U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
Question wrongfully fired for theft

I clean houses and recently me and my partner were fired for stealing 2 rolls of quarters from a clients house. I agreed to a lie detector test and my employer said she would not pay for it. She said she is firing us both because neither of us will fess up.I know I didn't take them. Can she fire both or even one of us with no proof of who did it. The client swares they were there that morning.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:52 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,660,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarado4 View Post
I clean houses and recently me and my partner were fired for stealing 2 rolls of quarters from a clients house. I agreed to a lie detector test and my employer said she would not pay for it. She said she is firing us both because neither of us will fess up.I know I didn't take them. Can she fire both or even one of us with no proof of who did it. The client swares they were there that morning.
You could probably call the company you work for and find out the company rules on firings. They may not actually need to prove anything. And it will basically come down to your word against theirs, which in the end, you will lose.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:55 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,823,284 times
Ohio is an at will state. Meaning employers do not have to give a reason to terminate their relationship with you. They can do it on suspicion.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:57 PM

359 posts, read 302,998 times
Though Ohio is an at will state, you could probably seek legal council and win in litigation if you wanted to go that route. If the company or client has no evidence then a decent lawyer can make something happen. The question would be if the outcome would be worth the litigation.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM

8,525 posts, read 7,996,423 times
There are plenty of those kinds of jobs in Columbus. Just take the loss and mover on. You could be working within a month, doing the same work if you apply at enough places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus