Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM

22 posts, read 34,006 times

Advertisements

Yeah, so I moved here about 8 months ago. Right outside of CW incorporated (Bloom Township), but still within it's mailing address. Everyone around here is so freaking gun ho crazy, I don't know what to do. I've lived in Downtown cbus, Grove City, Dublin, Worthington, and for 8 years i live in the middle of no where in WV then northern VA. The latter two places were filled with "southerners", those stereotypical folk who you would expect to fire off their guns non stop. While they did carry guns with them and in their trucks, I never heard gun shots unless maybe someone was hunting.

Here in CW I've roughly identified at least 5 or 6 neighbors within 1000ft probably, who target practice in their backyard for hours a day. I've heard them do it at all times of the day, midnight, even 4am before. Sometimes they fire off a round a minute, sometimes 10. All different calibers. I mean I feel like I'm living in either a warzone or surrounded by firring ranges. On most weekends - I can't sit outside for more then 15 minutes without hearing someone firing off a weapon. They do it sometimes throughout the weekdays frequently too ( i work from my home most the time ), but its obviously more concentrated on the weekend. Heard it in the rain, in the snow, 10degrees out - it really doesn't matter - it really doesn't stop.

I own 2 acres of woods behind my house, where a neighbor on the other side of the woods fires off his gun. I can't trust he's doing it safely, so I don't go on my own property (back there) often. My son certainly is not aloud. About 4 months ago a day where there was rapid fire for hours, I heard what I believe is a bullet hit my roof. It is the loudest thing I've had hit my house, and was certainly something small and precise - not like a large branch or tree. Unfortunately I never did find the evidence to prove it, but it's got me worried enough that this isn't a safe place.

I really don't know what to do, looking for suggestions. Sad thing is I spent probably 60 collective hours spread out over 2 months at this house or on the property, prior to purchasing. Never once heard any gun fire. Nor did any of my neighbors I interviewed (who don't fire off their guns) mention it prior. About a month after moving in it seemed to start.

Thanks

Last edited by the.root; 03-23-2013 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM

225 posts, read 462,387 times
Move and cut your losses. Safety is of the utmost importance.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
I'm sure there's a way to get them to stop shooting through your land. I would call the local police department and find out if they're breaking any laws (I have no idea if they are) or if there are steps you can take to reign this in. I kind of doubt that target practice in a residential area is entirely, if at all, legal.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 PM

22 posts, read 34,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm sure there's a way to get them to stop shooting through your land. I would call the local police department and find out if they're breaking any laws (I have no idea if they are) or if there are steps you can take to reign this in. I kind of doubt that target practice in a residential area is entirely, if at all, legal.
I called the sheriff once, since its not in CW incorporated, defaults to laws of fairfield county and state, where they are aloud to fire their weapons as much and whenever they want. The only thing I could possibly get them for is if they're drinking and shooting, which when they have shooting parties - I debate if there is drinking going on. The cops will go out to their property and "check it out" to make sure they are doing it "safely". Since that's also a "requirement" even though I don't think there's legal stipulation on what a safe way/area is to be firing your weapon. However, if I call the cops everytime it happens (or at least often), A) the cops are going to stop listening, B) neighbors will most likely increase gun activity in spite.

Bloom Township/Fairfield has no sound ordinances, or any other laws that would prohibit this. Nearby Violet Township has a sound ordinance that prohibits "excessive gunfire". I've thought about bringing it to the Blooms' town meetings, but to be honest I don't know how any of that legal system works. Bloom Township doesn't seem to pass laws and regulations for its area, like Violet Township does.

It's just so funny, I'm only 5 miles from such a populated city like Columbus, and I'm surrounded by at least 5 different people that are more gun-ho then when I lived 50miles from a populated city in WV, deep in a mountain community where each house probably had no less then 6 guns. This is probably as close as you can get to Columbus and legally shoot whenever you want on your land, and it's like they all moved out here JUST to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
Move and cut your losses. Safety is of the utmost importance.
I agree, and I've already told everyone if nothing changes that is the plan. However I won't be able to move for at least 3 years I figure. House needed a lot of renovation to move in and I'm still in the middle of finishing it. What sucks is this devalues the house greatly, unless I get lucky (or unlucky since it happened to me), and whoever checks out this house on repeated occasions doesn't hear any gunfire. Fairly positive a next door neighbor pumping 100 shotgun rounds right next to your house - will instantly kill that sale. Likewise I would feel bad if I didn't disclose that information to prospecting buyers.

Pretty much just have to keep my son indoors. I can't sit on my porch swing, I can't put in a hot-tub, or sit by the fire pit. Just because the odds are any nice day/night I am - they'll be out there ruining any sense of peace and tranquility I was trying to enjoy.

I guess I'm hoping to find a way to resolve this so I don't have to move, since I will likely loose a great deal of money, and because I actually really like the house.

Last edited by the.root; 03-23-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 AM

93 posts, read 203,380 times
That is just sad. Safety is very important especially having a child. Maybe keep a camera that has camcorder on it, the second it goes off hurry up and video it to get the sound or something. Hopefully you can find something or find the next town meeting and go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus