Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,130,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
People are strange on these forums. They seem incapable of liking other cities without trashing another. If you like other cities, great, but why do people go out of their way to bring something else down? It's very petty.

I have my POV and you have yours. Are you going to spend the rest of your life defending Columbus.

Let it go will ya?

I have every right to have my POV about this city as you do. I don't care how you feel about this city one way or another.

I'm on my way to look at the vacant buildings downtown, that should be exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I have my POV and you have yours. Are you going to spend the rest of your life defending Columbus.

Let it go will ya?

I have every right to have my POV about this city as you do. I don't care how you feel about this city one way or another.

I'm on my way to look at the vacant buildings downtown, that should be exciting.
Not all POVs are created equal, however. I have yet to see you offer facts. Sure, you're allowed to have a different POV, you're allowed to absolutely despise Columbus, and for whatever reasons you wish to present. However, that does not mean that those opinions are free from criticism when you present them as facts. They are certainly not, and your own personal bias has rather clouded your objectivity. I have my own bias, of course, but I at least try to put up factual evidence in support of my views. If most people here did the same, I doubt we would have these kinds of pissing matches day in and day out. It seems it has become rather fashionable to trash Columbus and the expectation is apparently that no one is going to make a case against that. Well, sorry, but here I am.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:29 AM

465 posts, read 470,787 times
I can say whatever I want and I am saying that I fear columbus will become an example of easy come, easy go. Too few people and businesses are heavily invested in Columbus. We need more home grown businesses.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM

755 posts, read 2,482,958 times
Quote:
Wow, you haven't lived many places. Columbus may or may not be many things, but using these kinds of superlatives is pretty ridiculous.
Hahahahaha. I stand by what I've said. Firmly.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Hall View Post
I can say whatever I want and I am saying that I fear columbus will become an example of easy come, easy go. Too few people and businesses are heavily invested in Columbus. We need more home grown businesses.
200 years of growth that has never stopped in a single census count, an economy described by Brookings as a top 20 best, both during and after the recent recession (supported by various figures), and we're supposed to take your word only that it's all going to come crashing down? This despite the fact that your point about lack of businesses (and growing ones) has already been disproven? Yes, you are allowed to say whatever you want. When are you going to start saying things that mesh with reality?

Old 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
Hahahahaha. I stand by what I've said. Firmly.
People who lack objectivity and reasoning tend to use superlatives as an argument. Facts are a lot harder to come up with, apparently, than "worst ever!!".

Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,906,704 times
Quote:
200 years of growth that has never stopped in a single census count, an economy described by Brookings as a top 20 best, both during and after the recent recession (supported by various figures), and we're supposed to take your word only that it's all going to come crashing down? This despite the fact that your point about lack of businesses (and growing ones) has already been disproven? Yes, you are allowed to say whatever you want. When are you going to start saying things that mesh with reality?
What goes up must come down...

Old 08-23-2011, 11:22 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,533,095 times
Quote:
I've lived in Mexico City, the biggest city in the Western Hemisphere and one of the largest in the world. In comparison, DC looks about as exciting as Minot, North Dakota.
I'm honestly not certain where you're going with this--I didn't make any claims to DC being the World's Most Exciting City, or invite comparisons between it and other cities. I merely stated that DC offers more of the things I value in a city than Columbus does. I was looking for a more lively, cultural, cosmopolitan city, and found it in DC. It doesn't mean that DC is a panacea, or that everyone unhappy with Columbus should move there. There are probably people that would prefer Minot over DC or Columbus as well, but those people value different things than I do.

Quote:
I figure, as long as I have a good social life, a decent job, and some place to go, I'll be happy. Simply put, there's no such thing as a better city than where I'm living at right now. And if I move, that will be true then as well. A place is only as good as you make it, period.
That's cool. I'm glad that you're happy in Columbus--clearly it suits you well. But yes, there are people who value different things than it appears you do. I reached a point where I felt like I needed to move on, and I've gotten to know a number of Columbus transplants who feel similarly. I don't think Columbus is a bad city or that people who claim to enjoy living there are "settling" or otherwise dishonest; rather, we're just looking for different things.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,246,427 times
Quote:
I've lived in Mexico City, the biggest city in the Western Hemisphere and one of the largest in the world. In comparison, DC looks about as exciting as Minot, North Dakota. Even after that, I still was always able to have a great time in Columbus and enjoy my many wonderful friendships and experiences. I get what you're saying about some people wanting different things and feeling like other cities will offer more of that, and that's fine. I think the disconnect I have is that I don't view cities the same way as most people. I figure, as long as I have a good social life, a decent job, and some place to go, I'll be happy. Simply put, there's no such thing as a better city than where I'm living at right now. And if I move, that will be true then as well. A place is only as good as you make it, period.
This is how I kind of am. I really don't make a big deal out of much. I live in a city where I have a lot of friends, a decent job (looking to get one with my degree though), some things to do, and it's close to a big city (Cleveland).

I feel a lot of people on this site expect way too much out of cities, or have this preconceived notion that if they moved to a bigger city with more to do they'll be doing ALL those things and their lives will be MUCH better because of it. But, a lot of times it's never true. My buddy moved to California for a job and he said he's glad he never expected to be at the beach everyday because he doesn't have the time, nor does he have the desire to go often even when he does have the time.

Also, I think people just like to complain lol.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,533,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
I feel a lot of people on this site expect way too much out of cities, or have this preconceived notion that if they moved to a bigger city with more to do they'll be doing ALL those things and their lives will be MUCH better because of it. But, a lot of times it's never true. My buddy moved to California for a job and he said he's glad he never expected to be at the beach everyday because he doesn't have the time, nor does he have the desire to go often even when he does have the time.
There's an element of truth to this, but I'd also throw out that there are people who expect too LITTLE out of cities. If you've never spent considerable time elsewhere, you might think that Columbus's cultural offerings are superb, for example. But compared with a number of other cities--even similarly sized cities--they're not particularly exceptional. (The lack of broad support for the arts in Columbus is something that continues to frustrate me, even as an ex-resident.)

Speaking for myself I've been very happy since I left Columbus. I get more enjoyment out of my day-to-day life in DC than I did while living in Columbus--but then again, I also take advantage of much of what the city offers. If I lived in the exurbs, never came into the city, and spent my weekends shopping at Costco and dining at Applebees, I would probably feel differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus