U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,145 times

Advertisements

I need some assistance with a parking issue. We live on a cul de sac and recently we have had a family move in that have decided the cul de sac is an extension of their personal property. They pick up scrap in the night and park on the road shortbof the driveway. Also, it has turned into a weekend garage having up to 3 cars being worked on, sometimes left on jacks overnight for a few nights. If you imagine a pie, with the pieces being driveways, this sometimes makes it difficult for families on either side to exit our homes in a safe manner. Concerns are the small children riding bikes in the safety of their own neighbprhood and the inconvenience of one family parking in the middle of a city street. Does this mean we couldstop any where to park or repair our vehicles? Any help........calling 311 has been a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 01:04 PM

212 posts, read 600,130 times
Humm that's tuffy! I'd call the non-emergency police line. 645-4545. I'm in Grove City and I use that #. Pretty sad I have that in my cell phone. but I've used it on parking issues on my street, questionable people hanging around in places they shouldn't, etc. personally I'd be pissed, the cul-de-sac is techincally the road, not their own personal driveway!

Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM

73 posts, read 145,753 times
I'm not sure which governmental and law enforcement agency serves your particular street, but in general, if you live on a public street (not in an apartment complex, for example), a cul de sac is a part of the public street and falls under the same laws. Cities typically have laws that prohibit working on vehicles on a public street except in emergencies, or the parking or storage of partially disassembled or obviously inoperative vehicles on public streets. It most places, it is also illegal to place any material or object in a public street (junk or scrap, for example), that creates an obstacle or hazard, or prevents other traffic from using the street.

Also, parking laws in a public cul de sac are the same as anywhere on a public street, meaning parallel to and within 12" of the curb, not blocking a driveway or a fire hydrant, etc. Those laws exist to prohibit the exact kind of inconsiderate, property value decreasing type of activity you're describing.

I know that some of what people call "Galloway" is actually in west Columbus, some may be in the corporate limits of Grove City, and some is in unincorporated Franklin County, so the first thing for you to know for sure which agency has jurisdiction on your street (645-4545 is for Columbus Police only, and won't do you any good if you don't live within the corporate limits of Columbus). Then, call the appropriate agency's non-emergency line and let them know what's going on, anonymously if you so desire. Hopefully you will get a satisfactory response.

If you live in an apartment complex, however, those streets and cul de sacs within an apartment complex are typically not public streets. In other words, they were built and are maintained by a private entity such as the owner(s) of the complex rather than by a government entity using tax money. Therefore they are private property and many parking and similar laws that apply to public streets won't apply there, but some other laws, such as certain prohibitions against junk vehicles, still do. If that's your case, start by complaining to the complex management, and if that doesn't work, move up to the applicable government agency.

Last edited by 98PanAm; 08-14-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus