U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM

502 posts, read 1,506,350 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest nice affordable suburbs outside of Columbus? I've read a lot about Upper Arlington, Worthington and the like. However, I would like some info on other suburbs including but not limited to: Gahanna, Blacklick, Grove City etc.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 AM

6,395 posts, read 5,945,647 times
Do a search in this forum - Lots of helpful threads.

I live in GC - where I am, nice neighborhood, very afforable, lots of shopping, etc.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Thank you. I did a search of the forums and have been reading this forum for awhile. I haven't read much about Blacklick though and other suburbs. I see everyone mentions New Albany, Upper Arlington, Dublin, Worthington etc. I just wanted a little more information on some of the others. And some that I don't even know about. TIA.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:22 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,987,513 times
That is because, Blacklick, is an area that is nearly invisible to most of Columbus, other than people who live in Blacklick.

The suburbs and Columbus neighborhoods, mentioned on this form, are the most established and larger, well known suburbs and neighborhoods. Most have their own school district, retail districts, and a small or medium sized downtown.

However, the "exurbs" some call it, are more townships that use another suburbs schools. Blacklick is really just a township like, bedroom community. No one goes to Blacklick unless you live there, which may be an upside for you. I believe, Blacklick uses Reynoldsburg schools (the nearby suburb.) I do know they do not have their own schools.

An example of another township that is now a dense, developed area is Lewis Center. They use the Olentangy School district (same as Powell and some other parts of Delaware county)

Old 09-26-2007, 02:09 AM

Ohh, I see. So what are the benefits of places like Blacklick. What does Blacklick have other than homes. Does it have shopping and the like or do you have to drive to another suburb or into the city for that.

Thank you so much for your input. I tried doing a google search on the area but I wasn't coming up with much. TIA..

Old 09-26-2007, 05:52 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,987,513 times
Blacklick, is located close to Columbus' outerbelt and right near areas of Columbus and Reynoldsburg with A LOT of retail.

Being not far from the outerbelt you are only a 15minute drive (at the longest) to Easton Town Center, and really not that far off from downtown Columbus. It is just that Blacklick doesn't have much retail/shopping, but there's a lot near by.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:51 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,402,707 times
Hi Vitalove, and welcome to Columbus! (...or welcome to the 'burbs, rather)

One important thing to know about Columbus suburbs: nearly ALL of the major communities ringing the outerbelt (270) started out historically as separate towns—with their own identity, economy and (mostly rural) culture, apart from Columbus. This is true of Worthington, Westerville, New Albany, Gahanna, Reynoldsburg, Groveport, Grove City, Hilliard and Dublin! That's why—despite all the soulless modern sprawl around it—each of these communities still has its own historic downtown area.

Of the places you listed, Grove City and Gahanna are both really nice. Grove City in particular has a friendly, "down home" feel to it—a tangible legacy of its history as a small town totally separate from Columbus (see above). GC is also home to Beulah Park, a race track where they have thoroughbred racing, and occasionally concerts. Many parts of GC still feel semi-rural, in fact.

Gahanna is more white-collar than Grove City, but still has many nice, down-to-earth people. In Gahanna you're very close to the airport—which could be a positive or a negative, depending on your point of view. Gahanna has also invested considerably in the restoration of its picturesque downtown, and today there's lots to do there (non-chain restaurants, bars, unique shopping).

Another place you may want to consider: Canal Winchester. Tucked away in the SE corner of the county, CW has access to 270 via 33. It's still only about 15 mins. from downtown by car. CW's growth spurt has been among the more recent, and the community still has a lot of its distinct character including a beautiful historic area, one-of-a-kind shops, some lovely older homes, and a spirited Labor Day parade to cap off every summer.

As others have already explained, Blacklick is a less developed area and isn't really a "suburb" in the typical sense. Places like Blacklick offer a quiter, strictly residential atmosphere.

Best of luck to you!

Lanc

Old 09-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Thank you all so much for your answers. And for the clarity of the suburbs and "exburbs." I must say that I find this side of the forum very friendly and people are so giving and willing to share information. I really appreciate that. Can't wait to move.

I will definitely check more into Gahanna, Grove City and of course Canal Winchester.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 AM

1,407 posts, read 3,402,707 times
No problem Vitalove! Let us know how it goes..

Lanc

Old 10-10-2007, 04:29 PM

37 posts, read 117,691 times
Just Checking The Stats On This One, It Says That The Crime Rate In Blacklick Is Very High...is This Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus