U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 10:46 AM

7,520 posts, read 4,684,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadismak View Post
Welcome to Ohio...The past few months were a little too grey for me as it was extremely cloudy. I'm confident you'll like spring. Lets hope we get some snow soon just to complete my needs....this whole winter weather has been strange.
I moved here from Steubenville, Oh in 98 & I find that Columbus is much cleaner and healthier way of living...especially the suburbs such as Dublin. Definitely take advantage of all the parks & trails around for exercise and getting sun. The Columbus Metro Park system is one of the best. Our citywide curbside recycling beginning this year is a big plus for the city. ...Welcome.
It was unusually gray just because Ohio had it's wettest year on record, and most cities, including Columbus, had their respective wettest years on record. That said, for those who don't like winter, it sure hasn't shown up this season. It's been warm with almost no snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COscrapper View Post
denvertoohio: your entire post could've been ripped right from our mouths! My husband and I have said the exact same things, especially regarding schools and weather. When we first discussed this move and looked at all the pros and cons, I kept saying I felt guilty keeping us in Denver just because I loved the weather there! Of course, there's KINDA more to it than that. The great weather translates into a completely different lifestyle - where people are outside all the time and active. It's just a way of life. Whenever we are back east (Ohio, PA, wherever), we are always struck by the high # of people who are obese, right away. Sad but true; it's just a different lifestyle.

So, I thought I should post a little UPDATE since I started this crazy thread: We are, in fact, living in Dublin now! We are still sorting boxes and living in chaos, but we arrived just over a week ago. My 6 year old started 1st grade last Thursday and loves it - he only has 18 in his class, which I am thrilled about. In Colorado, he was in supposedly one of the best school districts in the state, but due to crowding and budget cuts he had 30 in his kindergarten class - with NO aide. As a former teacher, I think class-size is HANDS-DOWN the most important factor in what your kid gets out of school; you can be in a crummy district but have a great support system at home, and with a small class and still get a fabulous education. So yeah, his class is now HALF the size of what it was last year and he loves it. That alone makes me feel like the move is worth it. However, I must say I'm surprised at how much I like it so far. The weather has been gorgeous, our house is MUCH bigger than what we had in Colorado (yet for less than what we paid there!), and Dublin is pretty similar to where we lived before in that it's a planned community, has lots of parks, rec center, everything is close, etc. Oh, and the eczema me and the kids dealt with in Colorado? Almost gone! I love the cute little downtown in Dublin, too - just wish it was bigger. So, yeah we've only been here a week and a half, but so far it seems to be the right decision. Now, ask me again in the dead of winter when I haven't seen the sun for months and I might have something different to say, ha ha...
Welcome to Ohio! I am just south of you in Galloway. Wanted to see how things are going since you moved here a few months ago. What are you thoughts? We have been thinking about moving out of Ohio for some time and I have always leaned towards the Denver area. It would be nice to hear someones opinion after having moved here and spending a few months among us. Especially now that it is the "gray" season

Old 02-11-2012, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 4,667 times
Default Our move was similar!

Read your post & thought I needed to share our recent move, too. My wife, daughter and I originally moved from Tampa, FL to Portland, OR. We heard from Portland people "why the hell did you move here from Florida"? Easy answer, actually...FL is a mess right now; economy, housing markets, schools, etc. and we always wanted to move west. We made the move and loved Portland, the Coast, NW, etc. but realized what we truly needed was a better quality of life. We thought our quality of life would change dramatically from FL and WHEN we had free time, the NW was unbelieveable! However, our jobs (wife's in particular) turned out being a lot different than we were lead to believe and that work-life balance thing never happened. We didn't have family support and our jobs didn't allow us the free time to acquire a strong friends "network". Sooo, we upped and moved to Columbus (my family is here), landed 2 great jobs and have our daughter positioned in a great school district. Are winters cold here, yes (although it's been very mild so far this year). Are there big mountains like the Rockies, Cascades, Mt. hood, etc., No. However, having family and friends near has made a world of difference to our peace of mind and quality of life. The weather is a factor, but not huge. I'm sure the majority of us on these forums have full time jobs that probably require us to work 5 days a week and inside a building. So really, how much does the weather affect your life 5 days out of the week? Plus, you brought up a good point about location to other areas of the country and cities. It's not possible to hop in the car and drive 3 hours and end up in a major city from Denver. Thats a huge plus about the Midwest, I think. Columbus will give you more of an opportunity to visit different cities, coastlines, etc. by car instead of always having to fly. Geez, I've written a lot.

I guess it comes down to what you want most for you AND your kids. We cut down the selfish parts of our lives and came to a place that offered us family, friends, great schools, better cost of living & a true work-life balance. Columbus is a diverse, liberal/growing city (765,000 ppl city limits) and has some great restaurants! Ohio State is massive and produces a new, young and multi-ethnic workforce all the time which helps enhance the economy. My biggest knock on the City is get a light rail system!! We got spoiled in Portland with the MAX & Columbus is way too big & growing not to have something for mass transit in the works. I'll get off my soapbox about that Anyway, good luck with your move and finding a great area to raise your kids...sorry for my long post and let me know if we can be of any help while you're settling in!

Columbus

Old 02-29-2012, 10:51 PM

26 posts, read 41,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Except it doesn't lean more cloudy than sunny. The National Weather Service defines sky conditions on a range of 0-10, 10 being totally overcast all 24 hours, and 0 being completely clear all 24 hours. Generally, days with numbers of 8-10 are considered cloudy, 4-7 are considered partly cloudy (the vast majority of weather anywhere in the US), and 0-3 as clear. Because weather comes up as a negative so much from people who don't live here, I looked up Columbus' numbers for the past decade.

The average # of overcast days in Columbus the last decade was 145, The other 220 days saw partly cloudy to clear conditions. However, even these numbers are skewed considering that there are only 2 months that feature more overcast days than clear/partly cloudy, and those are, of course, December and January.

You see plenty of sun here. Maybe not in December and January, but you see it more than you don't. And honestly, if this is your biggest concern about where you live, I envy your problems.
Compared to CO where they have lots of sun. That is the point she would be leaving certain things she really likes and going to one major thing she hated as a child. And yes whether affects everything else like lifestyle. I lived in Tokyo and Seattle and London are sunny compared to the rain you get in that temperate monsoon zone. I had trouble bringing my daughter to the park lots of times because either it was raining or muddy. The point is all else being equal is it sunny. I can't understand why people take their city so seriously and defensively. Is it cloudier than Denver or not?

Old 03-01-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilldomain View Post
Compared to CO where they have lots of sun. That is the point she would be leaving certain things she really likes and going to one major thing she hated as a child. And yes whether affects everything else like lifestyle. I lived in Tokyo and Seattle and London are sunny compared to the rain you get in that temperate monsoon zone. I had trouble bringing my daughter to the park lots of times because either it was raining or muddy. The point is all else being equal is it sunny. I can't understand why people take their city so seriously and defensively. Is it cloudier than Denver or not?
She's already moved. Whatever hangups you or anyone else has about cloudy days is moot in this thread.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,168 times
Default moving from Montana to Columbus

Hi! I am moving out of the Rockies and to the flatland of Ohio as well, and just wanted some feedback. I lived in West Virginia for about 19 years, and really was not happy there for various reasons. I would like some feedback too, regarding the city as a whole. I am older...46..and single, and am interested in thoughts regarding the safety of suburbs for a single woman like myself. I've been to Columbus, found an awesome church there...Xenos...and have spent some time in Ghanna as well. I appreciate any feedback.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM

5,853 posts, read 3,382,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haitimom View Post
Hi! I am moving out of the Rockies and to the flatland of Ohio as well, and just wanted some feedback. I lived in West Virginia for about 19 years, and really was not happy there for various reasons. I would like some feedback too, regarding the city as a whole. I am older...46..and single, and am interested in thoughts regarding the safety of suburbs for a single woman like myself. I've been to Columbus, found an awesome church there...Xenos...and have spent some time in Ghanna as well. I appreciate any feedback.
The Columbus suburbs are completely safe, and much of the city is as well. You'll like it better than West Virginia, I'm sure.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,168 times
Thank you for that input! I really do feel it will be a good move. Montana is my home, as I was born and raised here, but it's very difficult to make a living, and the cost of that living is very prohibitive. I'm looking to be close to my kids (both are in the military) and it is far cheaper flying out of Columbus or Dayton to anywhere, than flying out of MT.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM

28 posts, read 58,963 times
Well well! Got a recent email that there's been a new post on this thread, so I thought I'd come check it out. A few have asked what I think now that we've lived here a year, so I will try to sum it up:

It's...ok. The weather (which was so hotly debated on this thread) has actually not been as bad as I remember it growing up in PA. I mean, there has been much more sun than I expected - and pretty much no winter! We were able to spend a lot of time outside this year (although it would've been nice for my son to go sledding at least ONCE), and it just hasn't been the all-grey-all-the-time I was expecting. Is it anywhere close to the beautiful weather in Denver? No. But it's livable. I really like Dublin, although I wish they'd get going on this big urban-type redevelopment plan they've been talking about. It seems like they're doing a lot of work in the Columbus area, to make it more modern and offer more amenities like we are used to in Denver, so I'm glad about that.

So, yeah I'll always love Denver - but moving here has been alright.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COscrapper View Post
Well well! Got a recent email that there's been a new post on this thread, so I thought I'd come check it out. A few have asked what I think now that we've lived here a year, so I will try to sum it up:

It's...ok. The weather (which was so hotly debated on this thread) has actually not been as bad as I remember it growing up in PA. I mean, there has been much more sun than I expected - and pretty much no winter! We were able to spend a lot of time outside this year (although it would've been nice for my son to go sledding at least ONCE), and it just hasn't been the all-grey-all-the-time I was expecting. Is it anywhere close to the beautiful weather in Denver? No. But it's livable. I really like Dublin, although I wish they'd get going on this big urban-type redevelopment plan they've been talking about. It seems like they're doing a lot of work in the Columbus area, to make it more modern and offer more amenities like we are used to in Denver, so I'm glad about that.

So, yeah I'll always love Denver - but moving here has been alright.
The Bridge Street Corridor plan has been adopted and is moving forward, but it's really a long-term development plan. Any new development will have to be built to the new standards but it's going to take time to see significant changes. I only know of one project that has really begun recently, and that is the Ohio University buiding a $100 million campus there. That alone should bring in several thousand students and you will probably see related retail/restaurant development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus