Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 AM

82 posts, read 238,330 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are thinking about relocating to the area and are wondering what anyone can tell us about some certain areas that were considering ..we would like know

1. What the "stigma" might be when you say that you live there...(I hope that makes sense...)

2. What areas are considered "out there" or "the sticks" .... We would like to have a little bit of land...one to two plus acres with a home w/ a basement......but we do not want to be too far out.

3. Schools aren't really a concern personally ... but they are for resale value .....

4. We don't need to really commute for work .. so commuting into Columbus is not a concern ..

5. What are the private utilities like in areas...is there a certain area known for Great or Bad well water?

6. Is there a certain area that is known for being "cheap" or rundown?

7. Anything that you can tell us would be greatly appreciated....

8. Price range just depends on what it is . . . were just trying to narrow down some good areas to start looking more seriously in . .

9. We really do not want to be in the city . . . so Twp is best . . .

Some areas we would like some info / comments on are: (but are really open to other suggestions ..)

Delaware County -- what areas are desirable? what areas are considered "out there"
Union County -- " "
Licking COunty -- " "

Sunbury?

Berkshire?

Johnstown?

Marysville?

Plain City?

NewarK?

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM

14,654 posts, read 14,594,339 times
Pretty much anywhere outside a city & its suburbs is considered "the sticks" in Ohio. There are plenty of small towns in the 5-10k range, and beyond that it's all country.
The only place I've been in your list is Delaware OH. It's a nice small town within easy commuting distance of Columbus. They have some historical buildings and a couple cafes from what I can remember in their downtown area.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Pretty much anywhere outside a city & its suburbs is considered "the sticks" in Ohio.
It seems that Delaware has a pretty big population...34,000 plus people.....and seems to be pretty nice in the surrounding areas.....so if Delaware is a suburb outside of Columbus....

Where past Delaware is the "sticks?"

is Sunbury? - - what about Marysville? Plain City? anyone have some insight?

Thanks so Much!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 313,812 times
Delaware County -- what areas are desirable? what areas are considered "out there" The city of Delaware seems to have a lot going for it, but I would add Sunbury. The area in and aroun Delaware is nice. Delaware county is/was one of the fastest growing counties in the country.

Union County -- " " Ehh. I guess you could say Marysville is desirable. I haven't been there in a while but as far as I can remember it was just an average midwestern town.

Licking COunty -- " " Granville is the most desirable part of Licking County. Great schools, beautiful town, it really reminds me of a New England town, even though it's in Ohio. In Licking County, to be honest, I would avoid all of it, excluding Granville, Johnstown, Etna, parts of Pataskala, and the little section of Reynoldsburg that's actually in Licking County. Licking County is good in parts, but overall I find it trashy with way too many abandoned farms, houses, etc.

Sunbury? Sunbury is a great small town. The thing I like about the area is the tall trees, not as many boring farms in the area.

Berkshire?

Johnstown?
Johnstown is another great small town.

Marysville To me, Marysville is just an average Midwestern town. Nothing really special about it.

Plain City?

NewarK?
I could go on a rant about all the things wrong with society, and sadly they can all be found in one town. Newark. Most of the properties inside the city of Newark are not well maintained. The farms and villages around Newark for the most part are the same way. Newark ("Nerk") is known for being the trashy, redneck area. I feel bad for the decent people that live there.

I havent been to Berkshire or Plain City so I can't really give much info on them.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 AM

Question Thanks for reply....

Thanks for the reply.....

We drove around the outskirts of Johnstown yesterday....seems nice here and there....but is it considered way out there? or is it kinda like Sunbury . . .?

We never made it to Granville.......

1. Do people commute from Granville to outside of Columbus or Columbus for work or is it considered too far to mess with....

2. Is it a nice place to take a drive to on a Sunday afternoon?

3. Does it have a reputation as being a "nice" town?

Do you know anything about the outskirts of Union County? Does it have a stigma as being "trashy"?
Some parts seemed really nice.....but then its hard to judge just by driving around here and there........
We were on different sides of Marysville.....do you know anything about north of Marysville (Pharisburg)?

Thanks so Much ---
Any insight is appreciated.......

Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,399,954 times
Holy ellipsis!!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Thanks for the reply.....

We drove around the outskirts of Johnstown yesterday....seems nice here and there....but is it considered way out there? or is it kinda like Sunbury . . .?

We never made it to Granville.......

1. Do people commute from Granville to outside of Columbus or Columbus for work or is it considered too far to mess with....

2. Is it a nice place to take a drive to on a Sunday afternoon?

3. Does it have a reputation as being a "nice" town?

Do you know anything about the outskirts of Union County? Does it have a stigma as being "trashy"?
Some parts seemed really nice.....but then its hard to judge just by driving around here and there........
We were on different sides of Marysville.....do you know anything about north of Marysville (Pharisburg)?

Thanks so Much ---
Any insight is appreciated.......
Almost all of the small towns in surrounding counties from Columbus, anymore, are becoming more or less commuter suburbs. Most of their growth comes from people who want the country or a smaller town feel but still work in the Columbus area. It's really not unusual to have people commute from Granville, Johnstown, etc. I've always heard good things about Granville.

I've never heard of the notion of Union County being trashy. It's a lot like P1ckaway County or Madison County, imo. There are a few larger towns, but it's still mostly farms (outside of the Dublin outskirts and Marysville, that is).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus