Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times

Advertisements

I'm just getting acquainted about the details of the Columbus metro... I'm aware of many, great suburban school districts, but how are the city public schools?

Are there any tiered programs (magnet, gifted, arts, etc.) for middle/high school?

What are some specific schools, even if they're not specialized for a particular program, that are safe, and generally have a good reputation?

Which ones are the schools to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 04:27 PM

22 posts, read 33,995 times
My limited experience with CPS is I spent my last year in HS here, and went to Centennial High (little over a decade ago). It was touted (and still is) the best HS in the district. It was very clean, well done, low crime, felt "safe" there. Standards for learning seemed to be extremely subpar from what I was used to (came from northern VA). Extracurricular and advanced placement classes seemed to have a lot fewer options then the schools I was used to in NOVA. I think the best part was you could take classes at a career school for credit instead, but then you get into how good the career school is :-P. As far as art I've heard some good things about some local private schools, nothing about CPS though. I think generally CPS has a bad rep.

In my experience : grade school was a very minute fraction of the knowledge needed to accelerate in life. I'm not getting hung up on school district technicalities for my family. I think supplemental education and experience will do better then any grade school will. The biggest issue to consider (for me) is the socialization factor and the students/peers/environment they will adapt to and build off of.

I'm sure you've looked up greatschools.org for info, just like city-data, they have good statistics. Columbus City Schools City School District in Columbus, OH | GreatSchools

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM

198 posts, read 524,743 times
My wife told me that kids won't go to the nearest school to them. It's all random. We live near a grade school .. it's like 4 blocks away... and I want him to go there since he and I could walk to school instead of taking a bus.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,417,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodycount View Post
My wife told me that kids won't go to the nearest school to them. It's all random. We live near a grade school .. it's like 4 blocks away... and I want him to go there since he and I could walk to school instead of taking a bus.
I thought that open enrollment was optional, and that you would be allowed to go to the school in your district.

To the OP, Whetstone is better than Centennial and is located about three miles north of the OSU campus. They have AP classes, a competitive robotics club, and a quizbowl team, and probably other extracurricular activities of that ilk that I don't know about.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:23 PM

35 posts, read 83,694 times
Columbus City Schools have several magnet programs, including langage-focused schools like Ecole Kenwood and a well-regarded "informal" K-8 school (Indianola Informal). They also have Columbus Alternative High School, which has excellent academics but lacks sports; however, Whetstone (a traditional high school in Clintonville) also received an "Excellent" rating on its most-recent state report card. Clinton Elementary (also in Clintonville) has one of the highest rankings in the county, outscoring many suburban schools. Check out: https://www.facebook.com/ClintonvilleGoPublic.

The district has not had "random" assignments of schools in decades. The elementary attendance maps are here: Columbus City Schools - Elementary School Boundary Maps.

If you are looking for good schools in a less "suburban" environment, Clintonville is a great choice!

Old 07-10-2012, 10:56 AM

89 posts, read 119,809 times
Seriously CPS suck. I grew up Canton, OH and I got a great education there, teachers that cared and actually wanted the kids to do well, took Geometry in the 8th grade and Trig in the 10th! I went to CPS my last 2 years of HS (I graduated in 2001), I went to Whetstone and my math teacher was DEMOTED after that first year to Algebra! She was tasked with instructing us in Pre-Calculus, but she was teaching Trig and I went over to her, told her butt that ALL this course looked really familiar to me and I already took this class. A couple students and I complained about the education but her butt still taught, the whole year! None of us were able to go to Calculus because we lacked the knowledge. I say stay away from CPS, they tend to be inactive when you want action and overkill when little to no reaction is needed. Send your kids to a private school or home school them. Columbus Schools for Boys and Girls, St Andrews, and Bishop Waterson are great. I think it will be worth the sacrifice in the long run.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:09 PM

35 posts, read 83,694 times
FWIW, I have heard (but admittedly have no first hand knowledge) that Whetstone has improved quite a lot in the last ten years. Its state report card has certainly improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus