Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 PM

29 posts, read 252,408 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Columbus soon and I had some questions concerning local taxes. From what I was able to see online, it appears that you pay local income taxes to the city where you work as opposed to where you live. Is this correct? We are from PA, and there, you pay local income taxes to the city/town where you live, not where you work. Instead, you pay a $52 fee to the city where you work as part of an occupational privilege tax.

I will use a hypothetical for the questions we have. From what I have seen online, the City of Columbus has a 2.5% income tax. Unless I am mistaken, I think I read where you pay taxes to the city where you work first, then to where you live, if applicable. So my questions are:

1. If I work in Columbus (2.5%) and live in a town where the local tax is 2%, am I correct that you would pay no taxes to the city where you live since you would get a credit for the taxes you paid to Columbus, which would offset any taxes to where you live?

2. Second, what if you worked in Columbus and lived in a town where the local tax is 3% (I don't know if this is possible, but let's pretend for purposes of this hypothetical). Does this mean that I would pay 2.5% to Columbus, but then I would still have to pay 0.5% to where I live since I would get a 2.5% offset since I paid that to Columbus?

3. If you have to pay taxes to two places (if #2 is correct), does your employer take the taxes out of your paycheck for both places that you have to pay taxes to, or just the one where you work? As an example, if I work in Columbus and live in Dublin, and owe taxes to both, will my employer pay the taxes out of my paycheck to both places or just to Columbus and then I have to make quarterly payments to where I live?

4. Can you recommend a good website that goes through the Ohio taxing structure, from income taxes to property taxes, etc.?

I would appreciate any assistance with these questions. We are trying to understand as much as we can about the tax structure in Ohio and how it differs from PA, but it is not always clear when you read something online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:04 AM

Since this post is not generating any comments, I wanted to try to clarify what I was asking.

If there is anyone that works in Columbus but lives in the suburbs, can you please explain how your local taxes are handled? From what I have been reading, it seems you would pay taxes to Columbus, but you may also have to pay taxes to the place where you live depending on the tax rate (if it is higher than the Columbus tax rate).

I wanted to know if this is correct and whether your employer takes out the taxes for both places (where you work and live) or just where you work and then you have to make the quarterly payments to where you live.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,000 times
What your employer does and what is legal required is not always the same thing.

Your understanding is generally correct. But if you have a employer in the area I suggest you talk directly with them. I can be reasonably sure that your situation is more common than unique.

Most people I know have Columbus tax taken out as the tax is not negotiable. Does not make any difference where you live, Columbus takes their cut.

Then at the end of the year they 'true up' with where they live. Contact whatever area you are going to live for the exact details.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,174,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMeQu View Post
Since this post is not generating any comments, I wanted to try to clarify what I was asking.

If there is anyone that works in Columbus but lives in the suburbs, can you please explain how your local taxes are handled? From what I have been reading, it seems you would pay taxes to Columbus, but you may also have to pay taxes to the place where you live depending on the tax rate (if it is higher than the Columbus tax rate).
Yes, that is usually the case. It will depend on the town, however. Some towns do not require their residents to pay income tax. They only require the people working in the town to pay the tax.

Quote:
I wanted to know if this is correct and whether your employer takes out the taxes for both places (where you work and live) or just where you work and then you have to make the quarterly payments to where you live.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks.
No. The employer is only required to withhold the taxes from within the corporation limit that it resides. If you worked in a place where the tax rate was 2.5% and the town you resided in had a tax rate was 3.0% AND they required residents to pay income tax, you would have to pay the extra 0.5% when filing your return.

http://www.ritaohio.com/map/m_map.htm

Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Thank you all for the information. It is very helpful. We want to be prepared for when we move to Columbus. Things are different in PA. Here, you pay taxes to the city where you live, not where you work. For the city where you work, you pay a $52 yearly fee, that is it (there are some exceptions for "distressed" cities). We wanted to know how different it was in Ohio.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM

198 posts, read 524,806 times
If you live in columbus and work in another city.. then you first pay city tax to the city in which your work is located. then you pay tax to columbus.

columbus is 2.5% tax. you won't be paying more then that.

for example if you worked in Gahanna, you would be paying their full tax of 1.5% to Gahanna, then you would be paying 1.0% tax to Columbus.. making a total of 2.5%.

you always pay city tax where you work first.. then city tax where you live.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Thank you for the clarification. As I stated before, it is different in PA. You pay income taxes to the place where you live only. For where you work, you pay a $52 tax each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus