Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:41 AM

205 posts, read 653,930 times

Advertisements

Yup. New Albany is just winging it.

(It's just urban sprawl gone willy nilly...there is a Lion's Den next to a Montessori school...the sidewalks are made out of plywood...and one intersection has an Arby's on all four corners! There are no street signs and the roads run all over in crazy formations. People get so hopelessly lost they are forced to pull off to the side of the road, build a cookie-cutter McMansion to live in and start a new life. I heard they can't even afford to have running water installed because they blew their budget on golf courses and gold-paved leisure trails. New Albany looks like a five-year-old's first attempt at playing Sim City...there are railroad tracks to nowhere, a monorail that goes in a quarter mile circle around a fountain and a shipping yard in the middle of a cornfield. From what I've been told, about 20 years ago Les Wexner blew his nose into a map of Plain Township and that became the holy grail for all New Albany planning.)

Last edited by behindenemylines; 04-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Added text instead of an emoticon for :rolling eyes:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,471 times
Lower property taxes bring in more families and more students sometimes as well. Its not strictly about the dollars in all cases.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
Yup. New Albany is just winging it.

(It's just urban sprawl gone willy nilly...there is a Lion's Den next to a Montessori school...the sidewalks are made out of plywood...and one intersection has an Arby's on all four corners! There are no street signs and the roads run all over in crazy formations. People get so hopelessly lost they are forced to pull off to the side of the road, build a cookie-cutter McMansion to live in and start a new life. I heard they can't even afford to have running water installed because they blew their budget on golf courses and gold-paved leisure trails. New Albany looks like a five-year-old's first attempt at playing Sim City...there are railroad tracks to nowhere, a monorail that goes in a quarter mile circle around a fountain and a shipping yard in the middle of a cornfield. From what I've been told, about 20 years ago Les Wexner blew his nose into a map of Plain Township and that became the holy grail for all New Albany planning.)
You're actually not that far off. I've seen NA's development plan, but it is FAR less specific than Dublin's. Keep in mind that I'm generally anti-suburban just because I believe the suburbs have a much higher ratio of cost vs benefit. If you look at road spending, for example, it's pretty obvious. I understand the draw of the suburbs, but I also think the way they've been built in the last several decades has been a disastrous example of short-sightedness. From my experience in and around NA, it's one of the least planned, most sprawled suburbs. Not to say that Dublin doesn't have some of that, because it does, but they've clearly had a bulb turn on that this is no longer the way to build.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:51 PM

205 posts, read 653,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You're actually not that far off. I've seen NA's development plan, but it is FAR less specific than Dublin's. Keep in mind that I'm generally anti-suburban just because I believe the suburbs have a much higher ratio of cost vs benefit. If you look at road spending, for example, it's pretty obvious. I understand the draw of the suburbs, but I also think the way they've been built in the last several decades has been a disastrous example of short-sightedness. From my experience in and around NA, it's one of the least planned, most sprawled suburbs. Not to say that Dublin doesn't have some of that, because it does, but they've clearly had a bulb turn on that this is no longer the way to build.
The more you talk about NA, the more I think your NA experience was actually only experience around NA and not actually in NA.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:16 PM

240 posts, read 953,911 times
As a 'neutral party', I would opt for Dublin over New Albany. Dublin really has a very specific plan for future growth to make itself a sustainable, lifelong community that seeks to diversify its housing types. Rather than be content to stay a suburb, I think Dublin is pushing to become more of a satellite city with amenities of both a suburb and a central city.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
So as far as resale value, Bexley > Dublin/New Albany? Here's a random home I came across in Bexley 5 br, 3 ba, 1-½ ba , 3780 sq. ft. for $247K. Seems like a good deal to me. Is it common that kids go to private schools in Bexley?

Moderator cut: link removed, please read the tos

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2012 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 AM

490 posts, read 864,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
So as far as resale value, Bexley > Dublin/New Albany? Here's a random home I came across in Bexley 5 br, 3 ba, 1-½ ba , 3780 sq. ft. for $247K. Seems like a good deal to me. Is it common that kids go to private schools in Bexley?

Bexley has a great school system, so a majority of kids go there, but yes, some go to private school as well from what I know. Columbus School for Girls is in Bexley and draws from the area. St. Charles Prep is also in Bexley and Bishop Hartley is nearby both get some area kids (as does St. Catherine, the catholic grade school in Bexley). Some go to Columbus Academy (which used to be located near Bexley on Nelson Road). Also, with its large Jewish population, there are some Bexley kids that go to Torah Academy.

Last edited by Cbus76; 04-12-2012 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM

26 posts, read 89,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post

Some do, but it's really not the norm. Most Bexley kids go to public. Even the ones who have money to burn, turn to Bexley for a quality education.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:41 PM

I work near the airport, so while it would be great to live in Dublin or Westerville on the west side of 71 or Lewis Center and still be in the Olentagy school system, I can't see myself commuting down 71 south. I want to avoid it at all costs, but there's always the longer 270 E route.

What kind of property tax am I looking to pay per month on a $200K-$250K home in a place like Gahanna and is it better to be in Jefferson or Columbus within Gahanna? I was considering Bexley due to the great things I've heard about it, but I'm really wanting a newer style home. Where can I find a table of all the personal property taxes and school tax for each suburb of Columbus?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM

$6300 per year on a $250K home in Gahanna Jefferson school district = short commute. $250K home in Dublin Olentangy school district with longer commute and better resale value is the same cost in taxes! Roughly 2.5% it seems. Am I looking at this the wrong way or should Gahanna not even be a consideration in comparison to Dublin in terms of home resale value in say 10 years taking location and school system into account. Is Bexley the same tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus