Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM

89 posts, read 119,834 times

Advertisements

You probably moved already, but I would say UA. I lived on the NW side of Columbus and I love UA. The houses are great (not cookie cutter) and the people are nice. Plus they have sidewalks and its closer to OSU and Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 9,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86 View Post
Coffman's building is older than the other two (to be sure), but the student body hails primarily from neighborhoods inside the city limits of Dublin. The percentage of students on free/reduced lunch is lower at Coffman than at Scioto (and much, much lower than the state average). Coffman would still be considered an affluent school by almost any standard, even with some of the most elite neighborhoods being redistricted to Jerome.

Part of that statement may be true, but there are more homeless people that live in the Coffman area, and the house value in the coffman area is significantly lower than Scioto's too. I don't know where you are getting your sources from, but according to Dublin school records as of 2011, more students at Coffman had reduced lunches than Scioto (by about 4.5%) and this was about EQUAL to the state average. I've attended classes at Scioto, lived in the Scioto area, and frankly I'd say Coffman should rank 3rd. Also, there have been more violent crimes in the Coffman area, (Sunnoco Shooting, Girl Raped in Coffman Bathroom, Bank robberies) and drug problems (according to school records) tend to be worse at Coffman than Scioto. SOME of Coffman may be affluent, but I highly disagree with anybody who says Coffman is a more affluent area than Scioto.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoy38 View Post
Part of that statement may be true, but there are more homeless people that live in the Coffman area, and the house value in the coffman area is significantly lower than Scioto's too. I don't know where you are getting your sources from, but according to Dublin school records as of 2011, more students at Coffman had reduced lunches than Scioto (by about 4.5%) and this was about EQUAL to the state average. I've attended classes at Scioto, lived in the Scioto area, and frankly I'd say Coffman should rank 3rd. Also, there have been more violent crimes in the Coffman area, (Sunnoco Shooting, Girl Raped in Coffman Bathroom, Bank robberies) and drug problems (according to school records) tend to be worse at Coffman than Scioto. SOME of Coffman may be affluent, but I highly disagree with anybody who says Coffman is a more affluent area than Scioto.
People who have always lived in the suburbs probably aren't the best barometers for what constitutes a lot of crime. Dublin is not violent, not in the least.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
People who have always lived in the suburbs probably aren't the best barometers for what constitutes a lot of crime. Dublin is not violent, not in the least.

First of all, I haven't lived in the suburbs all my life(in my earlier post, I meant to say I've attended parent-staff meetings at Scioto) , I moved to Dublin from Atlanta, and I've seen crime first hand (I was a security guard at an Atlanta school.) If you don't believe me, look up all the people IN DUBLIN, who have been arrested for domestic violence and assault over the years, and you might change your mind.

Last edited by ChevyBoy38; 10-07-2012 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM

4 posts, read 10,646 times
Quote:
I'd honestly have to disagree, I too have lived in Urban areas (Jacksonville, Florida), I've seen plenty of crime and violence first hand, and I can say that Dublin can EASILY fit in the category for violence. No, Dublin is not a raging inferno of violence, but violence certainly occurs in Dublin. I remember once visiting my sister's apartment near bridge street, and having to call the police because the couple next door were having a violent dispute. Another time I remember sitting at the Dublin police station identifying a mugger, who I'd seen attack a man in a Giant Eagle parking lot. And believe me, those are just a FEW examples, I've seen much more violence in Dublin, on the news and in public.

Just because it is a suburb does not mean it can't have crime.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyBoy38 View Post
First of all, I haven't lived in the suburbs all my life(in my earlier post, I meant to say I've attended parent-staff meetings at Scioto) , I moved to Dublin from Atlanta, and I've seen crime first hand (I was a security guard at an Atlanta school.) If you don't believe me, look up all the people IN DUBLIN, who have been arrested for domestic violence and assault over the years, and you might change your mind.
I have no doubt there are quite a few, that doesn't change the narrative. On a rate by rate comparison, Dublin just is not dangerous or violent.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt there are quite a few, that doesn't change the narrative. On a rate by rate comparison, Dublin just is not dangerous or violent.
I never said Dublin was dangerous. I don't believe Dublin is very dangerous, I just believe violence can occur anywhere, even Dublin. Glad there is something we can agree on

Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIBCgal13 View Post
I'd honestly have to disagree, I too have lived in Urban areas (Jacksonville, Florida), I've seen plenty of crime and violence first hand, and I can say that Dublin can EASILY fit in the category for violence. No, Dublin is not a raging inferno of violence, but violence certainly occurs in Dublin. I remember once visiting my sister's apartment near bridge street, and having to call the police because the couple next door were having a violent dispute. Another time I remember sitting at the Dublin police station identifying a mugger, who I'd seen attack a man in a Giant Eagle parking lot. And believe me, those are just a FEW examples, I've seen much more violence in Dublin, on the news and in public.

Just because it is a suburb does not mean it can't have crime.
Okay then...

Average Crime Rates 2005-2010 per 1,000 people.
Murder: 0
Assault: 0.1
Rape: 0.1
Robbery: 0.2

Total Violent Crime Rate Average: 0.5
Total Property Crime Rate Average: 19.2

Yeah, what fear must the residents of Dublin be living in with those rates?

BTW, here were the total reported violent crimes for the entire 2005-2010 period.
Murder: 0
Assault: 17
Rape: 26
Robbery: 54

You were apparently witness to half the crimes in Dublin for the past 5-7 years.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Not all crime is reported.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Not all crime is reported.
True, but to have rates come up significantly to make Dublin "violent", there needs to be several times more crimes occurring that aren't reported. That's really really hard to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus