U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
7,429 posts, read 4,496,463 times
Reputation: 2561
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Hi. You're right about Grandview. They have some reasonable priced rentals IF you don't have any pets.

While Victorian Village and the Short North house some students, there are a lot of weirdos there and you can never walk the streets after dark due to the criminal element.

HTH
I walked in that area probably 3-5x a week, often at night, the last few years, and have never had any problems. You see a few panhandlers, but they are not exclusive to nighttime (go to Gallery Hop, for example), and they leave you alone once you make it clear you're not interested. I think you are being dramatic. Downtown up through the SN is fairly safe. Not to mention that crime overall is at some of the lowest levels in at least 25 years citywide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
While Victorian Village and the Short North house some students, there are a lot of weirdos there and you can never walk the streets after dark due to the criminal element.
It's not 1985 anymore. There's nothing unsafe with walking the streets of Vic Village/Short North after dark so long as one maintains a basic awareness of their surroundings--they're both very safe neighborhoods. If you're going to be scared of your own shadow, perhaps living in an urban environment isn't the right place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 12:42 PM
 
54 posts, read 35,993 times
Reputation: 45
Here you go, guys, my reply from the other thread on this subject:

I agree there are worse areas, but in no way do I consider the SN and VV safe, especially after dark. My brother just sold his house there due to the crime and having a young family. When I'd go to see them, he'd walk me to my car after dark ... and this was within the last year.

I'd round it off and say the East, West and South sides are probably the worst areas of Columbus. oh and the NE has some seedy areas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
7,429 posts, read 4,496,463 times
Reputation: 2561
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Here you go, guys, my reply from the other thread on this subject:

I agree there are worse areas, but in no way do I consider the SN and VV safe, especially after dark. My brother just sold his house there due to the crime and having a young family. When I'd go to see them, he'd walk me to my car after dark ... and this was within the last year.

I'd round it off and say the East, West and South sides are probably the worst areas of Columbus. oh and the NE has some seedy areas too.
Honestly, the SN and VV haven't been seriously considered dangerous since at least the mid-1990s.

Look at the crime maps provided by the Columbus Division of Police. The immediate SN and VV up through campus, the area bordered by Lane Avenue to the North, Summit to the east, 315 to the west, and 670 to the south, is one of the safest areas of the urban core save for Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
I agree there are worse areas, but in no way do I consider the SN and VV safe, especially after dark. My brother just sold his house there due to the crime and having a young family. When I'd go to see them, he'd walk me to my car after dark ... and this was within the last year.
If one of the safest urban neighborhoods of any major city frightened you that much, then living in the city is most certainly not a good option for you. But for those who are not scared off by a couple of homeless people wandering about (and coming from a city that has one of the nation's worst homeless problems--DC--the homeless population in Columbus pales in comparison), there's absolutely no reason to avoid the SN or VV due to safety concerns. They're both perfectly fine.

JBC is correct, these neighborhoods haven't reasonably been considered unsafe since at least the mid-90s--and as someone who was a student at OSU during that time, I'd actually argue that they haven't been dangerous since the 1980s. South campus has definitely gotten better since 1995, but that's neither the Short North nor Victorian Village.

And this doesn't even address the general trend across the country that cities are seeing substantial drops in crime overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
 
54 posts, read 35,993 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Honestly, the SN and VV haven't been seriously considered dangerous since at least the mid-1990s.

Look at the crime maps provided by the Columbus Division of Police. The immediate SN and VV up through campus, the area bordered by Lane Avenue to the North, Summit to the east, 315 to the west, and 670 to the south, is one of the safest areas of the urban core save for Downtown.
Well, it's only been within the last year that my brother and his family had too many criminal encounters in Victorian Village/Short North. So they sold and moved, easy enough. And, to give the police credit, they responded in record time every time.

Here's the crime map I posted on another thread:

WSYX ABC 6 - Fighting Back Crime Map - Columbus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
Well, it's only been within the last year that my brother and his family had too many criminal encounters in Victorian Village/Short North. So they sold and moved, easy enough.
I'm curious as to what your brother considers to be a "criminal encounter": was he and his family actually encountering criminals, or were repeatedly the victims of criminal activity? I would find that surprising, since I've had many friends over the years who have lived in and around this neighborhood--and a brother currently residing in Italian Village--and have never known any of them to have a problem.

That said, if they were that uncomfortable, they did the right thing by moving. No one should remain in a neighborhood where they don't feel safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM
 
54 posts, read 35,993 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I'm curious as to what your brother considers to be a "criminal encounter": was he and his family actually encountering criminals, or were repeatedly the victims of criminal activity? I would find that surprising, since I've had many friends over the years who have lived in and around this neighborhood--and a brother currently residing in Italian Village--and have never known any of them to have a problem.

That said, if they were that uncomfortable, they did the right thing by moving. No one should remain in a neighborhood where they don't feel safe.
The most upsetting was when he was held up with a gun by some guys/punks on his way back from the store after dark. Only the grace of God got him home to his babies that night.

And then there were the never-ending, bloody, fistfights, key throwings, window breakings, of the 'partners' that lived next door and in the neighborhood. Their fights were over the top. I'm glad my brother and his family are gone from there. I'm also glad I have no reason to visit there anymore. But I wish the remaining residents well. It's a tough, tough area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
7,429 posts, read 4,496,463 times
Reputation: 2561
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
The most upsetting was when he was held up with a gun by some guys/punks on his way back from the store after dark. Only the grace of God got him home to his babies that night.

And then there were the never-ending, bloody, fistfights, key throwings, window breakings, of the 'partners' that lived next door and in the neighborhood. Their fights were over the top. I'm glad my brother and his family are gone from there. I'm also glad I have no reason to visit there anymore. But I wish the remaining residents well. It's a tough, tough area.
It sounds like you had a very atypical experience and it certainly does not represent the area overall. I know many people who live in the SN and VV and they have never had any of these problems. In fact, the only crime I'm aware of that any of my friends have experienced anywhere in the area ever is that one of them had a break-in to his car during ComFest... of which most of the people who come to that aren't even residents of those neighborhoods. The crime rates there remain low for an urban setting and those that do happen tend to be property issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Rockville, MD
3,548 posts, read 4,834,229 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by L&TT View Post
I'm glad my brother and his family are gone from there. I'm also glad I have no reason to visit there anymore. But I wish the remaining residents well. It's a tough, tough area.
Oh for goodness sakes--are you sure we are talking about the same neighborhoods? I would certainly take issue with your description of Victorian Village/Short North being a "tough, tough area". In the link you provided, the only crimes it is showing for the last *month* in Vic Village and the Short North are four car break-ins. You'll see more of those in Worthington than you're seeing there.

Sullivant Ave. and Mt. Vernon Ave. run through some "tough, tough" neighborhoods. Victorian Village and the Short North are anything but. Sure, crime happens, like it happens in any populated area. But your description of the neighborhoods are way, way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top