U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2011, 12:21 PM

77 posts, read 188,216 times
Smile Does Ohio have Natural Disasters? Tornadoes? Floods? Earthquakes? Hurricanes? (Columbus)

Hello, I'm 24-Male. I live in Los Angles Area.
First off- this question applies to Ohio, I just started looking- so far I'm looking at nice places in & near Columbus. Apply this question to anyplace else that is Nice Neighborhoods, well populated area cause I may look there too.

My question is do you guys have Any sort of Natural Disasters in OH? So far I'm looking at Columbus, OH. But will look at all the nice Neighborhood areas that aren't in the middle of nowhere. (Most likely suburbs of the big city's/popular places like Cleveland etc..)

Do you guys have Tornadoes? Floods? Earthquakes? Hurricanes?

I live in California, I guess C.A. is on that Falt line- which is one reason I am looking.

By the way- I want to live in a beautiful home, in a really nice neighborhood- surrounded by nice neighborhoods- full of nice neighbors

I've looked at pictures on Google Satelite of the Columbus area.
Now, I know it looks beautiful- but how are the people? how is that area?
Are the people Nice? Please forgive me, but do you guys have a Big Drug or Meth Problem? Here in L.A. everyone kinda says- if you go where it's Rural, or Woodsy - you bump into lots of Meth! Example, less then 100 miles away, East of LA, a lot of the people, kids, Teens, adults etc.. are just Tweekers (Meth users.) Which also cause other crimes I believe.

Anyway, Do you guys have a Drug Problem?
And are the people nice?

Here in L.A. The people are not nice haha.. I mean.. The average mentality is a "Me First" Mentality, influence by that Very Selfish Rap sort of music. Majority of the people here look like Gang Members, or look like they admire that Thug way of life- & it has an effect on them too.

I love it when I'm in a real nice neighborhood, & everyone's just nice.

I am 24, As far as jobs etc.. I'm a business owner- I can run my business from OH. I can move it there etc.. so work isn't an issue.. Homes.. I was looking at $200,000 -$300,000

So please tell me-
*Do you guys have any sort of natural disasters? if so what kind?

*Do you have Tornadoes?

*Does it Flood?
*Earth Quakes? Hurricanes?

*Is there a Drug Problem?

*Are the people as nice as the area looks? (haha.. are the people nice?)

*Is it a good place to raise a family?
I'm not married yet. I am so looking forward to getting Married & having Kids. Is it a good place to raise a family?

And Do you Like it There???? BE HONEST!!
If you must, write me a direct message!

So I welcome you- SAY WHAT YOU FEEL! Please! Tell Me!
This is my LIFE!!! Please, Sincerely! I am asking you to take a moment, be as honest & as helpful as you can!

It can even be like, Tell me what you Like or Love!!! About Columbus or OH or other areas out there. And Tell me what you don't like/Hate about OH/where you live.

If someone asked me about L.A. I can write a good couple pages why I don't like it.

Also, I've only lived here. My Whole life! I haven't traveled much. I visited WA when I was 6. And less then a year ago went to Vegas for the First time.

Is it fun by the way?
The only real thing I do regularly is Play Hockey. I play Hockey, & guitar.. And hang out w/Family & friends. That pretty much what I do with my free time.

And I don't Drink, Don't smoke weed, Don't smoke cigarettes etc..

Please! Take a moment, to reply to me. PLEASE! I Sincerely Reach out to you for your Advice, for your input.

I ask you, and hey- if you need to, Write my in box.

thank you Very Very much!

Truly Sincerely,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:21 PM

12 posts, read 38,925 times
For people who live in Cbus, we refer to it as the "big little city"... It's a great place to raise a family, we have schools in our area that rank high nationally, but we have cultural aspects of a much larger city. Crime, drugs, gangs, etc... our perception of what qualifies as high is likely very different, so I'm not sure how to answer that question. These issues are problems everywhere! One of our 'burbs had the lowest crime rate/insurance rates in the USA.. I personally don't know a single person to use or be involved with meth/crack... But, do I consider our area having a problem? yes, we need to reduce whatever usage (relatively low) we have going on.
We have an NHL Hockey Team, Columbus Blue Jackets, and several "Chill" facilities that have hockey. If you have any interest in golf whatsoever, we're the place to be! We have courses that would be $200/round anywhere else for $30-$50/round... we're loaded with awesome courses!
I'm well traveled, and have never found another place I'd rather call home. This IS "your life" and if you're considering a move, come for a visit and see what you think for yourself... If I can help in any other way, please don't hesitate asking me... My job is to help people create new lives, I do this full-time!

Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM

111 posts, read 195,909 times
*Do you guys have Tornadoes? Floods? Earthquakes? Hurricanes?

We do have tornadoes from time to time, they are relatively rare and we don't really get enough for you to worry about. Just get a place with a basement. Columbus does have floods rarely (50-100 years) and unless you live along a river or in a low-lying area, you probably won't have to worry about it. When you get insurance they will let you know whether you need flood insurance. No earthquakes, the closet fault line is pretty far away (on the Mississippi River!) We don't get hurricanes, but we occasionally get the rain leftover from them heading north! Again, nothing to be worried about! Columbus's biggest threats come from rainstorms and snow/ice storms...per the county EMA!

*Anyway, Do you guys have a Drug Problem? Not really, I work in drug rehab and I'd say the biggest problem is to the south of the city (not meth problem more of a heroin/oxycontin problem), and suburban punks with too much money/time.

*And are the people nice? I really think so! Midwest in general is pretty nice! Definitely more-so than the big cities! =)

* Homes.. I was looking at $200,000 -$300,000 <<You can get a LOT of house for that kinda money in Columbus! =) In nice neighborhoods

*Is it a good place to raise a family? I'm biased because I grew up in Columbus, but I had a wonderful childhood here...playing street hockey, going to the park, events at the community centers, great schools, etc etc

*It can even be like, Tell me what you Like or Love!!! About Columbus or OH or other areas out there. And Tell me what you don't like/Hate about OH/where you live.

I love that small neighborhoods make up a big city here. You don't get that big city feel. I love the local scene...music, food, arts, festivals, markets...it's on the rise here. The city is really up-and-coming, and I think there will be a lot of growth here in the future! Housing is cheap, the job market didn't take such a hit here, and the schools are excellent. I dunno, just a little bit about what I love about Columbus...!

*Is it fun by the way? Columbus is a blast IMHO, probably no LA, but still fun. If you like Hockey, there are local leagues and then the Blue Jackets in town...I dunno! =)

Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 AM

205 posts, read 331,928 times
I used to live in Los Angeles. Based upon what you say you are looking for, you will love Columbus.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 AM

7,137 posts, read 4,100,383 times
Columbus has been fairly lucky in terms of disasters. A tornado has never hit anywhere near the center of the city, but a few small ones have hit the outskirts over the years, such as in 1974 and 2006.
There are no active faultlines really close, but we do occasionally feel them from other places, such as the New Madrid area up through Illinois. To my knowledge, there has never been one that caused any damage.
Floods have been the greatest disaster. There was a statewide flood in 1913 that hit Columbus also, but it could not happen again even if we had the exact same circumstances.
The remants of Ike were the most damaging for Columbus.
Overall, it's a pretty safe place, though.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,357 times
Hi i live in columbus by a river. when it rains a lot it will flood but only up the bank so nothing to worrie about! and so earthquakes do happen but I've only lived to have one and i didn't even feel it, it wasnt strong either. also I've never been in a tornado but there a quiet a few warnnings but most people i know ignore them... and no hurricans but one time we got the tail of i think hurricane Ike. one falled tree (thank god it fell on the pool) and some branches, it was a mess but cleaned up fast and made gardening easier for my family. The people are really nice here, when i moved we made fast friends! also where i live people dont do drugs/meth/crack etc. there is some smoking but thats everywhere in the world. So if you dont want that do go to the getto, thats all i say!!! nice schools and a good place to check out is Worthington OH. I live really close there and its supper pretty and very nice! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus