U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM

49 posts, read 82,663 times
I like all this positive attitude about Cbus. and I think its a great city to call home. But its more than a nice downtown and a great zoo.
Heres what I like as a resident:

If you like 4 seasons but don't want an extreme of any of them, Columbus is nice. Not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter(Cleveland winters are far colder).

Education- Columbus has many schools that are among the best from elementary- colleges. Dublin, Olentangy, Bexley, Upper Arlington, Worthington, are all very GREAT school systems. There are many others that I would also consider good.

Downtown- Columbus DT will only improve. More and more people are coming back to the heart of the city instead of moving out to the burbs. the reason... DT living in Cbus is safe, and easy to get around.

Traffic- Sure its not the best during rush hour, but similar sized cities have it a lot worse!

Dislikes:

Buckeyes colors may be scarlet and gray, but the skies are almost always GRAY! I like our skyline, and I don't know what is so awesome about Cleveland's but Cbus' skyscrapers are unique in design... it lakes a larger body of water and the land is too flat. Cleveland looks great because of Lake Erie and Pitt looks great with all the bridges.. anyway, with the skies gray so often.. it really makes the city look a lot worse than it is

Sports: I'm a big sports fan.. and Cbus' Bluejackets and Crew don't cut it. As people leave Cleveland, I think the pro sports should follow. Its not a bad drive to Cinncy or Cleveland, but I wish for a city our size we had our own. Luckily we have OSU, which is Ohio's most important team. People act like OSU is a Columbus thing, people all over our state go crazy about the Buckeyes. I went to college at Bowling Green is Northwest Ohio close to Michigan. Its a division 1 school, that isn't as well known. On saturdays more people were dressed in scarlet and gray than brown and orange. Even when BGSU played OSU, college students of BG would hope we came close, but would never wish for the Bucks to loose.

wow, thats a lot more than I meant to say, but for all those thinking about making a move... Cbus certainly isn't a bad place at all. Housing is fairly priced, and people are generally friendly. Just keep in mind that the grass is always greener on the other side. Either way, I think its great to go out and explore different parts of our great nation. I personally am ready for a change and am considering Colorado Springs or Chattanooga TN. Just to get closer to nature while staying close to a midsized city. best of luck, hope i was some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
Hey everyone. I just read some really great reasons as to stay or leave c-bus. Everyone has their own frame of mind about what to do or where is the best/worst place to live. When I am done with school, I plan on moving back out west. Columbus is my home, but after awhile it does get quite "dull". Out West, the weather is always nice, you can always find something different to do other than eat, and become oh what is Columbus, the 10th fattest city in the Continental United States? This is my home, I will always love it dearly, but there are much cooler places than here. Especially where it doesn't snow and is sunny nearly everyday!

Old 07-05-2010, 04:48 PM

25 posts, read 26,281 times
This is my first visit to Columbus and I gotta say I am disappointed. I was in Pittsburgh on my way here. Crumbling roads and rust all around.
C-Bus wasn't any fresher either, downtown seemed alright, but not too much life there, I passed through a few neighborhoods on my way to downtown and they were all dirty and had that "ghost" feeling to them, with dirty, homeless and apparently desperate folks wandering around..
Will I ever be able to discover a city in the US with no or few abandoned buildings, bad roads, lots of people on the streets (not only during business hours) and real charm ? Probably no, and don't say New York or Chicago or Miami Beach, please..
I came to my hotel room at 5 o'clock and I'm planning to call it a day..
I know there might be a lot to see, but it's just not my type of a city.
My intention is not to disrespect the local people, I had quite a positive attitude and high expectations before I came over to check the place out, but oh well, it's just another American city looking "outdated" besides a few shiny buildings downtown...
Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for reading, again, I have absolutely no bad intentions towards the people in this section of the forum or the city itself, I just wish it lived up to its reputation and name..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,095,722 times
I am from WV and lived in Cols for 9 years as well as a few other cities. While Columbus was "ok", I would not recommend it to anyone unless they had a really good career opportunity there or something like that. I will say that the people there are pretty nice folks by and large, but overall, I would not move back.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:11 PM

41 posts, read 50,922 times
I just moved out of Columbus after being there for 19 years and I honestly don't know where people are getting their stats about all of the violent crime that is supposedly in Columbus. Maybe it was just me but I found Columbus to be a very safe place to live. Are there areas where decent folk shouldn't go? Absolutely, but what city doesn't have that? Call me cruel, but inner city skanks shooting inner city skanks is of no onsequence to hard working families living in the suburbs. Yes, the area around OSU is not the best and young people do need to be smart about being on the streets in some of those neighborhoods after dark, but otherwise saying that crime in Columbus is high is laughable. If you're living in UA, Dublin, Hilliard, Gahana, Westerville, et al then you are more likely to encounter bored kids breaking into your garage then any violence. Unfortunately, Columbus is a rather boring town and the same goes for its crime.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,385,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfctplace3 View Post
I've been searching for a new place to call home after living in Austin Texas for a few years. After countless hours online I've come to the conclusion that Columbus, Ohio and the surrounding suburbs are the best place for me. Why you ask? Here are my reasons...

1. Rain--enough of it not to be in the major drought areas especially in the central and northeastern part of the state. I like gardening and having nice plants so this was important to me.

2. Columbus Zoo and aquarium--one of the best zoos in the country. I like being able to take my nieces and nephews to a fun place.

3. Good Libraries--rated best libraries in the country in many parts of Ohio. Love a good book and it is a good indication that people are literate.

4. Restaurants--great restaurants here especially for someone with Celiac-gluten intolerance like I have. I found 7 restaurants so far that have gluten free menus.
They also have Whole Foods, Raisin Rack, and Trader Joes which carry specialty foods.

5. Four seasons---I can't wait to get out of the heat of Central Texas...It will be so nice to see the leaves changing, and some snow maybe for Christmas. I like that central Ohio doesn't get too much snow, just enough to enjoy now and then.

6. Less chance of catastrophic weather. Low chance of major earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, hail...etc.

7. Beautiful parks and gardens. I found countless parks and gardens to visit and a bird watching society.

8. Housing prices are still reasonable. There are alot of good deals on homes in Ohio and they aren't 1,000 sq ft ranches like in some of the affordable states.

9. Farmer's Markets--lots of fresh produce from local farms. Just look on Local Harvest online to find them.

10. Lots of things to do in and around the city....festivals, ballet, theater, symphony, sports, museums, shopping at big malls and little boutiques.

I have looked all over the US and I'm very happy to have finally found a good place to relocate.
3 years later, i guess Columbus wasn't the perfect place.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:53 AM

314 posts, read 341,215 times
Maybe Columbus is SOOO perfect that they moved here and started never surfed the internet again because there was so much great stuff to do lol.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,614,302 times
Columbus is a great city to call home ... it boasts far more amenities than it "ever" receives accolades for.
People who rag on this city are just the typical "whiners" who have nothing better to do or say.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 37,656 times
I just moved to columbus less than a month ago. Evidently I'm getting "old" and found my self to be the only single person I know here. (all my cousins and uncles live here and evidently their all married or in the process of getting married) I'm under alot of pressure to get out there and actually meet someone. Does anyone know any places to meet quality straight men? I moved from PA and there I was lucky if they had teeth and could compile a sentence. I'm well educated and consider my self successful. Don't say dating site because I'm on those and they don't work. Specific hang out places for crowds 28+ would be great.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,614,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterSweetSarah View Post
I just moved to columbus less than a month ago. Evidently I'm getting "old" and found my self to be the only single person I know here. (all my cousins and uncles live here and evidently their all married or in the process of getting married) I'm under alot of pressure to get out there and actually meet someone. Does anyone know any places to meet quality straight men? I moved from PA and there I was lucky if they had teeth and could compile a sentence. I'm well educated and consider my self successful. Don't say dating site because I'm on those and they don't work. Specific hang out places for crowds 28+ would be great.
Sarah, don't be dismayed, you're in one of the best cities for young
professionals ... There are a plethora of options for you in Columbus, as the city has an ever emerging and youthful populace. Check out the following areas for meeting other young professionals like yourself ...

The Arena District

Columbus Ohio Arts + Entertainment | Arena District | Downtown Columbus Ohio

German Village

| German Village Society

Short North

Short North Arts District Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus |

I have just spent a wonderful year living in Columbus, but now have chosen to relocate back to my native Cleveland, a city that also offers excellent options for young professionals. Check them out here ...

East Fourth Street

East Fourth Neighborhood - Cleveland, OH

Warehouse District

Historic Warehouse District

Cleveland Neighborhoods - The Warehouse District

Gateway District

http://www.historicgateway.org/

Cedar Fairmount

http://www.cedarfairmount.com/

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus