Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 47,043 times

Advertisements

I have noticed a few of these have been answered in some other threads so I will try and keep this fairly specific as possible.

My family and I live in Western Canada. I am currently finishing my Bachelors and I am looking to go to OSU next fall to do graduate studies. I expect we will be in Columbus for several years (if accepted).

I have six kids who at that point will be 12, 10, 7, 7, 4, and 1.

What I am looking for is three different things...

1. is there a place where I can find a map with neighborhoods named on it? Most of the areas that are mentioned seem to be neighborhoods rather than streets so google map and the like does not look that helpful.

2. I am not what the OSU area is like but is there relatively inexpensive ($1000 or less per month) houses available in the area? Or would I just be better off trying to purchase a home.

3. My wife is taking a course as a Speech Pathologist Assistant. Would there be work in that field she might be able to take?

Any other info about the areas and schools would be great but that is where I need to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,479 times
Default sjtigers

I'll take a shot at trying to help. Check out this page: City of Columbus: LINKS
They have links to info about different neighborhoods and there is a link to a decent, but difficult to use, map. As to the price of renting a home, it sounds like you would want to be in a decent school district since you have school age children. My guess is that you are going to have difficulty finding a home for that many people in a decent school district for under $1,000.00. You can find plenty of posts on this site with people giving their opinion as to what part of town is best or where the taxes are lowest. Problem is that, as with many cities, the quality of the schools are often directly related to the amount of the taxes. If you want some help in that area, just respond and let me know. As for your wife, check out this website:
State of Ohio On-Line Job Application - Search Page
It's the website for the State of Ohio job information. Columbus is the capital of Ohio, so there are a lot of state oriented jobs available. There is a speech pathology board and they may be able to help. I hope you find some of this information helpful.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM

16 posts, read 47,043 times
Yeah I am realizing that the price may be higher than I hoped. One thing I have thought about was living outside the city.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:02 PM

18 posts, read 96,463 times
sjtigers, I posted to your reply in Is Grove City that bad. I also am posting some information for you here to. Please consider Grove City or Obetz/Hamilton Township. "We" may not have the best reputation in the Columbus area but it really is a wonderful little community with reasonable housing opportunities.

http://www.city-data.com/township/Ha...anklin-OH.html

Hamilton Local School District

Hamilton Township

Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM

26 posts, read 134,495 times
Are there any needs for the kids schools?

Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 AM

153 posts, read 209,906 times
I would recommend Dublin or Hilliard schools. I am from Dublin and I got a fantastic education. Dublin is generally considered to be a relatively affluent community. You can still find nice houses in Dublin for around $200,000 and depending on your credit history you probably get a no money down mortgage for $1000 to $2000. This is much cheaper than paying for private schools. Anyway you probably do not want to raise your kids around High Street by OSU. Check out the newer homes near Summit View Road and Riverside Drive. Also consider places just north of there in Delaware County. Delaware tends to be more expensive and farther from OSU though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus