U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM

165 posts, read 200,652 times
Default WOW Cable Internet subscribers....

If you have internet through WOW cable, please read on.

I'm wondering if you expierence the same issue as I do. Every night from around 10pm to around midnight, my internet will just stop working for brief periods of time. Sometimes it's 5 seconds.. sometimes around 30 seconds. During this time no data passes through my cable modem. I have my own modem which makes this harder to call in since they can say it's my modem and then charge me for the service call.

Anyone else have this problem?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,643,463 times
I will have their internet on Friday, will let you know if I run into it. Will be using their modem, my router.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I will have their internet on Friday, will let you know if I run into it. Will be using their modem, my router.
Yeah I used their modem for a month then saw my first bill and about sh*t my pants. Not paying a $5 rental fee every month for a modem when I can buy one on newegg for $20 that does the same thing.

I just want to see if other people have or *HAD* this problem and if I should call it in or not. Don't want to be charged a fee for the tech coming out just so he can say it's my modem doing it.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
Yeah I used their modem for a month then saw my first bill and about sh*t my pants. Not paying a $5 rental fee every month for a modem when I can buy one on newegg for $20 that does the same thing.

I just want to see if other people have or *HAD* this problem and if I should call it in or not. Don't want to be charged a fee for the tech coming out just so he can say it's my modem doing it.
I will need to check that out, I will go first month with it and report back if I run into that problem, but if its 5 bucks a month I will get my own as well.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,013 times
I've been with WOW for over a year now. No issues like what you're describing have been experienced by me.

I do have occasional hiccups, where I receive a "not connected to the internet" message, but it's not daily, sometimes not even weekly, and the hiccups are corrected by a simple refresh.

None of these hiccups are specific to a specific time of day.

My feeling is that these hiccups have more to do with my iMac and/or Safari having a slight issue rather than WOW.

I say this because I have had no issues connecting to and using the internet (wifi) on my iPhone.

I'd suggest at least giving their modem a try.

My experience with WOW has, overall, been a good one. I have the occasional gripe with their lineup, but overall I find them decent, and perhaps a bit less expensive than my alternative, Time Warner.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,466,243 times
Next time this happens tell them you will switch to Comcast, Qwest, Satellite, or whatever if they don't reimburse you for a.) the service charges, and b.) the lost time you paid for internet/cable service. If they are smart they'll offer you a rate discount, rebate or some other perk and your problems should reside. If they are stubborn, pay your bill in full and switch providers, but ask each new one whether they can meet or beat your WOW! rate (and make up a lower rate that fits your budget nicely ;-)

Old 08-06-2010, 08:10 PM

9,190 posts, read 3,942,219 times
Has anyone used Insight Cable?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Has anyone used Insight Cable?

I had insight cable before switching to WOW cable. Insight is expensive but the modem always worked fine. There are less channels that come with the digital package than what WOW offers and WOW gives you starz movies channels for free.

The only channel I miss that Insight had and WOW doesn't carry is Palladia. Some of the live concerts were good.

Overall i'm paying $20 less a month for WOW cable and I'm getting more channels and 1MB higher modem speed.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:53 PM

So far so good with my WOW internet, including using their modem. I am enjoying their channel selection over TWC.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,584 times
I have been having the same issues with the modem from WOW. It has trouble when connecting to the iphone and periodically goes out on the computers. Really annoying!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus