U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM

201 posts, read 370,947 times

Advertisements

wife and I are relocating to her home state of Ohio. Her family is from Cincinnati area originally, now residing in Dayton. We are likely to move to Cincinnati as it is close to her friends and family, but wanted to take a peak at Columbus as well. I'm doing outside sales and Columbus is a little more central to my clients, and seems a bit cheaper than Cincinnati as well.

Overall, how would you compare the two? I'm really partial to the terrain in southern Ohio, love the hills, the river, etc., so not sure if Columbus has areas like this I may have missed?

thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:44 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,505,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
wife and I are relocating to her home state of Ohio. Her family is from Cincinnati area originally, now residing in Dayton. We are likely to move to Cincinnati as it is close to her friends and family, but wanted to take a peak at Columbus as well. I'm doing outside sales and Columbus is a little more central to my clients, and seems a bit cheaper than Cincinnati as well.

Overall, how would you compare the two? I'm really partial to the terrain in southern Ohio, love the hills, the river, etc., so not sure if Columbus has areas like this I may have missed?

thanks in advance!
Oh yes, Columbus has those areas just a short drive from the city. Plus, Columbus' metro park system is hard to beat.

Check out the Hocking Hills Region which is a short drive from Columbus:

hocking hills - Google Search

Hocking Hills Lodging, Dining, & More | Official Visitors Guide of Hocking Hills, Ohio

Hocking Hills Ohio | Official Visitors Web Site - hockinghills.com

Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 13,951 times
Columbus is the only growing city in Ohio, and they have a huge creative class. Also if your vegan-sh this is probablly the best city to have many options. Currently they are building a huge network of bike paths throughout the city. If you want to see the hills, go southeast to Landcaster (ex-burb) off of 33. Cincy to me seems "up-tight" for me and trying to save their city in the wrong ways. I like the people in Columbus and the energy. It does feel alive.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:46 PM

41 posts, read 42,207 times
We have lived in Columbus for 16 years after living and growing up in the Cinci area. Came to Columbus with bad attitude thinking it was a cow town. Would NEVER move back to Cinci. Columbus has become a wonderful place. The commutes are incredibly decent for a big city due to the fact we aren't land/form locked by mountains, rivers and such. Airport easy to get in and out of, too. Imagine a circle drawn around the city (which is basically what 270 does). The NW, N and NE are all very well planned communities. You may pay a bit more in taxes but you get more, too. Schools in Dublin are ranked nationally very well. Youth sports opportunities are fabulous and community involvement opportunities are endless. We were not hit by the housing recession here anywhere nearly as hard as the rest of the country. My realtor friends in Dublin are listing/selling homes faster than ever. I would say Dublin, in particular suffered a "correction" but not really a recession. The correction was due. The building and people moving up a home level was out of control. That is back in line better now. Any of the north of 270 communities have quick access to 270, 71 and 315. My DH gets downtown easily in 30 minutes. The downtown of Columbus has transformed in 15 years and all without raising a levy or taxes to build it. There is real night life now!!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 PM

wife and I were set on the Hyde Park area of Cincy, but my new employer really wants us to look at Columbus. What would the Columbus version of these 3 areas be:

Hinsdale, IL
Birmingham, MI
Hyde Park (Cincy)

these are the ideal size communities we like, middle to upper class, shopping, parks, etc...

Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Check into German Village, Italian Village, etc. Great inner ring neighborhoods!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM

1,378 posts, read 2,497,325 times
Victorian Village, which is on the other side of the Short North from the Italian Village, is another possibility. I'd also look into Grandview Heights, though finding a house there is tricky because of the limited stock (the city is rather small but has a vibrant center). Victorian Village is in Columbus and Grandview Heights is an inner-ring suburb.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Victorian Village, which is on the other side of the Short North from the Italian Village, is another possibility. I'd also look into Grandview Heights, though finding a house there is tricky because of the limited stock (the city is rather small but has a vibrant center). Victorian Village is in Columbus and Grandview Heights is an inner-ring suburb.
How urban are the villages? Meaning how far from major highways, average lot size, quality of schools, walkability, etc? Wife and I may not full blown suburbia just yet, but are also looking to get away from full blown urban. The cities mentioned above are ideal Midwestern towns for us, anything comparable in Columbus?

Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
How urban are the villages? Meaning how far from major highways, average lot size, quality of schools, walkability, etc? Wife and I may not full blown suburbia just yet, but are also looking to get away from full blown urban. The cities mentioned above are ideal Midwestern towns for us, anything comparable in Columbus?
Columbus' inner ring suburbs are very urban and have great character. Plus, the school systems are great! Walkability it seems is very important to all of them, and you are not far from downtown and other ammenities in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus