U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,341,321 times

Advertisements

Coleman wants NBA team to share Nationwide Arena with Blue Jackets | The Columbus Dispatch

This is a bad idea all around. Mayor Coleman should focus his energy on helping the Blue Jackets struggling franchise before trying to lure an NBA team.

On top of that, Cbus has to be far down the list of existing owner's desired destinations. Seattle & Las Vegas have to be 1-2 in potential destinations, and heck, Cincinnati even makes more sense than Cbus. Plus, highly unlikely that Dan Gilbert would ever vote for a franchise being there since it would take away some of his market share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM

372 posts, read 589,694 times
Totally agree Buckeye in SC - this is a pipe dream. First, the Columbus metro isn't big enough to support an NHL and NBA team, two leagues whose seasons overlap. Second, OSU will put up a fight as an NBA team would battle for fans with OSU basketball. Third, the Cavs wouldn't like having a team 2 hours down the road within their tv market. Fourth, there's no way the Blue Jackets will allow this to happen as they just got the Arena lease deal worked out and are going to gain some financial stability. Finally, Columbus is a pretty good NHL town - they sold out the better part of their first 3 seasons and are still averaging over 14,500 fans to watch an abysmal team that has not won a playoff game in its existence - I can't say the same would be true of an NBA team here, just a hunch. Cincinnati might work if you could make it a regional draw from Lousiville, Lexington and Dayton, but even then, I'm guessing UC and Xavier would be none to happy as college hoops is huge down there.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM

12,786 posts, read 12,767,534 times
I think you guys are being rather dramatic with the whole OSU thing. Football is king there, not basketball, but either way, I don't see why this would hurt OSU or an NBA team. OSU also has hockey, baseball, soccer and lacrosse teams, but Columbus has either pro or minor league teams for those. The Blue Jackets aren't struggling because no one likes hockey, they struggle for attendence because they have yet to have a decent season in the time they've been there. I remember when the Clippers didn't have great attendence over at Cooper Stadium because there were many years they just weren't very good. Over at the new stadium and two years in a row of winning it all, attendence has been fantastic. The Crew has struggled with attendence too, but that's largely for a few reasons: bad location, high ticket prices, outdated stadium. In the case of ticket prices, they're coming down, but they've still got image problems when Americans have yet to really embrace the sport.

Some things going for an NBA team: it's an established sport, one of the big four, something that in terms of pro sports Columbus doesn't yet have. The city already has a new arena in a popular part of the city that continues to grow along with Downtown. The city and metro have strong population growth and the metro itself is poised to pass up the Cleveland market (which has 3 of the top 4), likely before 2020. There is only one NBA team in the state, so in a market approaching 12 million, it's not saturated like MLB or NFL. Kentucky and Southwest Ohio are big basketball markets, and a team in Columbus would attract more people than the NBA in Cleveland.

That said, I also think you're right about Dan Gilbert. I have a feeling he'll be like Marge Schott when Columbus attempted to get an MLB team back in the 1990s. They wouldn't like a team that close, but at the same time, I think of the LA area and realize that if there can be teams in the same metro, why not in different cities hours apart?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They wouldn't like a team that close, but at the same time, I think of the LA area and realize that if there can be teams in the same metro, why not in different cities hours apart?
LA metro is more than 12 million; Cleveland & Cbus combined aren't even 5 million - quite a difference there!

The Crew don't really count b/c MLS is no where near the relevance of the major 4 sports in the US; and the Clippers are minor league. Plus, the cost of tickets is far less at those venues than it would be for an NBA team - cheapest tickets at the Q are $10, and those are in the nose-bleeds; to get even a half-decent seat you have to lay down $30-$40. Cbus would by far be the smallest metro w/both an NBA & NHL franchise in the same town (see the graphic to the left of the article) Denver & Minneapolis are the only two w/under 4 million, and while Cbus is growing, it is not going to double in size anytime soon!

It's all a pipe dream at this point anyway as Sacramento is really the only legit team looking at moving at this point. Anaheim has already been deemed the most desirable place to move by their owners, and if not there, Seattle & Las Vegas make far more sense than Cbus. The NBA has no intentions of expanding at this point and hasn't done so in 15 years when they added the 2 Canadian teams. So it's all kind of curious as to why Coleman is even pursuing this matter - is it just a pub grab? Or does he really think he has a shot?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,561,551 times
Fold the BJ's and bring the NBA to town. Most would rather see the NBA team than the non performing BJ's.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Fold the BJ's and bring the NBA to town. Most would rather see the NBA team than the non performing BJ's.
If only it were that simple! Maybe Cbus could swap w/Charlotte taking the Bobcats straight up for the Blue Jackets!

Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

80 posts, read 225,921 times
I am usually a fan of Coleman's policies, AND a huge sports fan. But I will tell you right now, this is a pipe dream. On Columbusunderground and the 97.1 the Fan pages I have stated the reasons why now is not the time for an NBA team in Columbus. But the basics of it: 1: the Columbus media market is just too small to support it (that is NOT the same as city population, metro population, how many skyscrapers downtown has, etc etc)..Columbus is anywhere from 32-34th nationally and is by farthe smallest or second smallest media market with major sports. By comparison, Cleveland and Cincinnati are in the mid 20s. 2: Proximity to too many other media markets, including NBA markets who have a fan base that bleeds into Columbus, primarily, of course, the Cleveland Cavaliers. So many Cbus basketball fans are already infatuated with the Cavs the same way they are the Indians and Brows! IF somehow Cleveland moves, there is a slight possibility of viability for an NBA franchise in Columbus. 3: David Stern,NBA commissioner stated that the league is NOT expanding anytime soon. Attendance and revenue from other very small markets (Memphis, Charlotte, New Orleans) has been quite lackluster. If a team moves or the league changes it's mind and expands, it would be to a larger market than Columbus.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM

80 posts, read 225,921 times
and as a sports fan, and originally from a large east coast city, I would love to see more pro sports here. But these decisions about where to locate teams are HUGE business decisions, and organizations such as the NBA are not going to take on the risk of failure because of the millions of dollars involved. Columbus is growing by leaps and bounds, there is no doubt. But the media market and population is just not there yet, and is not ingrained the way they are in Cincinnati and Cleveland. Yes, those CITIES have been declining for years while Columbus has been on the rise. But their metro area populations and TV/radio markets have stabilized or grown. Columbus's city limits population is by far the largest in the state. But the MSA/CSA population is still in 3rd place in Ohio behind Cincinnati and Cleveland. The NHL is the only league (and maybe MLS) that could be experimental and take a chance on Columbus. So far, the results have been mixed. People are sadly abandoning the CBJ because of lack of success. What happens when an NBA team doesn't start winning championships right of the bat? You mention Columbus's image as a college town being outdated. That is far from true. This city is still quite into the Buckeyes, and the city still projects a provincial image of itself by doing so. Ratings don't lie. People can say all they want that Columbus has moved past Buckeyemania..but ask anyone in local TV, radio, the Dispatch, internet news outlets..what do people watch, read, listen to? The Buckeyes, especially Buckeye football. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as college sports are as lucrative as the pros, but it is what it is. I would love to see the city's infatuation with everything OSU, but that is not bound to happen in a city where that has been king for a century almost now (and I am an OSU alumn and Buckeye fan, and even I admit, this city looks downright bumpkin with the obsession for OSU sports shown by folks not related to the university). And if Columbus DID get an NBA team..how many people here would go to the games against Cleveland and root for the CAVS? Go to a Blue Jackets game when Detroit or Pittsburgh are in town..and look at the jerseys in the stands. Sad but true. I grew up a Bruins fan and still am, but when at a Jackets game I root for the Jackets.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
LA metro is more than 12 million; Cleveland & Cbus combined aren't even 5 million - quite a difference there!

The Crew don't really count b/c MLS is no where near the relevance of the major 4 sports in the US; and the Clippers are minor league. Plus, the cost of tickets is far less at those venues than it would be for an NBA team - cheapest tickets at the Q are $10, and those are in the nose-bleeds; to get even a half-decent seat you have to lay down $30-$40. Cbus would by far be the smallest metro w/both an NBA & NHL franchise in the same town (see the graphic to the left of the article) Denver & Minneapolis are the only two w/under 4 million, and while Cbus is growing, it is not going to double in size anytime soon!

It's all a pipe dream at this point anyway as Sacramento is really the only legit team looking at moving at this point. Anaheim has already been deemed the most desirable place to move by their owners, and if not there, Seattle & Las Vegas make far more sense than Cbus. The NBA has no intentions of expanding at this point and hasn't done so in 15 years when they added the 2 Canadian teams. So it's all kind of curious as to why Coleman is even pursuing this matter - is it just a pub grab? Or does he really think he has a shot?
I'm not suggesting it's likely anytime soon, just that some of the concerns are being overblown, imo. And when it comes to metro population or market size, again Cleveland is not that much bigger yet has 3 of the major 4, and Columbus is very likely going to pass it up in a matter of a few years. I'm really not sure what the presence of the NHL has to do with anything in this regard.

Coleman has always been about putting focus on the city, and growing the pro sports scene is another way to do it. And I don't even think he believes it's going to happen anytime soon, only that he wanted to get Columbus out there as open to having an NBA team at some point.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusneon View Post
and as a sports fan, and originally from a large east coast city, I would love to see more pro sports here. But these decisions about where to locate teams are HUGE business decisions, and organizations such as the NBA are not going to take on the risk of failure because of the millions of dollars involved. Columbus is growing by leaps and bounds, there is no doubt. But the media market and population is just not there yet, and is not ingrained the way they are in Cincinnati and Cleveland. Yes, those CITIES have been declining for years while Columbus has been on the rise. But their metro area populations and TV/radio markets have stabilized or grown. Columbus's city limits population is by far the largest in the state. But the MSA/CSA population is still in 3rd place in Ohio behind Cincinnati and Cleveland. The NHL is the only league (and maybe MLS) that could be experimental and take a chance on Columbus. So far, the results have been mixed. People are sadly abandoning the CBJ because of lack of success. What happens when an NBA team doesn't start winning championships right of the bat? You mention Columbus's image as a college town being outdated. That is far from true. This city is still quite into the Buckeyes, and the city still projects a provincial image of itself by doing so. Ratings don't lie. People can say all they want that Columbus has moved past Buckeyemania..but ask anyone in local TV, radio, the Dispatch, internet news outlets..what do people watch, read, listen to? The Buckeyes, especially Buckeye football. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as college sports are as lucrative as the pros, but it is what it is. I would love to see the city's infatuation with everything OSU, but that is not bound to happen in a city where that has been king for a century almost now (and I am an OSU alumn and Buckeye fan, and even I admit, this city looks downright bumpkin with the obsession for OSU sports shown by folks not related to the university). And if Columbus DID get an NBA team..how many people here would go to the games against Cleveland and root for the CAVS? Go to a Blue Jackets game when Detroit or Pittsburgh are in town..and look at the jerseys in the stands. Sad but true. I grew up a Bruins fan and still am, but when at a Jackets game I root for the Jackets.
I am really not a fan of making plans only for current conditions and that just seems like really terrible business planning. Even if you believe it's not large enough now, what about 5 years, 10? It's only going in one direction and has been for a long time. I'm not sure what all the criteria pro sports looks at when considering a move or expansion, but I can guarantee that it's more than just market size at a single moment in time.

And again about OSU, Columbus has the one of the highest rates of both domestic and international migration in the Midwest. Meaning that a lot of people are moving there that have little or no connection to OSU. Also, the reason for the focus on OSU has been largely because Columbus lacked major sports to compete. It's gotten a few franchises from much less popular sports, but again, not of the big ones popular with Americans. Hockey is limited and soccer is the most popular sport in the majority of the world but lags well behind the others in the US. Columbus doesn't project the college town because it still really is, but because there have not been a lot of alternatives put forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus