U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 10,328 times

Advertisements

Columbus traffic's not bad, but it's not free of traffic. If you're working in NA, I would not go west of 315 (meaning, Dublin and Upper Arlington is too far out.). I'd also avoid Powell so that you won't have to take 315 north during rush hour.
I'd look at Westerville, Lewis center (north of Polaris mall), and northeast part of Worthington (east of 315, north of 270). All have good to great schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM

14 posts, read 21,919 times
I dont know if you are still checking this, but we relocated 6 months ago to Granville. My husband works in Granville, which is why we live here. If you have any more questions about Granville, let me know and I would be happy to answer them (including the village vs. township stuff).

We are actually looking to leave Granville- we will most likely be buying in either Westerville or Worthington. Granville is absolutely the best small town I have ever seen- but it is still a small town. Lots of people live in Granville and commute all the way into Columbus because they want that- we wanted to be more in the city, and have a proper organic grocery store nearby

The schools in Granville are awesome- but it is a smaller district. That can be good or bad. For us, it was more towards bad because we have a special needs kid, and they don't offer as many special services. For an average to above average kid, though, I think it is an excellent district.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM

363 posts, read 833,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave72 View Post
I am going to look at a couple homes in Granville next week. The realtor I spoke to said some things that are a bit confusing to me.

See, in MA, you're either in a city or a town. If you understand New England history, every state in New England was divided into towns back in the colonial days. A town became a city basically when it got big enough (it's a bit more than that, but that's the basic idea).

Ohio seems more complicated. Just in the Granville area, you have the village of Granville, then "Granville South" as well as Granville Township, then there is also Union Township, which has an address of Granville and is in the Granville schools. Villages and cities are one thing, and I guess townships are another? I'm not sure.

Is it hard to keep track of all this, or are Ohioans just used to it? I want to know that the house I buy is really where I think it is!

Two homes I'm looking at are less than a mile apart. Both are "Granville, Ohio" but one is in Granville Township, and one actually Union township, but in Granville schools.

Am I worried more about all this than I should be?
Pennsylvania also has "townships", in addition to cities, boroughs, and villages. The difference here though is that townships are separate, unincorporated entities. A city or borough is always incorporated, and therefore is not a part of any township. Villages in PA are unincorporated, and are governed by the township in which it is located.

In Ohio, incorporated municipalities are in many cases located inside townships.

Easily put...it's basically a way of establishing boundaries for school districts, police/fire services, etc...

My friend lives in Lowell, Massachussetts, and he says anything located outside Lowell's city limits does not use Lowell's ZIP codes.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:53 AM

157 posts, read 224,009 times
We lived in New Albany for ten years from 1999 - 2009. We relocated from Texas, but my husband is a New Englander.

We enjoyed living in NA and were happy with the schools. A couple of thoughts on your post. All three towns you mentioned are nice. Personally, Granville is too small for me but it depends on what you want in a community. I think I would have spent a lot of time driving to Columbus for a Target, Traders Joes, Easton, gym, etc. Powell is very pretty and has great schools.

Bexley is another town to consider for an easy commute to NA. I don't care much for Westerville and I do think that the other towns (NA, Granville and Powell) you mentioned have better schools than Westerville. Worthington is another area with good schools and a manageable commute to NA.

As far as weather, I think that Columbus has milder winters than Boston.

Getting to and from the airport will be much easier than dealing with Logan especially if you live on the east side of town.

Curious if you had made your decision. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or