Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,847,618 times

Advertisements

I currently attend OSU and the only piece of Buckeye football paraphernalia I own is the red T-shirt that I got on sale at the bookstore. I don't even go to the games and while OSU football is indeed a big deal here there is a life outside of it here. Believe it or not, my social life is just fine despite my lack of appreciation for football in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 03:45 AM

73 posts, read 184,138 times
It amazes me the things go out of their way to complain about and find fault with, assuming this is a real complaint and not just a troll desperate for some attention.

To the OP, this sounds far more like a YOU problem than anyone else's issue. Don't you have the ability to simply ignore things you don't care for, or does everyone else in whatever city or state you live in have to conform to you? I know as many if not more people in Columbus that don't follow OSU sports at all, and they manage to carry on their lives just fine. I come from a large family (six siblings and countless nieces, nephews, cousins, etc) and I knew of only one other member in my family besides me who followed OSU football at all, and it was my mother before she passed away in her 80s (she had been an OSU fan since the '50s). None of my brothers pay any attention to any team sports that I know of, and I don't follow any pro sports yet manage to tolerate the many Browns, Indians, Bengals, Reds, whatever fans in Central Ohio. Who cares? To each their own. Get some real problems and maybe you won't notice people who happen to have different interests than you.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM

61 posts, read 256,623 times
Some people just want to find something to complain about. I am a big Ohio State fan, and I do go to the Ohio Theater or the Palace. I do not like golf but I do not sit around and cry because others are talking about it. Just live your life and let others live theirs.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 PM

364 posts, read 711,943 times
I do remember interviewing for a particular company in Columbus several years back and quickly noticing the copious amount of OSU apparel and paraphernalia that was in the office; I assume the office had a large quantity of Ohio State grads. The interviewer and I had really good rapport going, so good that he felt the need to interject Ohio State football into the conversation. I think it was probably to see how well I would fit into their office culture. I'm not a native of Columbus or Ohio for that matter, so I honestly didn't and don't care much about OSU sports.

The interview ended pretty quickly after that. I was called back to schedule a second interview however but I politely declined. The Ohio State fans in the office weren't really the main contributing factor, it was the fact that the office appeared to consist ONLY of OSU fans, which was a deterrent. I also felt it wasn't in good taste for the interviewer to ask me what I thought the Buckeyes were going to do for the current year. It gave me the impression that the OSU culture of the office was cult-like.

I don't resent OSU fans however. I realize the university is located in a relatively large city without professional basketball and baseball.....oh yeah, and football.

Old 10-20-2013, 10:40 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
I do remember interviewing for a particular company in Columbus several years back and quickly noticing the copious amount of OSU apparel and paraphernalia that was in the office; I assume the office had a large quantity of Ohio State grads. The interviewer and I had really good rapport going, so good that he felt the need to interject Ohio State football into the conversation. I think it was probably to see how well I would fit into their office culture. I'm not a native of Columbus or Ohio for that matter, so I honestly didn't and don't care much about OSU sports.

The interview ended pretty quickly after that. I was called back to schedule a second interview however but I politely declined. The Ohio State fans in the office weren't really the main contributing factor, it was the fact that the office appeared to consist ONLY of OSU fans, which was a deterrent. I also felt it wasn't in good taste for the interviewer to ask me what I thought the Buckeyes were going to do for the current year. It gave me the impression that the OSU culture of the office was cult-like.

I don't resent OSU fans however. I realize the university is located in a relatively large city without professional basketball and baseball.....oh yeah, and football.
Jesus, it's like you've never been in an interview before. Idle sports chat of a local team has been brought up in almost every interview I've ever had, along with references to the weather, local/national politics and more. I'm beginning to think that it has absolutely nothing to do with OSU or its fans, but rather people are seriously objecting to other people enjoying something they don't find worthwhile. It seems like such a first-world problem to be so negative about something so insignificant as this. I mean, wow. What hobbies do you guys enjoy? If someone else doesn't like those hobbies, do you think it's rational for them to think they're better than you and to crap all over what you enjoy? How does that make any sense?

Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 PM

364 posts, read 711,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Jesus, it's like you've never been in an interview before. Idle sports chat of a local team has been brought up in almost every interview I've ever had, along with references to the weather, local/national politics and more. I'm beginning to think that it has absolutely nothing to do with OSU or its fans, but rather people are seriously objecting to other people enjoying something they don't find worthwhile. It seems like such a first-world problem to be so negative about something so insignificant as this. I mean, wow. What hobbies do you guys enjoy? If someone else doesn't like those hobbies, do you think it's rational for them to think they're better than you and to crap all over what you enjoy? How does that make any sense?
I've participated in many interviews and have conducted a few, and most companies have enough transplants to where it is not automatically assumed that everyone is a die-hard fan of the local teams. And I would really love to know what reputable companies you've interviewed with where they reference local and national politics in interviews. For many employers, that is one first hot-button topics the HR department advise employees to refrain from discussing.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:38 PM

368 posts, read 636,032 times
like i said in an earlier reply,this is not unique to columbus,i was in pittsburgh and frankly the steelers are even more important there than the buckeyes here,and my hometown of denver is much worse than columbus when it comes to worship of the broncos.anyone who would base a decision to accept a job on the amount of sports fans is either misguided or so good at what they do they can pick and choose a job on a whim.i cant compete with someone so good,so i base my job decisions on the company,pay,location etc.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahl_Wrighter View Post
I've participated in many interviews and have conducted a few, and most companies have enough transplants to where it is not automatically assumed that everyone is a die-hard fan of the local teams. And I would really love to know what reputable companies you've interviewed with where they reference local and national politics in interviews. For many employers, that is one first hot-button topics the HR department advise employees to refrain from discussing.
Asking you about OSU is not assuming you're a fan. They're probably not going to be familiar with what you personally like, so they bring up something familiar to them. This is pretty normal human behavior and absolutely normal in an interview process, of which I've personally done many and been through quite a few. Do you also get offended if people ask you about the local weather as if assuming you know about the local climate?

Nationwide, several language companies in Mexico, several major retail companies, etc. I spent 20 minutes talking about baseball at a place here in Mexico, and it's not even a local sport of any popularity. The guy just wanted to talk about the Dodgers. And you know what? It wasn't a big deal. The important interview questions were over and we were having a lighter moment. Who cares. Why take something so insignificant so personally like that?

You didn't really answer the question, either. If other people don't like what you like, do you think a rational response would be to think they're better than you and to put down what you like? Or to suggest you belong to some mindless cult?

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM

87 posts, read 180,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Asking you about OSU is not assuming you're a fan. They're probably not going to be familiar with what you personally like, so they bring up something familiar to them. This is pretty normal human behavior and absolutely normal in an interview process, of which I've personally done many and been through quite a few. Do you also get offended if people ask you about the local weather as if assuming you know about the local climate?

Nationwide, several language companies in Mexico, several major retail companies, etc. I spent 20 minutes talking about baseball at a place here in Mexico, and it's not even a local sport of any popularity. The guy just wanted to talk about the Dodgers. And you know what? It wasn't a big deal. The important interview questions were over and we were having a lighter moment. Who cares. Why take something so insignificant so personally like that?

You didn't really answer the question, either. If other people don't like what you like, do you think a rational response would be to think they're better than you and to put down what you like? Or to suggest you belong to some mindless cult?
This website is like a mindless cult. A circle jerk of a bunch of posters who never been anywhere taking each others words as facts.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM

11 posts, read 10,405 times
I agree with you I like the buckeyes but to me they always play bum colleges like they played Florida A&M bum college team 76-0 they didn't score one point they were bums in my opinion.

If the Buckeyes were in the SEC they wouldn't make it like you said they would be 6-6 those teams down south are real football teams the Buckeyes can't hang with the big dawgs. Teams like the Tennessee Volunteers and Auburn Tigers and Georgia Bull dogs, Alabama Crimson Tide, LSU.

And the Atlantic Coast Conference , with the Florida State Seminoles and Norte Dame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus