Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times

Advertisements

Westerville is great for families! It's really easy to get around and easy to get to Polaris as well. Again, a plus for all the nearby parks and biking trails (on which you can walk too).

Pretty town. Active Community Center.

I hope she likes it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM

95 posts, read 281,951 times
Which of Columbus suburbs is most convenient to everything with a great community center and attractive rentals for any family (preferably houses or townhouses)?

Inside I-270:

Worthington
Clintonville
Upper Arlington
Grandview Heights
Bexley
Minerva Park
Riverlea
Marble Cliff

Outside I-270:

Dublin
Hilliard
Gahanna
Westerville
New Albany
Powell
Delaware
Grove City
Groveport

Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM

7 posts, read 8,213 times
Default Let us know

Let us know what you decide and where you end up. We may relocate if my husband is offered a position at OSU. I have been continuously drawn to Dublin, powell, Westerville and Worthington. The most important thing for us right now is the best high school with high statistics in college placement. My oldest is 13 and would like to go to Stanford so would like to give her the best opportunity to follow that dream.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivan6Pak View Post
Let us know what you decide and where you end up. We may relocate if my husband is offered a position at OSU. I have been continuously drawn to Dublin, powell, Westerville and Worthington. The most important thing for us right now is the best high school with high statistics in college placement. My oldest is 13 and would like to go to Stanford so would like to give her the best opportunity to follow that dream.
Good luck and keep us posted.
The thread started 3 years ago, so I imagine they decided awhile back and won't be back to the thread.

Out of those school districts, Dublin is probably the best, but it's not the best in Columbus. Those belong to Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,252 times
I have a BS in physics from Ohio State and when I was taking the lower level undergraduate classes, there were a lot of high schoolers from the places that both Sullivan6Pak and Jbcmh81 taking my classes in one of the post-secondary programs for high schoolers. While the ones who had seemed to be the most knowledgeable came from Upper Arlington, there were quite a lot of bright people from Coffman (in Dublin) and Kilbourne (in Worthington) that ended up going on to places like Stanford or Ivy League schools.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:59 AM

37 posts, read 58,034 times
I'M WARNING YOU AHEAD OF TIME? I am a AA family living in Westerville. DON'T MOVE HERE. It's everything you want and what you don't want. I am telling you this for your children. The teachers are prejudice. I know over a handful of AA, Latino and Indian parents who took their child(ren) out of Westerville schools because of the teachers. I hoping someone (the news) would do an investigation on this school district, the detail infomation some of the parents have is downright sickening. Stay away from Worthington also. We all want great schools, a safe neighborhood and a beautiful neighborhood to live in, but Westerville in not the place. GO DUBLIN if you do decide to move here. Your background in IT, Houston employers would grab you up in a heartbeat. Houston have way more attractions and activities for the whole family, better weather and its more diverse. DON'T rely on Greatschools.com the rating system is a joke. If you cannot sit down and have a one - one conversation with each one of your children teachers or the principal, that school is not for you and THAT GOES FOR ALL PARENTS. If you do a surprise visitation and want to sit in the classroom for observation, and the principal or teacher isn't thrilled with your untimeliness decision. That school isn't for your child. More AA families moving out including mine family as well. Don't expect a warm welcome to the neighborhood. I'm trying to give you the true facts. I'm not trying to be mean and nasty. My brother-n-law went for a walk after a late evening dinner, and came back mad as hell. WHY? Because he was stopped and questioned why was he in the neighborhood. ENOUGH SAID.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpops21 View Post
I'M WARNING YOU AHEAD OF TIME? I am a AA family living in Westerville. DON'T MOVE HERE. It's everything you want and what you don't want. I am telling you this for your children. The teachers are prejudice. I know over a handful of AA, Latino and Indian parents who took their child(ren) out of Westerville schools because of the teachers. I hoping someone (the news) would do an investigation on this school district, the detail infomation some of the parents have is downright sickening. Stay away from Worthington also. We all want great schools, a safe neighborhood and a beautiful neighborhood to live in, but Westerville in not the place. GO DUBLIN if you do decide to move here. Your background in IT, Houston employers would grab you up in a heartbeat. Houston have way more attractions and activities for the whole family, better weather and its more diverse. DON'T rely on Greatschools.com the rating system is a joke. If you cannot sit down and have a one - one conversation with each one of your children teachers or the principal, that school is not for you and THAT GOES FOR ALL PARENTS. If you do a surprise visitation and want to sit in the classroom for observation, and the principal or teacher isn't thrilled with your untimeliness decision. That school isn't for your child. More AA families moving out including mine family as well. Don't expect a warm welcome to the neighborhood. I'm trying to give you the true facts. I'm not trying to be mean and nasty. My brother-n-law went for a walk after a late evening dinner, and came back mad as hell. WHY? Because he was stopped and questioned why was he in the neighborhood. ENOUGH SAID.
Not sure where you're getting all these AA families moving out of Westerville. There was not a single census tract in Westerville that lost AA population the last decade. In fact, AAs were one of the fastest growing demographics there, growing 119%. Whatever your experiences are, they don't seem to be very widespread.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 PM

240 posts, read 953,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The thread started 3 years ago, so I imagine they decided awhile back and won't be back to the thread.

Out of those school districts, Dublin is probably the best, but it's not the best in Columbus. Those belong to Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights.
Give a close look to Dublin Jerome, Olentangy Liberty and Upper Arlington.

Here's a link to US News and World Report, which relies heavily on the AP test results to rank high schools: Top Ohio High Schools | Best High Schools | US News. I might be able to provide a link for mean ACT scores, as well.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM

225 posts, read 462,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpops21 View Post
Your background in IT, Houston employers would grab you up in a heartbeat. Houston have way more attractions and activities for the whole family, better weather and its more diverse.
My wife and I relocated to Columbus from Houston last summer and we like Columbus a lot more. I would argue Columbus is a much better place to raise a family.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,886,522 times
I lived in Powell for many years and in general the Columbus area has lots to offer. Lots of attractive middle class suburbs with good schools, excellent parks and library system. Ohio State and the Buckeyes if you are a sports fan. Most people are open minded and friendly. Real estate tends to be lower priced than some other areas. At this stage in my life I prefer San Diego mainly for the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus