Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:41 PM

68 posts, read 197,574 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I guess this is more of a proper thread for me.

I accepted an offer today with a very good company, and I'll be working in Granville, OH. I've been to Columbus once before and I really liked the area. I had another offer in Nashville, TN, but my wife and I chose the Columbus area.

We definitely are going to rent before we buy in the area. We do not have any kids at the moment, but looking to have some in the year future.

Any recommendations of upper class suburbs that are within 30 minutes of Granville where we can start checking out the homes. We'll prefer newer homes preferably from 2007. My wife has something against using vinyl as sidings for the house so we are looking for something that preferably all brick. Our price range is in the $350k +. We'll definitely go up for the right price.

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

249 posts, read 609,720 times
New Albany, Gahanna, Westerville (Polaris Area)

Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM

205 posts, read 653,930 times
New Albany is the closest Columbus sub to Granville. Easy commute now that the 161 is complete. You can find all brick houses for around $350k in neighborhoods like Hampsted Village/Hampsted Heath (built between 1995 and 2005), Harrison Pond (Gahanna schools, New Albany mailing address, early-mid 90s I believe), New Albany Links (early 00s to new construction) and perhaps North of Woods (mostly 90s builds). Upper Clarenton is a newer neighborhood and is at the price point but I am not sure if they have all brick homes (still building, though). Most homes at that price range will be at least partial vinyl but there are all brick homes out there. I hate vinyl, too, so I understand where she is coming from. I am not a realtor nor do I have any affiliation with the website realliving.com but I found it an excellent tool for property searches because you could search by subdivision.

Good luck and congrats on the new job.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks guys, I'm checking out new albany links, and it seems pretty good.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM

368 posts, read 638,772 times
granville itself is one of the most affluent suburbs of columbus..i would start there and of course new albany and even northern gahanna are very upscale

Old 01-30-2011, 05:10 PM

So I have 1 more question: My understanding is that in Ohio, folks pay school tax. Is the school tax included in the property tax, or is it taken separately from one's income?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
It's included in your property tax, if you don't own property you don't have to pay.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks CortlandGirl. For the local taxes, do you get taxed for the city you live in, or the city where you work?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 PM

111 posts, read 405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
It's included in your property tax, if you don't own property you don't have to pay.
It depends, some school districts have an income tax instead of property tax, but not nearly as many as those who use a property tax. You can look up the info on the Ohio IRS website I believe...

Old 02-02-2011, 12:49 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,085,472 times
As far as local city income taxes, I believe that you pay for the city you reside in, but if there is also an income tax in your workplace city and the % rate is higher in workplace city, then you pay both the total income tax for the city you reside in and the difference for the city in which you work. I am not entirely positive what happens if you live in a higher income taxed city and work in a city with a lower income tax.

Hypothetical example: I live in New Albany which has, let's make this up, a 1.5% income tax. However, I work in the City of Columbus (let's say the Easton area too make my commute time short), which has a 2.75% income tax. I pay 1.5% to New Albany and a remaining 1.25% to the City of Columbus.

If anyone noticed I screwed up that example, let me know. This is my understanding of the local tax laws, but I am by no means an lawyer in this field so if you have a really detailed question or concern, I'd consult the Ohio IRS website or a local tax attorney. I paid income taxes to Columbus (though I made so little as a college student at the time that I got most of my money back), but had residence in a city without a local income tax, so I didn't have to worry about the split income tax situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus