U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,852 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering taking a position in Columbus, and will be visiting the area next weekend. I would prefer to rent for the first year, at least. We do have our older daughter in school, and youngest will start in two years. We have only lived in southern states, and like the "small town feel", but still with things close by. His job would be close to, Grove City. We are looking for good schools, and safe areas. Also, where his commute is not bad. We never really ever deal with snow, and when it does the area pretty much shuts down So, I'm sure he wants to drive the least amount possible. Any help in direction would be most helpful! Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:38 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,934,334 times
Here is my two cents.

Keep in mind that I just moved here about 6 weeks ago, but do have some family in the area so I am not totally unfamiliar.

Grove City is south of Columbus. Generally there is a lot of rural areas south of the city. Since you have lived in the southern states, and want a small town feel maybe look into Commercial Point or the southern part of Grove City off London-Groveport Road.

For good schools in that area, look at school rankings. Every year the Columbus Dispatch (local paper) does a piece on the schools. Ohio school district rankings | The Columbus Dispatch

Search for *****way County (south of Grove City) and also Franklin County.

There is no need to worry about snow here. The city is well prepared for it. Just take your time driving, and you will be fine. By the time you hit the road, it should be clear and at that point it's like driving in the rain.

The traffic here sucks, so I definitely recommend staying south of the city to be near work.

I am in a similar boat. I am staying with family south of Grove City until my house is ready next month in Powell (north of the city). So I am literally fed up with traffic...I drive through the entire city twice a day.

Good luck!

One thing to keep in mind is that there are a lot higher property taxes here versus the south. You can go to this site (if it's Franklin County) to look up tax info on a house you may be interested in. Franklin County Property Search

I paid $712/year in taxes in the south. Here in Ohio, my taxes are over $5K a year. That's a big pill to swallow. In addition, some townships have additional taxes that you have to pay as well. The Regional Income Tax Agency They base it on your income, so there is something else to consider.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 PM

225 posts, read 374,257 times
My wife and I moved here from Houston, Texas. Our property taxes in Houston were around 10k a year and the traffic was significantly worse in Houston. So depending on what part of the south you are coming from the taxes and traffic here may or may not bother you. As for small town feel, Columbus in general does not feel like a big city and I definitely agree with Brian, the southern part of the city tend to be more small townish.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 11,639 times
If your husband's job is in Grove City, then Grove City is a good bet for you. It's a smaller, suburban-sized city to the southwest of downtown Columbus. It has dramatically changed in the past 10-15 years (more commercialized). Nevertheless, you can also try looking in Madison County, OH and is a smaller, more rural area than Frankin County.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,934,334 times
Grove City has a nice YMCA also. You can get a family membership pretty cheap, and there is no contract. They have an indoor pool, which can give you something to do (besides working out of course...lol) in the winter.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,065,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
My wife and I moved here from Houston, Texas. Our property taxes in Houston were around 10k a year and the traffic was significantly worse in Houston. So depending on what part of the south you are coming from the taxes and traffic here may or may not bother you. As for small town feel, Columbus in general does not feel like a big city and I definitely agree with Brian, the southern part of the city tend to be more small townish.
Ya the southern part of Columbus feels much less developed (even though it is more now), more southern, conservative, and midwestern.

The northern part of the city is developed and feels much more cosmopolitian and like a larger city.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:04 AM

6 posts, read 13,760 times
Amen to moving south of Columbus, especially southeast near Groveport, Canal Winchester, Obetz, or Pickerington. The feel is definitely small town and the terrain is cornfields. I moved from Mt. Vernon a year ago and have not regretted settling here in Groveport. It is a small town amid farming country yet still close to Columbus. I absolutely agree that traffic is horrendous here but unless I have an appointment to the north or NW, I stay out of the city. There are two school districts here that are very, very good - Groveport/Madison and Hamilton Schools; I have grandkids in both. For those thinking of moving to this area you won't miss anything by becoming more rural; its good for the family.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccully View Post
Amen to moving south of Columbus, especially southeast near Groveport, Canal Winchester, Obetz, or Pickerington. The feel is definitely small town and the terrain is cornfields. I moved from Mt. Vernon a year ago and have not regretted settling here in Groveport. It is a small town amid farming country yet still close to Columbus. I absolutely agree that traffic is horrendous here but unless I have an appointment to the north or NW, I stay out of the city. There are two school districts here that are very, very good - Groveport/Madison and Hamilton Schools; I have grandkids in both. For those thinking of moving to this area you won't miss anything by becoming more rural; its good for the family.
Except that continuing to promote these areas will only promote more sprawl, traffic and the paving over of that country feel you seem to value. There are plenty of areas IN Columbus and its inner, developed suburbs that retain a very quiet, safe neighborhood feel. They don't have the cornfields, but neither will you as the years progress.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 15,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccully View Post
I absolutely agree that traffic is horrendous here
I've never heard anyone say Columbus traffic is bad. This is a shock to me. There are literally two areas that may slow down during rush hour (south part of inner loop, 315/270/US-23 interchange)

But I guess horrendous to one person is awesome to another. Then again, I've lived in Boston and Pittsburgh. You want terrible traffic, move there.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 PM

248 posts, read 510,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alConn3 View Post
I've never heard anyone say Columbus traffic is bad. This is a shock to me. There are literally two areas that may slow down during rush hour (south part of inner loop, 315/270/US-23 interchange)

But I guess horrendous to one person is awesome to another. Then again, I've lived in Boston and Pittsburgh. You want terrible traffic, move there.

Pittsburgh traffic is bad only due to its poor and outdated infrastructure. Most of the highways are two lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or