U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I will be moving to the Columbus area and know little about the city. I have been attempting research on the best apartment/townhouse to reside in, but I have been receiving mixed reviews. I would like to find a place that is close to campus, affordable and safe. I am not looking to spend too much on rent, but am willing to under ideal circumstances. I am not sure what areas should be avoided and what complexes are worth laying my credit on the line for. It seems the only places with any sort of paid utilities are making up for their lack in location or aesthetics. On the same token, these "luxury" apartments appear beautiful, but are quite pricey for rent alone. To say the least, I am at a loss and have found myself here. I greatly appreciate your time and assistance. Oh and go Buckeyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 01:17 AM

11 posts, read 22,421 times
It's been several years since I've been on a house hunt around osu, and for the life of me I cant remember what resources we used, so I can't help you there. As far as what areas are safe: north of 12th st; east of N 4th (it's hit or miss along here so you definitely want to check out the area). If you are west of high street, it starts to get sketchy around Oakland, but if you are east of High its OK out to Maynard. I am not intimately familiar with the south side of campus, but the closer you are to campus, the better.

Rent around campus is grossly inflated, and most pay way too much for a house that is falling apart, although with the new 2 year dorm rule, that may change. Are you a student? If not, you may be able to find some cheaper/nicer areas to live in that won't require dealing with the negatives of living among students.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 AM

3,548 posts, read 7,410,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink85 View Post
east of N 4th (it's hit or miss along here so you definitely want to check out the area).
You sure you don't mean west of North 4th? East of North 4th is the railroad tracks, fairgrounds, and just generally an unpleasant area, particularly between 11th and 17th.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM

625 posts, read 729,205 times
Default Lifelong resident

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]This is a fairly broad post, so I am going to give you very basic information. However, if you follow up to my comments, I may be able to provide you with more detailed info. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Columbus is a pretty good city. There are some fairly safe areas in the city. Moreover, with a population of 700K, you have essentially all the amenities you need. There is racial diversity, although pockets of segregation persist. The people are more friendly than they are in other cities of a comparable size. The economy is largely service-based, and it doing OK relative to the rest of Ohio. The cost of living is below the national average, though housing is by no means cheap. There is a significant gay population. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you are looking to live in the city, you may want to go with the Short North or German Village. The Short North (just north of downtown) is heavily gentrified and has a substantial gay population. The housing in this area is older and you there are sketchy areas, but all in all it is a pretty good area for the inner-city. For its part, German Village (just south of downtown) offers a lot of the same qualities that the Short North does. One problem, however, is that the cost of housing in German Village is pretty high. You have a lot of professionals who live in this area and what they pay for some of these little monopoly houses is mind-boggling. There are tons of nice bars and restaurants throughout this area. Many of them are found on High Street, which is a major thoroughfare that runs through the area. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would stay away from campus. I have lived in the campus area for the better part of the past decade and have grown tired of it. The housing is getting somewhat expensive for its quality (though you can find some deals if you are persistent) and there is a lot of noise on the weekends--especially on the east side of High Street. If you must live on campus, do yourself a favor and live on the west side of High Street. Anything west of Neil avenue is especially preferable. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I am about to move to Grandview. The housing in Grandview (like that in much of the city) is old. However, it is pretty safe and the make pretty good neighbors. A lot of grad and professional students live in this area, though for the most part it is a mixed bag. There isn't a ton of racial diversity in Grandview, and there are some working class hillbillies in the area; but, all things considered, it is a good area. I am paying 750 a month to live in an old two-bedroom townhouse, and I don't regret one bit. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]If you go north from here, you will run into Upper Arlington. UA is very clean, quiet, and safe, but it is also more expensive than Grandview. Nevertheless, I know some students and young professionals who live in this area. I 2bd townhouse in UA would probably run 100 more a month than you would pay for a comparable property in Grandview. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Outside of the areas that I just mentioned, I would stay out of the city. Crime (especially property crime) is fairly high and the quality of the company is not good. There are a lot of poorer people who rent house throughout the city and ruin what used to be nice working class neighborhoods. The Linden area is perhaps the prime example of this. People will go in and buy houses in the middle of working class homes and rent them out Section 8 and these rotten apples spoil the barrel. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I would also stay away from the Morse Rd/161 area of North Columbus. 20 years ago the area was really nice. But there has been a lot of white flight and the crime in this area is sky-high. It's getting kind of hollowed out and some of the people are quite crude. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Anything north of this area and you hit the suburbs (Worthington, Westerville, Dublin). These areas are pretty nice, though they may be out of your price range. If you go east, from Morse Rd, you will run into Gahanna. Gahanna has some OK apartment complexes, but I tend to like the aforementioned suburbs more. A lot of it just depends on the particular area. There is so much available housing in these areas that it is hard for me to break it down anymore than that. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Back to the city. Stay away from the West Side. Tons of white trash and very appalling to look at. However, Hilliard is a suburb to the West of Columbus and you might be able to find some trendy apartments there. But other than Hilliard, I would not give this side of town a look. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Same think for the East Side. The East Side is like 75% AA and has really high crime. There is a nice Jewish enclave on the East Side called Bexley where some law students from some young professionals and law students from Capital University live. Other than Bexley, I would steer clear of the East Side. If you keep going East, you will run into Reynoldsburg. As a suburb, this is a much better area. I personally don't care for the people in this area, and there aren't as many rental options as there are in the north suburbs (e.g. Worthington, Dublin). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The South Side is the most dilapidated part of town. German Village is as far south as you want to go in Columbus. The South Side is like a double whammy. In addition to tons of white trash, you have tons of landfills. Yuck!!! [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]That should get you started. Good luck. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by itinérant; 08-05-2010 at 10:34 PM.. Reason: The text got messed up when I pasted it from Word

Old 08-08-2010, 03:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
I suppose I can be more specific . . . I am looking preferrably for a townhouse, but will settle for a nice apartment. I would like a 2 bedroom place, but again, am willing to settle. I am a young professional myself. I will be alone for the most part and would like some security in my home. I have been researching rentals for weeks, but have not quite found a standout place. I don't want to sign a lease and be trapped in a dump. I would like a nice place in a nice area, but am not looking to pay overpriced rent with no amenities or included utilities. I am looking to pay at most $800 for rent, preferrably including something (water, cable, internet, what have you). I have enough bills as it is, therefore the more all in one I can get the better. I was also looking for a place with a garage. I don't mind paying a deposit for a pet, but I would rather not have to pay rent for a pet as well. I have found a few nice places but, as with anything, they all have their pros and cons. I have read some interesting reviews of apartments in the area, which I try to take with a grain of salt; however, it does make me think twice. I was hoping I could get some more accurate information via this website. Most of these reviews mention finding "a bigger, nicer place in a better neighborhood for less money", but this aforementioned place is never named. I understand not everyone will be 100% happy with what they have and/or receive, hence the reason most of these terrible reviews of apartments are posted. Nevertheless, I was hoping some in depth research and diligent planning will help my relocation run smoother. Besides this move to a mostly unfamiliar city, this will be my first time actually renting rather than owning, so I am stuck at square one. Unfortunately, I am currently not in a position to buy. Again, thank you everyone for the time and insight.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 PM

133 posts, read 492,153 times
If you visit apartmentguide.com you will see tons of apartments in all price ranges in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs. If you want to stay close to campus you may need to pick up a newspaper to look for rentals because a lot of apartments in Grandview, Upper Arlington, Clintonville etc. are individually owned. I lived in the Grandview are while attending school and had a 5 minute drive to campus so it was really convenient.

If you are looking for a safe and quiet area, I would highly suggest living off of campus.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 AM

11 posts, read 22,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
You sure you don't mean west of North 4th? East of North 4th is the railroad tracks, fairgrounds, and just generally an unpleasant area, particularly between 11th and 17th.
You are correct, I got my directions mixed up.

As far as what neighborhoods to look at, I would look at either Granville, Upper Arlington or Dublin (I am partial to the NW side because thats where I have spent most of my time, I'm sure there are other neighborhoods that fit the bill.) I'm not sure what the rent is there, but somewhere you might want to look at is The Farms and the Orleans, off of Hayden Run in Dublin. I have friends that live there, and it seems to be a nice place with a lot of 20 somethings. Of course, this is a far away from downtown if that's a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus