U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 AM

648 posts, read 767,219 times
Default Upper Arlington vs. Bexley

I am interested in hearing local's POVs regarding the primary differences between these two communities. I can see the schools both score high, but Bexley is much smaller than UA - any nuanced differences that can't be discerned from greatschools.org? Housing in both areas look beautiful on King Thompson - I especially like the look of the older homes in UA south of Lane, and Central Bexley sounds like the place to be if you live there - any thoughts on the relative "value" of one area vs the other? Do the residents of one area differ substantially from the other with respect to social/political attitudes? Are there other critical differences you folks on the Columbus city data forum would point out to a remote observer? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 AM

272 posts, read 237,363 times
They are both old money suburbs that are about 10 minutes from downtown. South of Lane in UA is probably a bit more expensive in terms of house for the money than what you'd get in Central Bexley - both sections have housing stock that generally dates form the 1940's and earlier. In my experience I've found the Bexley homes to be a bit more dated and in need of updating than UA homes, but obviously that's not always the case.

As for the schools, they are both highly rated and you couldn't go wrong with either, but keep in mind UA High School is more than than twice the size of Bexley High School and UA has two middle schools while Bexley only has one.

Bexley has traditionally been the center of Columbus' Jewish community and leans a little more liberal both socially and politically than UA, which is definitely more conservative, though has become more liberal in the last decade or two.

One thing to keep in mind about UA versus Bexley is their respective locations. Bexley itself is very safe with great parks and beautiful tree lined streets. However, some of the areas bordering Bexley are rough - this can be intimidating to some. UA is surrounded by more suburban types of neighborhoods as well as OSU.

Both have very good library systems. Central Bexley and South of Lane in UA are walkable, though there is more to walk to in Bexley as Main Street has a number of restaurants and stores and UA's main commercial areas tend to be on its borders other than a small commercial corridor called the Mallway on Arlington Avenue.

Last edited by Cbus76; 05-20-2012 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Word correction

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM

Good info. Would you say that the UA schools have better facilities and/or extracurriculars due to its larger student body, district population, and tax base? How does Grandview stack up to UA and Bexley?

On a separate note, maybe this is not correct, but one could easily conclude that UA is a better long-term investment than Bexley, based simply on the comment about it being surrounded by nicer areas. I am reminded of Hyde Park, Chicago, which is in a similar position as Bexley, i.e., surrounded on all sides by some areas that many north siders would consider rough, and I think that perception that it is an island in the crime-heavy south side is about the only thing holding it back from being as valuable as (for example) swanky enclaves in Lincoln Park. Having said that, a lot of smart money still bets on Hyde Park due to it's proximity to U of Chicago and it's decidedly more liberal/intellectual vibe. But I digress...

Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,346,902 times
I think Bexley as of this moment is sort of like a Hyde Park (minus the high-rise condos and uber-cool children's science museum). However, I think this is gradually changing as Old Town East slowly becomes more gentrified. Still, that gentrification will be a long process only made longer by a sagging housing market. Still, with demand for close-in, walkable communities seeming to be decent in Columbus coupled with the extra-high prices of already gentrified German and Victorian Villages, I would suspect a turn-around to continue in Old Town East. Of course, the areas closer to downtown in Old Town will see quicker redevelopment than the areas closer to Bexley.

Also, areas to the east/southeast of Bexley, specifically the Columbus neighborhoods of Berwick and Eastmoor are decent areas. Are they the same caliber as UA and Bexley (or for Cbus neighborhoods, Clintonville and NW Columbus)? Not really. Are they wastelands? Not at all. So in a way, it is like Hyde Park on a much less severe scale.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM

So folks in Bexley have a vested interest in the health of Old Town. Interesting perspective. Good to know that the "island" effect is less pronounced than in Hyde Park.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 AM

212 posts, read 382,239 times
I wonder if Bexley is still surrounded by "unsafe" neighborhood? At least back in 2004 that's what I saw in many trips that I drove by, and haven't been back there since then.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM

26 posts, read 36,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
I wonder if Bexley is still surrounded by "unsafe" neighborhood? At least back in 2004 that's what I saw in many trips that I drove by, and haven't been back there since then.
Yup! Still an awesome place to live though.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:50 PM

8,525 posts, read 7,759,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
Well, I wouldn't say unsafe as in---Lock all of the doors and run for cover because the thugs have taken over. I would say you need to be alert, it's not Mayberry.

OVERALL Bex is safe it's the out skirts that are the issue.

Even saying that, there is not need to be concerned.

Let's face the facts, crime can occur anywhere at aytime. Moving to certain areas, minimizes the possibilty of crime, it doesn' eliminate it.

I live in Victorian Village, I'd say it's fairly safe and I do, and do it oftem walk to and from places late at night. 3am is not unusual for me to be walking home in Victorian Village.

But you're not me. I can handle myself very well in terms of fighting and I also "carry" if I need too.

Not to mention, UZI Alley's final buildings have been demolished.

No more Woodland Meadows, Greenbrier, etc.......that's where all of the "riff-raff" came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus