U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM

61 posts, read 342,625 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just like to inquire if anyone has moved from the New York City area (any/all sections of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx &/or Staten Island) to Columbus, OH (also if from places above the Bronx, New Jersey area: Jersey City, etc).

If so, I like to ask the following:

-How do you like Columbus: great, good, okay, not liking it?

-Overall, how are the neighborhoods?
-Safety concerns
-Cleaner streets
-Diversity (different nationalities, age groups, economic & educational backgrounds)
-Shopping, restaurants, parks/greenery
-Neighbors friendlier/helpful, respectable/respect other people’s properties

-Commuting – would you appear to look “crazy” if walking to arrive to destination(s)?

-How does downtown Columbus compares to downtown, midtown & uptown Manhattan?

-How is it finding a job?

-How do single homes, condominiums, apartment buildings compare to NYC in price & quality?

-Do you regret leaving NYC or glad you have made the move to Columbus?

I hope I am not being repetitive (and not too many questions being asked) in posting the same questions. Would love to hear your responses. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 AM

2 posts, read 4,727 times
Hello. I am not a "Native New Yorker" but am originally from Columbus and moved to New York for work from 10/08-10/09. So I can hopefully give you a little insight of the differences that I got out of both Cities.

My wife and I are big fans of Columbus. It has a good mid-size city feel with lots of things to do. However, for the most part we liked New York too, but the work commute from where we lived (22 miles north of the city) to the city was not fun! It took us both between 1-1.25 hours each way. I have yet to experience that long of commute from any of the suburbs I have lived in to any work destination in Columbus.

-Overall, how are the neighborhoods?

Depending on where you are looking. The suburbs in Franklin County such as: Upper Arlington, New Albany, Westerville, Dublin, Worthington are all great and fairly safe. A little north of Franklin County is Delaware County and includes Powell, some parts of, Westerville, and Lewis Center. Delaware offers great communities with a little less congestion than Franklin County. However, the trade off is the commute to downtown if that is where you will be working. It is about 30 minutes to 1 hour in traffic and also how far north you are in Delaware County. The one thing that was very convienent in NYC and Westchester County is that getting from town to town they were all within 5-10 minutes of each other.

-Safety concerns

Right now it seems that Columbus is in a period of higher than normal crime than previous years. However, crime is going to be anywhere you live. The suburbs I have mentioned above are all very safe. I have personally lived in Worthington,Westerville, Dublin, New Albany, Lewis Center, and even on the campus of Ohio State. I found them all to be safe and never had a problem. I think you need to be pro-active in any area you live to prevent crime from happening. Winner: Really did not have safety problems in New York or Columbus.

-Cleaner streets

From all the neighborhoods and suburbs I have lived in all the streets are fairly clean and for the most part do not have that nasty sewer smell that you get on every street corner in New York City Also I have yet to see a big orange tube with steam coming out of it on every other street corner in Columbus. Winner: Columbus

-Diversity (different nationalities, age groups, economic & educational backgrounds)

The racial diversity in Columbus is hit or miss. There are areas that have a heavy racial mix and then there are certain suburbs that have a very small minority population. I am a minority and have never experienced any problem in any of the areas that I have lived in.

Shopping, restaurants, parks/greenery

As far as shopping Columbus does have some good malls i.e. EastonPolaris, and Tuttle. However, it is not going to be like 5th Ave. in New York or the Westchester Mall in White PlainsThose two shopping areas in New York will cater toward a higher end crowd with the shops that they provide. Winner: New York

Restaurants: Again Columbus does have a fair amount of good dining, but will not compare to New York in any way. In my 1 year in New York I was able to try out foods and restaurants that would not be available in Winner: New York

Greenery: Columbus has some great parks that are friendly for all sorts of activities i.e., biking, hiking, walking, and plenty of dog friendly parks as well. I found the parks in Columbus to be cleaner and much better maintained than New York. However, Central Park is really nice. Winner: Columbus

Neighbors friendlier/helpful, respectable/respect other people’s properties

Of all the neighborhoods and suburbs I have lived in all my neighbors have been very friendly and very helpful with anything I have needed. They have been respectable of all our property. Winner: Both did not have problems in either place.

Commuting – would you appear to look “crazy” if walking to arrive to destination(s)?

As far as commuting this is one big reason we decided to move back to Columbus I like being able to get into my own car and getting to my destination. I was not a fan of being dependent on public transportation i.e. trains, cabs, bus, and subway and their schedule. I did however like the walk ability of the city. I got some great exercise. Columbus is now also getting more bike friendly and many people have chosen that mode of transportation. I did live in corporate housing in the city for about 1.5 months and i will tell you it was very nice to walk to work everyday (when it was not raining of course). Winner: Columbus if you live in Westchester County or another suburb. If you live in NYC and worked in the city then NYC as you would not need a vehicle.

How does downtown Columbus compares to downtown, midtown & uptown Manhattan?

Hands down New York has way more stuff to do than downtown Columbus. Whenever my wife and I would spend the day in the city (New York) we never had a shortage of activities to do. In Columbus if there is not a specific event downtown i.e. hockey game, baseball game, concert. You pretty much have about 10 bars and clubs that become very stale to go to over and over (and I have been to all of them many many times over) Winner:New York

-How is it finding a job?

I really cannot speak for this as I have been very fortunate to have employment in both cities before moving to either one.

How do single homes, condominiums, apartment buildings compare to NYC in price & quality?

Price to Square foot hands down Columbus is the big winner on this one. You can get a new build or pre-owned at a fraction of the cost and the property taxes are much lower in Columbus (but still somewhat high for Columbus). We spent 2 whole days with a broker finding a place to live in New York that was comparable to the townhouse we had in Columbus prior to the move. $3000+ per month for rent we found one that was equally match to what we had in Columbus. However, our mortage in Columbus was nowhere near $3,000+ and we owned our townhouse in Columbus as opposed to renting in New York. Winner: Columbus

Do you regret leaving NYC or glad you have made the move to?

My wife and I are both glad we made the move to NYC. We would have regretted it and wonder what if...Now we never have to have those questions in our head. We are very happy to be back in Columbus since our families are very close by. I always encourage my friends to visit New York as our time spent in the city was some of the most memorable moments my wife and I have had.

Hopefully this has helped and answered some of your questions. If you do decide to make the move WELCOME to Columbus

Last edited by bucknut2010; 10-11-2010 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Format

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Yac

5,881 posts, read 6,309,460 times
There's a max 2 stickies/forum rule, there's already the picture thread. If someone would compile a general area faq thread, I'd gladly stick it.
Yac.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM

61 posts, read 342,625 times
Smile Hi, are you a "Native New Yorker" who've moved to Columbus?

Hello bucknut2010,

I want to thank you for responding. You are very detailed and this helps a lot (summary/comparison to each question and which place you thought was/think is better).

I’ve been considering for quite some time about relocating to Columbus. I visited Columbus for only a few days in March of 2008 and I was quite impressed. What interest me the most are the prices for homes – so much affordable/reasonable than NYC – you get a lot for the money – space and amenities.

I’m still debating however. Once again, thank you for taking time out in answering my post – greatly appreciate it!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,072,228 times
Quote:
How does downtown Columbus compares to downtown, midtown & uptown Manhattan?

Hands down New York has way more stuff to do than downtown Columbus. Whenever my wife and I would spend the day in the city (New York) we never had a shortage of activities to do. In Columbus if there is not a specific event downtown i.e. hockey game, baseball game, concert. You pretty much have about 10 bars and clubs that become very stale to go to over and over (and I have been to all of them many many times over) Winner:New York

Read more: Hi, are you a "Native New Yorker" who've moved to Columbus?
I want to say this is some good advice. The only thing that is lacking here is that it is true downtown columbus is more of a business district, but what makes columbus special, for a midsize midwestern city, isn't its downtown.

It is the neighborhoods right outside of downtown. Since you visited I assume you went to some of these. These places offer an urban, clean, relatively safe environment. Mostly because gentrification has been a specialty in Columbus since the 1960s and there is an urban housing stock that was preserved.

The Short North/German Village/Old Town East/ Clintonville/Grandview are the usual neighborhoods that offer urban areas with lively retail and local restaurants. If you prefer a city living there are the places you want to look at to decide if you can live here. And these areas are full of many local bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or