Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times

Advertisements

Parking options Downtown diminish, but cost still relatively low | The Columbus Dispatch

More than 2,000 parking spaces Downtown have been replaced with development over the last few years, with about 1,000 more going away before the end of 2015.

That would leave about 39,000 spaces between garages and surface lots. However, this is a significant drop from the mid-1980s when there were about 63,000 spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,419,498 times
Oh brother: still whining about parking in Downtown Columbus. Is it 2004 or 2014? The good news is that I'll be able to get my fill of the 00s for a week later this month: who needs a time traveling machine when you can just book a flight to Columbus!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Oh brother: still whining about parking in Downtown Columbus. Is it 2004 or 2014? The good news is that I'll be able to get my fill of the 00s for a week later this month: who needs a time traveling machine when you can just book a flight to Columbus!
No one complains about parking in MSP? There's no way anyone should believe that.

And you rather missed an important point. Someone will always complain about parking, no matter how much or how little. That seems to be the nature of car-centric people. The point is that parking is steadily decreasing because of development. Why you can't be happy about something you champion, I have no idea.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

The Neilston Apartment Building to Break Ground in Spring | ColumbusUnderground.com

Speaking of parking going away...

The Neilston, the second 5-story, 130-unit apartment building that matches the recently completed Normandy on E. Long Street, will begin construction in March or April. It will replace a surface lot.

Second Phase of Bishop’s Walk Condos Selling Quickly Downtown | ColumbusUnderground.com

The second phase of Bishop's Walk, a 26-unit condo construction on E. Gay (again replacing surface lots) has already sold 17 units.

More Gay Street Condos to Break Ground in 2015 | ColumbusUnderground.com

And 14 more condos will break ground sometime in 2015, taking up part of the surface parking lot behind the completed Welsh Presbyterian Church conversion project. The condos will only take up part of the lot, as the southwest corner of the lot at Gay and N. 6th is planned for yet another large apartment building. It also mentions that the parking lot behind the Normandy will also eventually get infill residential.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM

Ohio State off-campus housing getting boost with Edwards Cos. plan next to Tommy?s on Lane Avenue - Columbus - Columbus Business First

Edwards has proposed a 45-unit, 4-story student housing building at 144-162 W. Lane Avenue.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:08 PM

The Alley Bar Coming Soon to Pearl Alley Downtown | ColumbusUnderground.com

A new bar and restaurant, the Alley Bar, is coming to Pearl Alley between Gay and Broad.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:59 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,419,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

Which neighborhoods aren't seeing millions in reinvestment dollars? OTE/King-Lincoln? Franklinton? Near-South? Weinland Park? Nope. All of those are. The only real argument could maybe be made for parts of Linden or Hilltop, but you have made the exact same neglect arguments for every single one of the neighborhoods I just mentioned. Your list grows smaller every year. No city can fix everything all at once. Are there no crappy, disinvested neighborhoods in Minneapolis? Please. Of course there are.

In regards to Franklinton specifically, wtf are you talking about with this $1 million figure? The city will spend tens of millions just developing the Scioto Peninsula, which is part of Franklinton and always has been. It's also working with private developers to turn several former public-housing complexes into mixed-use development west of the railroad bridge. All of this public-private partnership development will obviously help encourage more adjacent development.
Several aren't seeing millions in reinvestment dollars: are you kidding me? Anyone can go down Sullivant, Cleveland, Main, and miles more on other streets and tell you the same. Nice job answering a question that wasn't asked with a paltry handful of neighborhoods. Although, a tiny edge of Near South only covers one corner of Southern Orchards: show me the millions in investments east of Childrens Hospital on Livingston, Lockborne, and Whittier: all just as craptacular as they ever were and offer nothing worthwhile.

The ratio of good vs crappy urban neighborhoods in Mpls is heavily weighed toward the former, in Columbus, it's the latter. That's a simple fact easily verified w/ census data, walkscore, and streetview just to name a few options which prove my point. Only a portion of North is bad and a few patches over in the South in the adjoining Philips-Powderhorn communities are iffy: that's it. And most of them, especially with Philips and Powderhorn, are both nowhere near the crime hotspots in Linden, central Hilltop, Driving Park, etc, which makes up the majority of urban Columbus.

Meanwhile, the "bad" neighborhoods here offer several times more destinations that attract visitors from all over: more than all those bad Columbus neighborhoods combined. No surprise when most of them aren't seeing millions in reinvestment dollars. I specified that I'm talking about investments made by the city to jump-start neighborhood revitalization and my examples both here and there dealt with that specifically, not public-private partnerships. My point again, being that revitalization moves much faster when the city gets the ball rolling: I suggest you take a look at the picture in the link I posted where the city of Mpls secured over $20 million for reinvesting in a commercial strip which without it would just look like one of several drab and interchangeable multi-block long commercial corridors like those in Columbus. Nobody goes to moribund E Main after decades of private money spent revitalizing OTE, but tourists hit up thriving Eat Street in Whittier which started efforts a decade later yet not only caught up but far surpassed OTE thanks to that $20 million granted from the city which make a significantly larger impact than any private investments which were being made at the time.

The $1 million figure I quoted is what the city was invested in the form of a grant for improvements in East Franklinton, IIRC...Oh, here it is. Ah, make that just over $2 million: I also see a similar amount for land purchased and for neighborhood plan, but still even then $2 million is still a mere fraction $12 million. In contrast, American Addition the funding has already been secured by the city and is being implemented.

Quote:
American Addition didn't even have sidewalks and basic infrastructure, things that all the other neighborhoods in discussion do, so it's not a fair comparison at all. AA was never a highly populated area to begin with. Even historically, as the article says, it was akin to a rural area. Most of that money went into putting in basic infrastructure to support private development of residential and, perhaps down the line, something in the way of walkable retail, but right now barely anyone lives there to support that. And sorry, but $11.7 million is just not enough to build a "downtown", no matter how small.
Now you're just spouting pure untruths: when that amount is going towards building over 100 homes it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that if a portion of that was spent instead on commercial buildings lining Joyce, then yes, it would in fact be more than enough.

Quote:
Parsons is seeing quite a bit of new things pop up. You never comment on that news, of course. So is Main for that matter, especially in the near future. West Broad through Franklinton will be seeing new projects coming up too, including Nationwide's project at Byer's Chevrolet.
Parsons south of OTE is seeing improvements on just one corner on Livingston: too bad the other 99% of Parsons is unchanged. It's not even enough to kill an hour or two when I head back and that you find brag-worthy? Main will impress me a bit when it has even one block resembling the Oak-Parsons area. Til then no one cares but you and that is evidenced by the fact that no one, not even Columbus boosters spend much time at all anywhere there. W Broad is the most promising of the bunch, but we'll see how long it takes to go forward before getting too excited.

Quote:
The link to what? Census tract data is available from the census, or you can look them up on American Fact Finder, which is what I did. 2013 data was released on December 4th.
Hey, I'm lazy, what can I say?

Quote:
One of the reasons there are abandoned and run-down commercial corridors is because of population decline. You need people to keep local businesses going. As the population rises, retail will follow in an organic fashion. You can't force it or you'll just see a bunch of businesses fail. Build the population, everything else will come in time.

AA is not a destination for anyone outside of residents, and hasn't seen major investment in many decades. It will always be largely residential in nature.
Again, take a look yet again at Eat Street where the neighborhood was seeing population decline: businesses served as destinations which attracted residents. Similar investments were made in other declining neighborhoods to prove your statement wrong again and again and again. Speaking of forcing retail where no one lives and seeing success, have you heard of these little places called Easton and Polaris? Not to mention strip-malls like those on Bethel which are full of businesses that are thriving and few people living nearby due to very low population densities? As for AA it's simply a self-fullfilling prophecy when there's no walkable commercial being built, as though a few two-story buildings with commercial storefronts on the 1st floor is too much to ask. The surrounding North Central neighborhoods and others further out have no walkable downtowns either for oversaturation or competition to even occur: Linden for as large as it is only has a few intact blocks around Myrtle,but Cleveland Ave has a lot of negative baggage. Milo-Grogan and Krumm Park have nothing even close, and same goes for sprawling "Northeast Columbus". It could have served many more communities in the area outside of AA. A shame it wasn't even considered, but then Columbusites are more than happy with $12 million spent for a new suburban nowhere.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:30 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Several aren't seeing millions in reinvestment dollars:
are you kidding me? Anyone can go down Sullivant, Cleveland, Main, and miles
more on other streets and tell you the same. Nice job answering a question that
wasn't asked with a paltry handful of neighborhoods. Although, a tiny edge of
Near South only covers one corner of Southern Orchards: show me the millions in
investments east of Childrens Hospital on Livingston, Lockborne, and Whittier:
all just as craptacular as they ever were and offer nothing worthwhile.
I've posted links for the money/projects for the areas I mentioned. Every single one of them, you said the *exact* same things about before. You have one tune and it never stops.

Quote:
The ratio of good vs crappy urban neighborhoods in Mpls is heavily
weighed toward the former, in Columbus, it's the latter.
As if you could be expected to say anything else.

Quote:
That's a simple fact easily verified w/ census data, walkscore, and streetview
just to name a few options which prove my point.
You mean the census data that had Minneapolis losing population the last decade? That census?

Quote:
Only a portion of North is bad and a few patches over in the South in the
adjoining Philips-Powderhorn communities are iffy: that's it. And most of
them, especially with Philips and Powderhorn, are both nowhere near the crime
hotspots in Linden, central Hilltop, Driving Park, etc, which makes up the
majority of urban Columbus.
1990-2000 Population Change: Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post
2000-2010 Population Change: Interactive map: 30 years of census data - The Washington Post

Looks like Minneapolis actually got worse.

Linden isn't even part of the 1950 urban city boundary. It's all post-war through 1960s development. I imagine that a lot of that yellow decline from the Minneapolis maps is much the same type of neighborhood. In fact, Google Maps pretty much confirms it.

BTW, I enjoy that even in your best attempt, you still had to admit that MSP has crappy neighborhoods. That one might keep you up tonight trying to figure out a way how to spin that into a positive.

Quote:
Meanwhile, the "bad" neighborhoods here offer several times more destinations
that attract visitors from all over: more than all those bad Columbus
neighborhoods combined. No surprise when most of them aren't seeing
millions in reinvestment dollars. I specified that I'm talking about investments
made by the city to jump-start neighborhood revitalization and my examples both
here and there dealt with that specifically, not public-private partnerships.
Um, you didn't actually give any examples or evidence of anything. You just made your typical list of neighborhoods in Columbus you think are terrible. Why not just save yourself the trouble next time and say, "I hate Columbus and my opinions will always be heavily influenced by that base view," and save yourself some time.

I'm also curious why public-private partnerships don't count. That may be the dumbest view from you yet.

Quote:
My point again, being that revitalization moves much faster when the city
gets the ball rolling: I suggest you take a look at the picture in the link I
posted where the city of Mpls secured over $20 million for reinvesting in
a commercial strip which without it would just look like one of several drab and
interchangeable multi-block long commercial corridors like those in
Columbus.
Meh. Columbus got $30 million for around University Hospital East. Let me know when MSP does something impressive. I'm sure you will, your bar is pretty low.

Quote:
Nobody goes to moribund E Main after decades of private money spent
revitalizing OTE, but tourists hit up thriving Eat Street in Whittier which
started efforts a decade later yet not only caught up but far surpassed OTE
thanks to that $20 million granted from the city which make a significantly
larger impact than any private investments which were being made at the
time.
I'm trying to understand how Columbus gets any money if it's not actually working towards goals of improving these neighborhoods. You think private businesses, or the federal government, are usually just handing out money unsolicited? Oh, but you don't think private investment matters in the first place, only public dollars. So any private investment that comes along because of public dollars is worthless.

Quote:
The $1 million figure I quoted is what the city was invested in the form of a
grant for improvements in East Franklinton, IIRC...Oh, here it is. Ah, make that just over $2 million: I also see a
similar amount for land purchased and for neighborhood plan, but still even then
$2 million is still a mere fraction $12 million. In contrast, American Addition
the funding has already been secured by the city and is being implemented.
Way to keep up with the news... and by that I mean not at all.

Quote:
Now you're just spouting pure untruths: when that amount is going towards
building over 100 homes it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that if a
portion of that was spent instead on commercial buildings lining Joyce, then
yes, it would in fact be more than enough.
The city isn't spending the money on the homes. It's spending the money on infrastructure. Homeport, a private entity, is building the houses. Did you even read the article? The article stated repeatedly that AA lacked basic infrastructure, and that was part of the reason that private investment had not taken place. Now both are happening. Literally the only way you can have a problem with this is if you think the neighborhood should not have basic infrastructure to support residents. Is that what you're saying?

Quote:
Parsons south of OTE is seeing improvements on just one corner on Livingston:
too bad the other 99% of Parsons is unchanged. It's not even enough to kill an
hour or two when I head back and that you find brag-worthy? Main will impress me
a bit when it has even one block resembling the Oak-Parsons area. Til then no
one cares but you and that is evidenced by the fact that no one, not even
Columbus boosters spend much time at all anywhere there. W Broad is the most
promising of the bunch, but we'll see how long it takes to go forward before
getting too excited.
Again, you don't seem like you bother to keep up with the news. Maybe you should try reading things I post here, or just do a search for yourself..... Yeah, like that'll happen.

You are probably the least important person anyone should be worried about impressing. Anymore, I know what you're going to say even before you say it.

Quote:
Hey, I'm lazy, what can I say?
I'm beginning to see that.

*cut more of the same complaining*

Old 12-12-2014, 11:14 AM

OSU Wexner will buy Kingsdale land | ThisWeek Community News

OSU will build a $22 million, 5-story care center at Kingsdale.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 12-12-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-12-2014, 11:59 AM

http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Co...2014-11-20.pdf

A multi-family residential project and garage has been proposed for 32-44 W. 9th Avenue. No further details yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus