Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 12:21 PM

30 posts, read 167,565 times

Advertisements

Is it safe there?
I'm looking for a house with tons of character & it seems like this part of town has that, at reasonable prices.
Would moving there be a good idea for someone who spends a lot of time at home alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:31 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
It's entirely too close to some very scary ghettos...at least for my taste, that is.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:40 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaTate View Post
Is it safe there?
I'm looking for a house with tons of character & it seems like this part of town has that, at reasonable prices.
Would moving there be a good idea for someone who spends a lot of time at home alone?
No, don't even consider it at this time. I would be more inclined to look around Neil avenue area instead. If price is really a major concern, and you want to stay around/below $150K, then I think a rather good option is the area south of West Broad St, west of Hague and east of Wilson. The area north of Westgate Park has some pretty older homes in a nice setting, which may fit your character desire.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Olde Town east is a very tight knit community,
You can get a home that is very large and nice there for a little less than some of the more expensive central city communities of columbus (like victorian or german village)
Olde Town East is great for people who like to live around diversity and others unlike themselves. If you have money and like to see a diverse group of people, then you might end up really liking old town east.
Olde Town East is also generally quite, there’s little bars or shopping nearby, but some great old homes and apartments and now town homes and condos. The well to-do neighbors really stick by each other, and swear they will never leave the area.

It is also right by the beautiful Franklin Park, and Olde Town East is one of the best bets for areas near downtown that will continue to get nicer, the architecture and proximity to downtown makes it inevitable in becoming more upscale in the coming years. However, poverty and race issues do play below the surface of the pretty homes of Olde Town, but most of olde town east is large homes which are owned, rental issues are less of a problem in olde town than other parts of columbus that are known for being in transitiong (like the hilltop, bottoms)
Thank You my readers, ta ta for now.

Quote:
No, don't even consider it at this time. I would be more inclined to look around Neil avenue area instead. If price is really a major concern, and you want to stay around/below $150K, then I think a rather good option is the area south of West Broad St, west of Hague and east of Wilson. The area north of Westgate Park has some pretty older homes in a nice setting, which may fit your character desire.
Around neil is much more expensive than this posters price, and the area that the appove poster mentioned (hilltop/westside) will never see the increases in selling prices that olde town east is, BUYING in parts of the near east side is a very SMART choice if your in it for the longterm.

Parts of the westside have extreme issues and property values are on the decline or lie fairly flat. Industrial job loss, home's being boarded up, horrible rentals, and crime issues plague parts of the hilltop. The hilltop is not seeing new money investing in the neighborhood the way Columbus' near east side is seeing. New money is gradually turning the near east side nicer by the year. Westgate is a nice section of the hilltop, but the homes there will not increase in value like the near east side is seeing.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:10 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Around neil is much more expensive than this posters price, and the area that the appove poster mentioned (hilltop/westside) will never see the increases in selling prices that olde town east is, BUYING in parts of the near east side is a very SMART choice if your in it for the longterm.

Parts of the westside have extreme issues and property values are on the decline or lie fairly flat. Industrial job loss, home's being boarded up, horrible rentals, and crime issues plague parts of the hilltop. The hilltop is not seeing new money investing in the neighborhood the way Columbus' near east side is seeing. New money is gradually turning the near east side nicer by the year. Westgate is a nice section of the hilltop, but the homes there will not increase in value like the near east side is seeing.
I didn't see a price mentioned in the original posting, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the area around Neil Ave. A lot of older nice home on the west side of Neil, especially around Pennsylvania Ave, Michigan Ave, and Oregon Ave go in the $200's. I advice looking in that area, south of King St.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:47 PM

26 posts, read 134,450 times
I have sold and know a additional people, single and couples that live in Olde Town East. As with any part of a City you habe a better chance of property crime versus anything else. If you leave valuables in your car they probably will not be there in the morning. Another option to look at would be Schumacher Place. schumacher le man hungarian grand at Schumacherplace.com (broken link). Or Merion Village. Both of these border the higher priced German Village and there are homes available under $200K. Best of luck in your home search.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,972 times
Hi. I'm a college student about to graduate. Me and my roommates are looking for a cheaper alternative to living on campus for next year, as two of them are still enrolled at OSU. A friend told me about the olde town east, so I started to explore. I found amazing prices, and the houses seemed huge! I wanted to call and look around there to see how much we liked them, but I had some concern about how safe it was. Can anyone help me out. We are going to be 5 girls, all around the age of 21. Does this seem very unsafe to someone who lives there now, or has lived there? Let me know! Thanks so much!

Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 PM

83 posts, read 294,220 times
Olde Town East is pretty rough around the edges and I would definitely not recommend it. Not a safe area at all.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,270 times
I'm friends with a few people that live there and when I go to visit, I never feel safe at night. Especially walking to and from my car.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:06 AM

11 posts, read 20,700 times
My family is a about to look at a 4bdrm in this area. We are looking there because we need 4bdrms to rent with 3children. We get no section 8 those houses are going for $1000 and up per a month so at $700 this one is deal for us. We are the type to make our house a home plant flowers gardens etc and we are hoping this revitalizing area will be a good fit for us and our children. The key is if people like us never come out of the burbs as we have always lived and give these areas a chance they will never grow someone has to start somewhere right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus