Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 31,305 times

Advertisements

We are hoping someone can help us with info about the Groveport area. We are considering a job relocation to this area. We currently live north of Boston and rent an apartment in a very nice community for $1299 a mo. The amenities available in our complex include a pool, gym, basketball court, etc. We would be looking for a similar complex in an area within a reasonable driving distance to Groveport. We live in an area with a very high cost of living. Income taxes, auto excise taxes, medical care, utilities, etc. are extremely high. What about the Columbus/Groveport area? Our travel time to work now is approximately 15 min but for most people in this area it is much longer than that. We are close to shopping, restaurants and cultural activities. This is not a walking area though. We pay a price for all of this convenience dealing with lots of vehicle traffic. Any info we can get to help us make our decision would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM

18 posts, read 37,322 times
For that amount you would be able to rent a house in Groveport, if you live in the groveport area than you get free or discounted access to the community center, which is very nice. In groveport there is a kroger grocery store (a large chain here in Ohio), several gas stations, and small restaurants. If you want major shopping like malls the closest nice mall is about 25 miles away, however shopping such as old navy/target/lowes (home improvement) is about 10 miles away. There are several great metro parks with plenty of programs and space. Most great art areas are going to be down town, however there are always great cultural events in groveport as well as the surrounding areas (pickerington/grove city/gahanna).

The schools in groveport are very good as well. Much better than columbus public, there are also many private schools in the area including a school for girls and several religious schools.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 PM

Thanks so much for the information. We are not sure if we want to pay what we are paying now to rent a house. There are some apartment complexes that we researched online. Several were in Pickerington. It seems we could get a similar sized apartment for much less rent. What do you know about Pickerington? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 PM

18 posts, read 37,322 times
Pickerington is a growing area, lots of shopping, I've heard the schools are good. That's about all I've heard. I grew in the south west area (Grove City).

Old 05-04-2010, 10:19 PM

555 posts, read 1,572,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone_family3 View Post
The schools in groveport are very good as well.
They may be better than Columbus, but they aren't good.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 7,306 times
Hello. I live in Canal Winchester, just down the road from Groveport. I also grew up in Groveport and attend school there.
I do not think you will find what you are looking for in Groveport, it is a small town with only a few basic places to eat and no shopping. There is the Groveport Rec Center which is very nice Groveport Recreation Center which has a nice fitness center, indoor walking, 2 large basketball court, indoor pool and senior center. There is also an outdoor pool which is an additional cost.
Groveport schools are not the best, probably more towards middle of the road. Pickerington has better schools, but are not as good as they used to be.
Within 15 minutes I would look at Pickerington or Bexley...they offer better places to eat and closer to shopping.
Why not consider a short term rental til you get to know the areas and see what you like best?

Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the information you were able to give me. We still haven't decided what to do yet but I will pass this information on to others in my company that have shown interest in the move. There will be 300+ people in my company out of a job because the company is moving their operations to Groveport this fall. A handful are considering the move.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 31,696 times
I'm moving to Groveport and will be looking for a job. What's the name of your company? Thanks

Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM

19 posts, read 43,551 times
My wife is from Groveport, her parents moved her from there in middle school to Worthington; a very good move. She calls it "Grovetucky" and complained about how many racist hillbillies lived there 10 years ago. Today it is more of a diverse population but it still isn't a good place to live. Many of the "hillbillies" that still live there resent the African American families that moved in and they are still not happy about it. The schools are better than Columbus schools but they still are not stellar by any stretch of the imagination. Pickerington as some others have mentioned is a much better option.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM

133 posts, read 589,622 times
You don't want to move to Groveport. If you are moving from the Boston area, you would be highly disappointed. If you are going to be working in Groveport, a great community to check out is Pickerington. There are several newer neighborhoods throughout the area and many homes would be in your current budget. On the other side of Groveport is Grove City which is going to offer more ammenities than Groveport, and is a little more affordable than Pickerington. Either community would have a fairly short commute to work.

As for schools, Pickerington has good schools. I'm not sure about Grove City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus