U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 07:54 PM

133 posts, read 490,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
Really? There is nothing but trouble on the east side of town? I think the folks of New Albany, Gahanna, Bexley, Pickerington, Blacklick, etc.. would disagree.
I'm not talking about the suburbs, I'm talking about downtown Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM

16 posts, read 21,869 times
Where do you currently live? Why do you want to move to Columbus? I have lived in a lot of cities and currently live in Columbus, and Columbus (for me) ranks in the middle. it is very average. As for climate? It sucks, but I guess that is a matter of perspective. If you live in Detroit, Buffalo or Chicago, then it will be an improvement. Health care is fantastic here, as are home values and the cost of living. But, you get what you pay for. I relocated here 4 years ago after spending 8 years in Denver and I am probably ruined for life. When you speak of the educational system being great, I can only assume that you are speaking of OSU. There are few great school districts here and you have to make sure you land in one if you are going to be staying for a while.

As far as crime, there are nice neighborhoods in the suburbs, but section 8 housing is distributed randomly throughout the suburbs which brings crime. We moved to CBUS 4 years ago and came out for a few days to find a house. We located a home we liked and purchased this home a half mile from a non descript apartment complex. Once we moved in and saw that the "ghetto bird" (police helicopter) circled every night and there were sirens 24/7 we asked the neighbors. That non descript apartment complex is a project. Our Realtor never mentioned a thing. We have gunfire on a regular basis and even have a bullet lodged in our roof causing leaks and mold.

The worst area in the city "murder central" surrounds the hospital where I work. In fact it is about 3 blocks from the most deadly park in Columbus. It is located just a few blocks from German Village which is a very cool area with great restaurants and probably the best bookstore anyone has seen. This is the Livingston/ Parsons area. Another area to avoid is "the bottoms" which is right around Mt Carmel West hospital. There was actually a documentary filmed there by the same guy who did "supersize me" (Morgan Spurlock). Drive through at you risk and watch for stray bullets. And then there is the east side of downtown. Not a great place for car trouble.

Sure there are a lot of parks here, but there are very few days of the year that you can actually enjoy them. It is either too hot/muggy with far too many mosquitoes or it is blistering cold. There is a month or two in the fall that is very lovely with low humidity and you can actually see the sky. It rains a lot, and we actually have more gloomy days than Seattle.

If this is an optional relocation, I would take time to consider. If you are in Detroit then go for it! If not, then you may need to reconsider.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:23 PM

53 posts, read 101,051 times
Wow thanks for everyones answers! I was not emailed any answers and I happened to find this thread again by chance. I think Columbus is a great area. Don't make my post sound like anything other than that. It's just when I read the stats on the crime rate it's surprises me and I live in a metropolitan area. So I was not sure if the crime is contained or if it's spread out. This info. is not available within most websites. Phanooky seems like he/she is closer to the crime than the others that posted and I think those that joked about the crime sure did not have much to say to him/her. Again thanks for all your posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or