U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:41 PM

15 posts, read 23,997 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why there isn't a subway system in the Columbus area. It's the capital. Amrtrak only goes as far as Cincinatti??? Why is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM

140 posts, read 264,053 times
Columbus is currently the largest metro area with no type of passenger rail. Voters passed down sales tax increases that would have gone towards light rail in the 80s and the late 90s. Mayor Michael Coleman supported the issue and looked further for federal grants, but it was rejected around the same time Kasich struck down the 3-C rail plan.

To me, it's a bit ridiculous. The 15th largest city, 32nd largest metro depends solely on COTA busses. That's it.

There was actually something in the news recently that they're conducting a study to connect Columbus to Chicago through Ft. Wayne, IN and east to Pittsburgh, though nothing has been planned. That would be nice, but it would do nothing for local commuters or people that need to get somewhere in Columbus.

Columbus used to have an Amtrak station where the Greater Columbus Convention Center is, but that must have been way before I moved here in the mid 90s.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:24 PM

189 posts, read 328,846 times
I think it would be interesting if Columbus created a BRT (bus rapid transit) line somewhere in the city as a test run. Cleveland is having a lot of success with the Healthline, which connects downtown to University Circle through midtown.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,756,075 times
Most cities don't have subways, which are very expensive to build. BRT is coming to Columbus, with the first route from Downtown up Cleveland Avenue. It's under planning stages right now, so it might be another year or so before it actually moves forward. There is a plan to bring back passenger rail to Columbus in a Chicago-Columbus-Pittsburgh line. I've see the proposals and it looks cool. I'm not sure what the current status of this project is right now, though. As far as local light rail goes, it's hard telling when that will happen. Broad Street is going to be rebuilt Downtown with a more pedestrian friendly configuration, less traffic lanes and bike/walking paths. From what I understand, when this is complete, it would be able to eventually support light rail. The bottom line is that the urban Columbus population is growing, and the city's population is now growing faster than the suburban population. Auto traffic is getting worse, but only gradually. You need a base population density to support light rail and I think Columbus is reaching that point. I would expect to see new proposals for this coming back within the next few years, especially if the overall economy continues to improve.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:21 PM

38 posts, read 177,817 times
Public transportation isn't required here other than the current bus/taxi system. This city is very spread out compared to other cities. Most people have cars and parking is plentiful and free or cheap ($6)/day. When parking gets tighter and more expensive then I can see a need for a bigger system.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:40 PM

189 posts, read 328,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklesla View Post
Public transportation isn't required here other than the current bus/taxi system. This city is very spread out compared to other cities. Most people have cars and parking is plentiful and free or cheap ($6)/day. When parking gets tighter and more expensive then I can see a need for a bigger system.
Yeah, but we can get into the whole chicken or the egg debate regarding public transportation and urban growth. I think that if the city is to continue growing there needs to be a better transit system in place beforehand. Also, a good rail or BRT system would encourage storefront businesses and apartment development along those routes in ways that regular busses can't.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 AM

4,007 posts, read 4,829,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rklesla View Post
Columbus is no different from most other mid-west towns. The automobile is king and helps propagate sprawl instead of good urban density.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:48 AM

3,383 posts, read 3,698,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Columbus is no different from most other mid-west towns. The automobile is king and helps propagate sprawl instead of good urban density.
In attempts to build any type of light rail transit, Columbus has also been hamstrung by what has crippled Cincinnati--and that is the resistance of so many of the outlying suburbs (who see LRT as just a "city thing," benefiting it alone). In Cincinnati's case, the smaller city overrode its larger metro and voted in streetcars; in Columbus' case, the large city and similar-sized metro spoke as one and negated such progress. However, implementation of BRT up along High Street will undoubtedly attract positive press and new ridership, and pave the way for LRT.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 AM

7,870 posts, read 6,819,268 times
Columbus is such a big, sprawling city, it really could use some kind of rail to connect it all. It's really hard to get around without a car, especially if you want to go anywhere that's not High Street. I guess BRT on High is a good start, but to be honest, LRT is just so much better.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM

38 posts, read 177,817 times
I just can't see a rail system being effective here except maybe for inside the inner belt. Anywhere outside that it's cheaper, quicker, and easier by car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus