Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

489 posts, read 860,122 times

Advertisements

Very positive news for downtown.

Grocery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,008,103 times
Great news for sure and fills a vacancy for the area's residents. A new condo project was also announced for Spring St. New 5-story building will be built on a surface lot that will have 102 apartments/condos and 71 underground parking spaces.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,071,365 times
Wonderful news. There certainly is a need for such a service downtown.

Question: I've heard it debated in different settings, but would you consider the Arena District a part of downtown Columbus? Or would you feel that it is its own neighborhood situated between downtown and Victorian Village? I only ask because those residents will certainly use a downtown grocer (perhaps instead of the Giant Eagle on Neil?). I wonder what the North Market thinks of this development?

Though when I look at the map of where Hill's will be, it seems far from the Arena District and North Market. Don't know if that will be a good thing or bad thing for the residents there. Either way, the news of a downtown grocer is positive.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post

Question: I've heard it debated in different settings, but would you consider the Arena District a part of downtown Columbus? Or would you feel that it is its own neighborhood situated between downtown and Victorian Village? I only ask because those residents will certainly use a downtown grocer (perhaps instead of the Giant Eagle on Neil?). I wonder what the North Market thinks of this development?

Though when I look at the map of where Hill's will be, it seems far from the Arena District and North Market. Don't know if that will be a good thing or bad thing for the residents there. Either way, the news of a downtown grocer is positive.
I would consider it part of Downtown. The AD starts right across the street from Nationwide's headquarters, so I'd say it is. Also, the census also counts it as part of the area.

The North Market is not a traditional grocery store. It wasn't hurt by Giant Eagle, so I'm not sure why an even smaller store would hurt it.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,157,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post

I always refer to the AD as the downtown connecter, it's on the edge of downlown situated between DT and VV, as you stated.

The North Market is more of a "flea market" style set-up only with high quality vendors.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,575,374 times
Looks great!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,888,247 times
So many good grocers in Downtown Columbus and surrounding neighborhoods. With the large influx of residents, shopping for food should not be a problem. Seems like this is a complaint among most people living in central business districts across the country.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
So many good grocers in Downtown Columbus and surrounding neighborhoods. With the large influx of residents, shopping for food should not be a problem. Seems like this is a complaint among most people living in central business districts across the country.
Not just grocery is moving into Downtown, but restaurants and retail. At least 9 new restaurants and half a dozen new retail shops have opened up Downtown in just the last year.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,888,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Not just grocery is moving into Downtown, but restaurants and retail. At least 9 new restaurants and half a dozen new retail shops have opened up Downtown in just the last year.
I was really skeptical about Columbus Commons park, but seems like there has been a lot of great spin-off development from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: