Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 PM
zub zub started this thread

1 posts, read 2,469 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Chillicothe and commute to Gahanna (north Hamilton rd area) for work. My husband will soon be working in west columbus, various locations along the outerbelt. We want to relocate to columbus area.

We have a 2nd grader, so I need to have good schools, but we dont have a bunch of money, so dont even bother touting the wonderful schools in dublin or UA or NA. We're more in the grove-city price range.
For the location I HAVE TO be able to get from Gahanna to the area we live in to pick daughter up at 6 from whatever aftercare we end up with and I dont want the possibility of being late, so I'd like to usually be able to get there in 30 mins. or so

Ive been thinking Pickerington, Grove City, Westerville, Pataskala, Hilliard or Gahanna.

I dont know about Patascala, gahanna and westerville because it might be a long drive for my husband. And I kind of hate to go to that far north in franklin anyway because we have family in southern ohio. BUT Im concerned about Grove City in general because I dont have a very good impression of it and I am concerned about commute times for GC and for pickerington, Pataskala, and Hilliard.

Does anyone know the commute times from gahanna to the places I mentioned? (rush hour)
Any other comments on my choices?

Last edited by zub; 08-05-2007 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added hilliard..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 07:01 PM

150 posts, read 980,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zub View Post
I currently live in Chillicothe and commute to Gahanna (north Hamilton rd area) for work. My husband will soon be working in west columbus, various locations along the outerbelt. We want to relocate to columbus area.

We have a 2nd grader, so I need to have good schools, but we dont have a bunch of money, so dont even bother touting the wonderful schools in dublin or UA or NA. We're more in the grove-city price range.
For the location I HAVE TO be able to get from Gahanna to the area we live in to pick daughter up at 6 from whatever aftercare we end up with and I dont want the possibility of being late, so I'd like to usually be able to get there in 30 mins. or so

Ive been thinking Pickerington, Grove City, Westerville, Pataskala, Hilliard or Gahanna.

I dont know about Pataskala, gahanna and westerville because it might be a long drive for my husband. And I kind of hate to go to that far north in franklin anyway because we have family in southern ohio. BUT Im concerned about Grove City in general because I dont have a very good impression of it and I am concerned about commute times for GC and for pickerington, Pataskala, and Hilliard.

Does anyone know the commute times from gahanna to the places I mentioned? (rush hour)
Any other comments on my choices?
Dublin, New Albany and UA aren't for right for everyone. You can find "excellent" schools in other areas, and it sounds like you've narrowed it down pretty well. You might also want to check Columbus (the Beechwold/NW part of Columbus tends to have pretty good schools, and it would be more central for both of you (although your commute to Gahanna could be a little longer).

Here is a link for school information. You can check the designation of the schools in any districts you might be considering.

Ohio Department of Education Home Page (go to school rating data)

I don't know what the commute to Gahanna would be from many of the areas you mentioned, but I lived in Grandview and went to Charles Penzone in Gahanna every few months for a two years and I think it might be pushing it to work in Gahanna and get to aftercare in Hilliard or Grove City in half an hour (assuming you are commuting during rush hour).

So, to minimize commute time and maximize the time spent with your daughter, it might be worth looking into Gahanna first. Unless you live in the middle, one of you is going to have a longer commute (obviously). I think the schools are pretty good, but you can check that using the link!

I also think Gahanna would be an easier commute for your husband than Pickerington. But I don't like Pickerington at all. Now this is just my opinion, and I'm sure many people love it. I don't think Pickerington has a great tax base, so I would be concerned about what the schools will be like 10 years from now, expecially with continued development. I feel the same about Grove City.

Hilliard is probably pushing it for commute times to Gahanna, but if your husband could pick up your daughter if you're running late, it might be worth considering.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
I'd probably look into Worthington and possibly Clintonville.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:56 PM

26 posts, read 134,487 times
Just a FYI Clintonville is Columbus. As for a middle ground, you can look in the Worthington School districs, or look for Dublin schools with Columbus Taxes. These homes can be much less than Dublin proper. Gahanna has a strong school district and has alot of choices in single family homes priced from the low 100's to $150K. Gahanna would give you a 1/2 hour commute if you have good access to 270/670 freeways. Pataskala would be about an hour drive to get to the west side during rush hour due to backups on I-70. Hope this helps and good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus