Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,946,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockindabuildin View Post
When I lived on the Northside most of the racism I saw was from whites AND blacks against Somalians. Take that for what you will.
I don't think that is racism. It may have more to do with cultural differences. For whatever reason, many Somalians are perceived as rude... and unfortunately because of their diet, do not tend to smell very good.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:58 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,532,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't think that is racism. It may have more to do with cultural differences.
It may not be out-and-out racism, but there is some very strong xenophobia going on. I used to work with an organization that did a tremendous amount of work with the local Somali community, particularly along the Cleveland Ave. and Morse Rd. corridors. The Somalis in Columbus deal with some rather abhorent behavior from the area residents. It isn't just "cultural differences," there are a not-insignificant number of people who have no desire to see them in the city.

One caveat I will add, however, is that this type of behavior is in no way particular to or exceptional in Columbus. Many pockets of immigrant communities have faced or are facing similar issues in cities across the country.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM

249 posts, read 607,010 times
Quote:
I don't think that is racism. It may have more to do with cultural differences. For whatever reason, many Somalians are perceived as rude... and unfortunately because of their diet, do not tend to smell very good.

I don't think its fair to make this generalization for the entire somoli community. There are alot of 2nd gerneration somalians who do not where the traditional attire or may not eat the traditional foods.

Also in my opinion the somalian and ethiopian people (women) are just beautiful.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
I don't think its fair to make this generalization for the entire somoli community. There are alot of 2nd gerneration somalians who do not where the traditional attire or may not eat the traditional foods.

Also in my opinion the somalian and ethiopian people (women) are just beautiful.
I worked in an area with a very high Somali population, mostly 1st generation, and those generalizations are, unfortunately, very true. Of course this does not encompass the entire population by any means, but I have heard this kind of experience from many people. 2nd and 3rd generations, I agree, tend to be different.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It may not be out-and-out racism, but there is some very strong xenophobia going on. I used to work with an organization that did a tremendous amount of work with the local Somali community, particularly along the Cleveland Ave. and Morse Rd. corridors. The Somalis in Columbus deal with some rather abhorent behavior from the area residents. It isn't just "cultural differences," there are a not-insignificant number of people who have no desire to see them in the city.

One caveat I will add, however, is that this type of behavior is in no way particular to or exceptional in Columbus. Many pockets of immigrant communities have faced or are facing similar issues in cities across the country.
I do think there are some cultural issues, though. I don't see too many problems with the Asian-Hispanic immigrants like I hear/see with Somalians. I don't see Columbus as being a racist place at all, and from my own experience, I can easily see where culture plays a big role in perception.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I do think there are some cultural issues, though. I don't see too many problems with the Asian-Hispanic immigrants like I hear/see with Somalians. I don't see Columbus as being a racist place at all, and from my own experience, I can easily see where culture plays a big role in perception.
Disliking or "having a problem with" a particular group of people due to their culture is the definition of xenophobia--and there is no question that that goes on in Columbus.

But as I made clear in my post, I don't find the view that certain Columbus residents have towards the Somali community to be particularly unique. In DC, there is significant tension between the A-A community and the Ethiopian community. I have relatives in a small southwestern Missouri town that happens to have a rather high Vietnamese population, and there are tensions there. You're going to find a degree of xenophobia in any community where a subset of the population differs substantially from the cultural norms of the community.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 AM

And I really think you are using racism and xenophobia in the wrong context. Disliking certain aspects of certain Somalian immigrants is neither racism nor xenophobia. Unless you are trying to say that disliking something about someone is xenophobic on its own.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
And I really think you are using racism and xenophobia in the wrong context.
My context is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandyou
It isn't just "cultural differences," there are a not-insignificant number of people who have no desire to see them in the city.
I'm not talking about thinking that they smell or dress funny, I'm talking about the people that find them to be intrusive, non-assimilating outsiders and believe that they should relocate somewhere else.

I certainly do not think that a majority of Columbus residents harbor these views--to most residents, Columbus' Somali community is a nearly invisible curiosity that warrants very little thought. But there is undoubtedly a degree of hostility directed at the Somalians here, and it's not all from people who just think that they have funny-smelling food.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,054,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Everyone is NOT racist............we may have prejudice's but I would not say everyone is racist.

Repeat that to yourself, it even sounds foolish." everyone is racist".
of or characteristic of race or races or arising from differences among groups; "racial differences";

"Polynesians have black hair" Hey! That's racist!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
My context is:

I'm not talking about thinking that they smell or dress funny, I'm talking about the people that find them to be intrusive, non-assimilating outsiders and believe that they should relocate somewhere else.

I certainly do not think that a majority of Columbus residents harbor these views--to most residents, Columbus' Somali community is a nearly invisible curiosity that warrants very little thought. But there is undoubtedly a degree of hostility directed at the Somalians here, and it's not all from people who just think that they have funny-smelling food.
I just have not seen that kind of thing here in the way you describe. Not to say it doesn't exist, as I'm sure it does, but from my own personal experience, I would bet that the vast majority of the issues come from cultural differences. Particularly with 1st generation immigrants, you are going to have two very different groups trying to understand each other, and often times it doesn't work very well. All immigrant groups go through this, even when it was largely European 100 years ago. It takes time to find a place in a new culture, city, country, society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus