U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 2,470,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Ange's Pizza and Jet's Pizza are both very good.

What style of pizza are these?

By the way- if anyone lists

Donato's
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's

as their favorites, let me know that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 09:10 PM

556 posts, read 1,356,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
What style of pizza are these?

By the way- if anyone lists

Donato's
Pizza Hut
Domino's
Papa John's

as their favorites, let me know that as well.
Ange's is thin crust, I believe Jets has both thin and thick crust.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Thanks again!

He's going to be there for some time, so we'll hopefully get a few visits in. Have to try the Schmidt Haus, the Thorton Burgers, but always need a good pizza place.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 12,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
Resurrecting this old thread.

My son is going to be in Columbus for at least the next two years. Looking for New York style, New Haven Style (slightly different than NY), and if possible Neopolitan style pizza places.

So if you don't mind, can you name the place and the style?

Thanks

FC Eddie
(pizza junkie)
Im a New Yorker who moved here 1 year ago, a Bronxite and pizza fanatic. Tell him to get used to missing pizza. I have tried maybe 14 places. The closest is Jets Pizza (3 locations) specifically their "New York Bold Fold" or something like that, not too bad, closest thing to home. Also whereever you get pizza tell them not to slice it. They cut it up like a tic-tac-toe board and you have little squares that are hard to eat and the cheese falls off and your hands get sauce all over them. I dont get it. They are like little brownies, I call them reddies. Whatever you do, dont go to Rubinos in Bexley, oh my god, worst pizza ever, I got in and it looked like a New York style place, I thought finally, Ive heard good things. Then got their ketchup on a matzoh and couldnt eat it. Oh and the pizza is much more expensive here. Everything in NY is more expensive but for some reason pizza is like 3x as much here and no place has slices. If you want a "slice" the best you can do is a small 7" pie and wait 20 minutes.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnatch View Post
Im a New Yorker who moved here 1 year ago, a Bronxite and pizza fanatic. Tell him to get used to missing pizza. I have tried maybe 14 places. The closest is Jets Pizza (3 locations) specifically their "New York Bold Fold" or something like that, not too bad, closest thing to home. Also whereever you get pizza tell them not to slice it. They cut it up like a tic-tac-toe board and you have little squares that are hard to eat and the cheese falls off and your hands get sauce all over them. I dont get it. They are like little brownies, I call them reddies. Whatever you do, dont go to Rubinos in Bexley, oh my god, worst pizza ever, I got in and it looked like a New York style place, I thought finally, Ive heard good things. Then got their ketchup on a matzoh and couldnt eat it. Oh and the pizza is much more expensive here. Everything in NY is more expensive but for some reason pizza is like 3x as much here and no place has slices. If you want a "slice" the best you can do is a small 7" pie and wait 20 minutes.
oh oh.

When we moved to Bama we got lucky and a pizza genius from Bethel,CT moved into the area. We had a great pizza place, but it was pricey.

Then last June a Italian/Turkish family from Chicopee, MA moved into town and brought in low cost awesome pizza. For $10 you could get a 1-topping large and a 2-liter. Excellent sauce.

I may have to tell him that Cbus needs a pizza place.

That little square thing, I've experienced on trips to St Louis, and on a trip to Cbus in 2007. Cracker thin crust. Not for me.

Back in 1999 we were in Columbus for a game at Crew Stadium vs Bayer Leverkusen. We stayed at some nice hotel downtown, and I am pretty sure we found a pretty decent pizza place. It was cut like a real pizza place. Big glass windows in front. We were walking in as four of the Bayer player were walking out. I seem to remember it was near some sort of audatoreum.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM

186 posts, read 501,176 times
Columbus is horrible for pizza, they cut it into squares, who does that? Anyhow, the best I've had in C-bus is at the north market, Sarafino's. If you're clear up north near Polaris, go to Tarranto's. Donato's is terrible.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscrilla View Post
Columbus is horrible for pizza, they cut it into squares, who does that? Anyhow, the best I've had in C-bus is at the north market, Sarafino's. If you're clear up north near Polaris, go to Tarranto's. Donato's is terrible.
We'll be near the Josephinum College, 7000 block of North High Street.

Yeah, the square cutting is weird, St Louis style.

We'll arrive on Friday afternoon, evening- so probably get a pizza. Save Schmidt's for Saturday, catch a Crew game and then see what we can find on Sunday.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Conversely, I've never had a traditional New York style wedge pizza that I liked. Too doughy and not enough toppings. And I love Donatos. Best chain pizza place IMO. The Works pizza is delicious.

I guess it just depends on where you come from.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Conversely, I've never had a traditional New York style wedge pizza that I liked. Too doughy and not enough toppings. And I love Donatos. Best chain pizza place IMO. The Works pizza is delicious.

I guess it just depends on where you come from.

Always based on experience.

I'm originally from New Orleans, and the food down there is pretty good. We had some New Yorkers and a guy from CT open up two different places and they were both fantastic.

Then a few trips to Europe and we had some fantastic pizza all over the place.

Then moved to Connecticut, and between the New Haven and New York style, we were in a slice of heaven.

So all that has definitely changed my tastes.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM

I think the only thick crust pizza that I had that I really liked was down on the San Antonio Riverwalk.

However, it didn't like me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or