Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about long-term homes for me. I just moved to the Ft. Knox area of Kentucky and like it so far. My best situation would be to finish my degree and find a decent job and just move up I-65 to Louisville. Second best, would be to move back to my native Hampton Roads, VA. But with the economy in it's current state those situations may not happen. So I'm researching alternatives.

About me:

- I'm a black guy who leans converative.
- I call myself a Christian but I'm not a fan of bible thumpers. (Had a bad boss who was one.)
- I spent most of my life in Hampton Roads, VA followed by 6 horrid years in NoVA, now three decent months in the Ft. Knox area.
- Did I mention that living in Northern VA made me hate traffic?
- I will likely have my BS in Management (Can I get a quality non-customer job up there?)
- I'd like to have decent housing for under $600 a month (studio or 1 bed in a decent area).
- Is there a car tax in OH? VA and KY both have them and I'm not a fan of it.

Can I fit in Columbus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
- I'm a black guy who leans converative. (no problem)
- I call myself a Christian but I'm not a fan of bible thumpers. (Had a bad boss who was one.) (nothing too extreme here)
- I spent most of my life in Hampton Roads, VA followed by 6 horrid years in NoVA, now three decent months in the Ft. Knox area. (I miss Fort Knox)
- Did I mention that living in Northern VA made me hate traffic?(traffic is easy here, typical morning and evening rush hr better then most large cities)
- I will likely have my BS in Management (Can I get a quality non-customer job up there?)(a lot of companies here I suggest checking out the Columbus Dispatch online)
- I'd like to have decent housing for under $600 a month (studio or 1 bed in a decent area).(should be able to get a studio in that price)
- Is there a car tax in OH? VA and KY both have them and I'm not a fan of it. (no car tax)

You will be fine here, Columbus is a growing city and for its location and size it is relatively diverse.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
- I'm a black guy who leans converative. You'll be in good company. You'll meet others like you.
- I call myself a Christian but I'm not a fan of bible thumpers. (Had a bad boss who was one.) Columbus is not like a lot of southern states with bible thumpers, you'll be fine.
- I spent most of my life in Hampton Roads, VA followed by 6 horrid years in NoVA, now three decent months in the Ft. Knox area.---You'll like C'bus, it's a decent city and plenty of things to do and people to meet.
- Did I mention that living in Northern VA made me hate traffic? Depends on where you live and your commute, you'll have a bit of traffic to deal with especially when you travel North.
- I will likely have my BS in Management (Can I get a quality non-customer job up there?)hmmm, Columbus and Central Ohio is a Nub for call centers and corporations so you could possibly find and entry level position in one of the call centers. If that's not your forte', you'll have other options such as OSU and other colleges as well as hospitals.
- I'd like to have decent housing for under $600 a month (studio or 1 bed in a decent area). You can find a NICE 1 bedroom for $600/month. That's not going to be a problem at all.
- Is there a car tax in OH? VA and KY both have them and I'm not a fan of it. No, no car tax. My mom is from VA so I know all about the car tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: