted out vehicles, above ground pools, tacky mailboxes, rabid dogs and ugly dog runs/kennels, obnoxious fences, poor landscaping maintenance - I've even seen people use old toilets as garden planters in their front yard or having chicken coops in city limits. The list can go on and on and on.

Its pretty simple, really. If you don't want an HOA, don't move someplace that has one. Otherwise, read the HOA before you buy and make sure its an HOA that works for you. HOAs aren't set up to boss people around - they are set up to uphold a common set of guidelines as established by the majority of a neighborhood. If you agree with those guidelines an HOA is a wonderful thing. If you don't you really shouldn't be moving to that neighborhood to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or