U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,474 times
Default Columbus school for girls-any thoughts/feedbacks

Does anybody have feedback about columbus school for girls. The tuition rates are skyhigh but prepared to make the sacrifice if it is worth it. Please advise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 34,410 times
I can help you! What do you want to know?

Old 04-22-2012, 03:58 PM

266 posts, read 242,111 times
Pros: One of the best schools in town in terms of test scores. Better than just about any school except St. Charles, which is a boys school.

Cons: De facto Jewish school with a reputation for producing some of the meanest, snobbiest girls in town. We met one girl who went there. She said the people there are so mean that "they are mean even when they are trying to help you." We got the point.

Takeaway: It all depends on your child and what she can take. If she has high self-esteem and is self-assured, I would go for it. If she is an impressionable kid whose feelings tend to get hurt, I would look for something a little less aristocratic and mean-spirited.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 4,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
Pros: One of the best schools in town in terms of test scores. Better than just about any school except St. Charles, which is a boys school.

Cons: De facto Jewish school with a reputation for producing some of the meanest, snobbiest girls in town. We met one girl who went there. She said the people there are so mean that "they are mean even when they are trying to help you." We got the point.

Takeaway: It all depends on your child and what she can take. If she has high self-esteem and is self-assured, I would go for it. If she is an impressionable kid whose feelings tend to get hurt, I would look for something a little less aristocratic and mean-spirited.
Unless you have real experiences at the school, then it is difficult to offer an assessment of the school. My daughter has been at the school for two years now, and this talk of girls being mean and snobby is just that--talk. The environment is friendly, and the girls are taught civility. It seems anytime you have a private school, particularly one located in an affluent community, there is a perception that people there are snobbery. There are cliques but that is not necessarily a bad thing nor iconic by any stretch of the imagination. In truth, there are certain people we get along with better than others or are drawn to in our daily interactions. Further, if you go to any school--from CSG to your local public school--there will be the same type of class--some based on class, some on race, some on athletics, and so on and so forth. It happens! The key is how conducive an environment can be for your child to learn and for him or her to have a healthy self-esteem. At CSG, there are plenty kids who are achieving and who have that healthy state of mind in spite of the outside perception that the school produces snobs. Finally, the school is not a de facto Jewish school. While there are plenty of Jewish families at CSG, and likely more there than at most institutions, I would still say that there are more families who are not Jewish than there are families who are Jewish. Again, another outside debunked by the reality inside.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM

447 posts, read 242,582 times
If you're looking for a faith-based curriculum consider one of the many parochial schools in the city. Cheaper than CSG and quality just as good based on the end products I've encountered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus