U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,413 times

Advertisements

I just relocated here...I'm a single 43 year old woman with no children looking for ideas on where to live in the Columbus area. All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 PM

5,055 posts, read 6,022,820 times
It depends on where you work and how much you want to pay. If money is no object to a certain extent, look into the new condos in Upper Arlington by Tremont Center or in Grandview. For something a little less pricey, look around Clintonville.
I personally don't like the Short North area, but if you're comfortable with some of the "characters," that might be another option.

The Sunday Columbus Dispatch has an expanded housing section. You might take a look at that tomorrow, looking for things like "living for mature adults."

If you were ten years older, you'd certainly qualify for some of the seniors only type housing. It wouldn't hurt to approach some of those landlords and ask. Some need tenants so badly that if you can prove you're quiet, they might make an exception.

It doesn't hurt to ask. Try to do so in person.

Two cautions: do your homework about the neighborhood. Some are in transition. Sunday is a good day to drive around and check if it's safe enough for your needs. If you see a lot of homes with long grass and litter, maybe look elsewhere. Also, avoid the area right around OSU, no matter what anyone tells you. There are a lot of unreported crimes, and even if one is a few blocks from the "student ghetto," there's still the potential from spill-overs from parties. I, personally, don't like the area south of Broadway and east of the Grandview (and Upper Arlington) borders, but I'm sure others will argue with that.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:23 PM

33 posts, read 80,453 times
I'm not a women but check out Merion Village. West Gate. King-Lincoln Bronzeville & Olde Town East.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM

26 posts, read 78,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocmh View Post
I just relocated here...I'm a single 43 year old woman with no children looking for ideas on where to live in the Columbus area. All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance.
I think we'll need more details first! Are you into food, art, gardening, running, dog parks, nightlife, etc? Price point? What area do you work in? I would say Clintonville, short north or German village for sure but...if you don't like cities, eating out or gallery hopping...then maybe it's not for you. If you work in Westerville it would be silly to live downtown. See what I mean, LOL? Give us some details!!!

While I think Cashcountry614 has some nice ideas, those areas have barely begun to be gentrified yet and I'm not sure how safe a single woman will feel there. Not saying they aren't safe. Just saying that she might not FEEL safe there. Those areas are going to be great, someday!!!! Just not quite yet

Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 AM

80 posts, read 234,437 times
Definitely depends on what you are into. Some childless people your age might still like the nightlife that many leave behind in their 30s. Others are looking for a "Sex and the City" experience. Or you like quiet nights with a glass of wine, tea, and a book. What do you do for a living? Personally, if I were childless and living in Columbus and worked in the city, I would live in German Village or in some of the new lofts near downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or