Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM

102 posts, read 173,359 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Columbus and would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Having grown up in NYC, snow and cold do not scare me, though it has been more than twenty years since I actually lived through a "real" winter. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would Columbus be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Columbus is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,926 times
As a retired person I would strongly suggest German Village.
Mostly retired people and young couples that are planning on starting a family.

Everything is an easy walk in a city known for is auto malls

Old 01-13-2012, 02:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
As a retired person I would strongly suggest German Village.
Mostly retired people and young couples that are planning on starting a family.

Everything is an easy walk in a city known for is auto malls
GV is nice, but I'm not sure how many rentals there are there, especially in that price range. An urban location within walking distance to amenities may be harder to find. I would try Downtown (which is still relatively inexpensive for location), Olde Towne East, King Lincoln Harrison West. You could also find a few places in the Short North, but not as many.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:38 PM

But on another question
Why would you come to Columbus?

I'd give you 20 reasons why going from Cali to Ohio is a bad idea, but I'd get a warning for trolling.
Even though I'd be telling the truth.

Old 01-14-2012, 04:18 AM

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I would like to hear both sides. And what would one consider inexpensive rents for downtown...or elsewhere, for that matter?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
But on another question
Why would you come to Columbus?

I'd give you 20 reasons why going from Cali to Ohio is a bad idea, but I'd get a warning for trolling.
Even though I'd be telling the truth.
And I could give more reasons why it's a good idea. #1 being that California is way more expensive and just in terrible economic shape right now. Retirement can go MUCH further in a place like Ohio than in California, meaning that if you ever want to escape for awhile, you can actually afford to.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
Thanks for the replies. Actually, I would like to hear both sides. And what would one consider inexpensive rents for downtown...or elsewhere, for that matter?
I don't have specifics, but I do know some people who were paying between $750-$850 near Downtown. Are you looking for a specific apt. size?

Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
And I could give more reasons why it's a good idea. #1 being that California is way more expensive and just in terrible economic shape right now. Retirement can go MUCH further in a place like Ohio than in California, meaning that if you ever want to escape for awhile, you can actually afford to.
Property tax rates are higher in Columbus
and it has a city income tax

But I suppose niether matter if you are retired and renting.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Property tax rates are higher in Columbus
and it has a city income tax

But I suppose niether matter if you are retired and renting.
Right. Also, everything from food to health care to transportation is cheaper. Columbus overall is about 34% cheaper than Oakland according to this link: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You can look at 100 different comparisons between the two cities.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Cost of living in CA, particularly the SF Bay Area is a major motivation. After more than twenty years, I've grown weary of a deteriorating quality of life (mugged for the first time in my life, this after spending most of my life in NYC, apt. break-in, crime never far away), coupled with rents through the crumbling roof. Paying through the nose for the "privilege" of living in an overrated and over-priced area. Attended grad school in So. Ill and visited various places in the midwest. Like the area and the people. Would be looking for a nice studio or one-bedroom. Is that feasible in my price range? I am flexible to a point, depending on the particular apt. and neighborhood. Currently paying over $1000/mo. for an average size one-bedroom in a 1920s, not well maintained building. That's the standard for equivalent apts. Saving grace is the neighborhood which is one of the more desirable, within walking distance of many amenities (shopping, post office, bus lines, BART, restaurants, coffee houses, etc.). Is it possible to find something similar for a lower rent in Columbus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus