Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,588,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston is indeed very transient. I'll try to find some supporting stats, but it definitely is. I mean, you've got people from all over coming to Harvard, MIT, BC, BU, Northeastern, Berkley. It's a college town (no, that's not offensive, embrace it, Cbus) Then they leave. Sure, some stay, but not most. I have met very few people in Boston proper actually from Boston. Seems like everyone is either from Korea or New Hampshire in my area. A lot of native Bostonians have been pushed to the suburbs by the younger, transient types. Like me. Sorry, Boston.

It has nothing to do with tax rates. People leave because that's what you do when you graduate.

It does have something to do with tax rates and the overall cost of living. If it didn't, there would be a lot more people flocking to San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, Boston, etc.

How many people from Columbus say they want to move to Boston so they can pay higher taxes and higher overall COL?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
SF & the Bay Area are the same way (with start-ups/tech companies being the draw). The people who leave for financial reasons (including myself) do so much more often because of rents/real estate prices, not taxes.

Total real estate prices include property taxes.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,019,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
It does have something to do with tax rates and the overall cost of living. If it didn't, there would be a lot more people flocking to San Francisco, Seattle, NYC, Boston, etc.

How many people from Columbus say they want to move to Boston so they can pay higher taxes and higher overall COL?
You can't just look at tax rates, though, because just discussing them lacks the context of what you're getting out of it. If you move to NYC, clearly it's going to be a more expensive place to live, but you also get one of the most amenity-dense cities in the world for your money. A much smaller city like Columbus is going to be much cheaper, but it's also going to lack a lot that you would find there. Again, I'm fully on board with the idea of spending taxes wisely, but there are obvious reasons some places are more expensive than others.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM

If your paycheck does not allow you to live in a high tax/high COL area, then you will not be living there no matter how many amenities the high COL offers.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If your paycheck does not allow you to live in a high tax/high COL area, then you will not be living there no matter how many amenities the high COL offers.
I would think that goes without saying, but then why complain about high taxes in NYC if you can't afford it anyway? This seems to me like the debate about suburban vs urban living. The suburbs are generally cheaper, but you can't find very many city amenities there. "You get what you pay for" applies here... or maybe "You get what you can afford".

Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,380,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I would think that goes without saying, but then why complain about high taxes in NYC if you can't afford it anyway? This seems to me like the debate about suburban vs urban living. The suburbs are generally cheaper, but you can't find very many city amenities there. "You get what you pay for" applies here... or maybe "You get what you can afford".
Actually, IMO the lower cost of living in cities like Cleveland is one of the attractions that brings the younger population downtown. Face it, most of the people rent and don't have to put a down payment on a place and many don't have much as far as transportation (vehicle). Heck my property taxes when I lived in Chagrin would buy a very nice apartment downtown. Now if you are talking NYC, Boston then we're a different story..

Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Actually, IMO the lower cost of living in cities like Cleveland is one of the attractions that brings the younger population downtown. Face it, most of the people rent and don't have to put a down payment on a place and many don't have much as far as transportation (vehicle). Heck my property taxes when I lived in Chagrin would buy a very nice apartment downtown. Now if you are talking NYC, Boston then we're a different story..
Downtown yes, but Downtown is well into the process of revitalization. There are much cheaper neighborhoods in Cleveland (and Columbus) than Downtown, but I bet many people wouldn't go out of their way to live there. The cheap housing and lower taxes of East Cleveland or East Main in Columbus don't seem to have too many people pounding down the doors of local real estate agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus