Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Columbus pros:

Great restaurant scene
Cool neighborhoods like Grandview, Bexley, German/Italian/Victorian Village, short north
Good sports town
Good location
Cheap cost of living
Good economy

Cons:

No real public transit, you"ll be driving everywhere
Bad winters
Crime seems to be on the rise(at the time I left for SoCal there were PD choppers buzzing my apartment complex at least weekly).

I am happier here in SoCal but I still recommend the C-Bus to anyone. I actually rented a TWO bedroom for 350 on E. 12th ave once upon a time....crappy place but pretty much downtown, in the 15th biggest American city. Man that place seems like a penthouse compared to my pad here...
theres the COTA bus (central ohio transit authority) and they have the park and rides where you can park your car and then ride the bus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,008,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t80tank View Post
Biggest pro about living in Ohio is you know you can always move out, and that there are better places to live. I've lived here my entire life (31 years) and can't wait to move.
You are moving to Oklahoma, perhaps one of the most boring states in the nation. Let's not pretend like you're making an upgrade. The fact that you've only lived in one place your entire life says a lot, as people who haven't been anywhere seem to be under the impression that the grass is always greener everywhere. Most of the time, it's not. You should probably gain a bit more experience before condemning where you're from.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,008,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
theres the COTA bus (central ohio transit authority) and they have the park and rides where you can park your car and then ride the bus
I think they mean more like light rail/subway/streetcar type mass transit, which we definitely don't have. Every major city has buses, and I agree that our public transit is not that great.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM

4,201 posts, read 3,257,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I think they mean more like light rail/subway/streetcar type mass transit, which we definitely don't have. Every major city has buses, and I agree that our public transit is not that great.
Yes, that is what I meant. I live in a county with just over 100,000, and we have a COTA likebuss system here.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 27,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxedtodeath View Post
As a brand new Ohioan...

Pros:
Economy with more upside potential than downside (hopefully)
Strong/robust people due to weather conditioning (weak have mostly fled to NC leaving the remaining gene pool strong)
Cultural diversity - big city living to Amish country
Professional sports team's diversity - range from average to terrible
Good schools if you look
Infinite supply of fresh water
Beautiful summers
Fall leaves
Great people
Low skin cancer rates

Cons:
Damaged pride
People can be overly pessimistic
Political environment not healthy as should be
Yes, yes yes! I laughed at damaged pride. I have been avoiding my family because They still ask why I moved from NYC to Columbus. Who knows anymore. The weather isn't even that bad compared to what I'm used to -- but everyone seems to hibernate in the winter which can lead to cabin fever and rash decisions to quit grad school and move to Texas. You've been warned.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:46 PM

133 posts, read 589,026 times
Columbus isn't bad. Personally, I'd prefer to live closer to the coast but ya know...

Pros:
There is always something to do
Good restaurants
Top rated Zoo
Decent museums and theaters
Tons of shopping centers
Just a few hours from Lake Erie and Put-In-Bay, and just 30 minutes from Alum Creek
Decent summers
Not a bad drive to NYC, DC, or Chicago
Lots of sports teams/sporting events to choose from
Nice parks
Home prices are reasonable
Good schools in the suburbs

Cons:
We are landlocked and far from the ocean
Looooong, dreary winters with no sunshine for months at a time
Our school systems are broke and are in the process of cutting lots of staff
High property taxes
Crime rate is high in certain areas of the city
Did I mention the awful winters??? lol

Overall, I think Columbus is a nice city. The biggest complaint for me is that I really hate the winters. It's not that it is too cold; it's that there is NO SUNSHINE for months!!! But if that isn't an issue for you, then you'll be just fine. Welcome!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM

133 posts, read 589,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest pitstop View Post
Yes, yes yes! I laughed at damaged pride. I have been avoiding my family because They still ask why I moved from NYC to Columbus. Who knows anymore. The weather isn't even that bad compared to what I'm used to -- but everyone seems to hibernate in the winter which can lead to cabin fever and rash decisions to quit grad school and move to Texas. You've been warned.
This is too funny!! I swear, every single winter I beg for my husband to move us out of here and head south! I have been known to break down and cry in misery during January and February

Old 04-12-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
The one con you mentioned is not really true. Overall crime, like just about everywhere else in the US, has been generally falling for years.
The wiki entry for Cbus has it ranked 38th most dangerous. I left in late 2008, I was living near Clime and Georgesville.....we had so many car break ins(and at least one car theft) that CPD had to send an officer to our rental office to give a speech to assuage everyone. PD helicopters buzzing the area was common at night, among other things. Also, when I left CPD was on a major ad blitz to hire more cops.

Oh yeah....Georgesville and Clime brings me to another CON-unless you live in one of the aforementioned trendy neighborhoods it will feel like you live in Mayberry....

Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Also according to wiki-Cbus is the largest US metro area without any kind of rail service.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,406 times
Default Columbus Pros and Cons

Pros:
-Great city to raise kids - especially in the better school districts
-Lots of outdoor activities within one hour radius
-Good job market for professionals (number of Fortune 500 companies here, not to mention OSU and state of OHio)
-Plenty of good restaurants
-Entertainment not too bad - get a good mix of national acts that play in Columbus (although we lost our outdoor amphitheatre a few years ago); off-broadway shows; several good shopping malls; short north
-MLS Soccer and NHL Hockey are fun - and plenty of OSU sporting events, and really nice minor league baseball stadium.
-Downtown has really been updated - nice new large park, landscaping near the river, a good amount of new condos and townhouses over the last 5 - 8 years

Cons:
-Buckeye fever (unless your a big Buckeye fan)
-Winters are too cold, long and cloudy
-Public transportation is almost non-existant
-Downtown is empty after 6pm M-F and Sunday
-City income tax is 2.5%!!!
-Property taxes are high man
-Our airport is not a hub - thus not many nonstop flights unless (years ago we were a hub for Northwest and that was pretty nice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus