Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sftong View Post
3) Sooo much to do in Columbus?! You kidding me right? Check around the forum, there is absolutely one thing everyone agrees -- Freaking Boring Cow Town!
If you are the type who spends weekends at international dance clubs and/or attending big venue concerts and sporting events, you probably will find Columbus boring and would be much happier somewhere like Cleveland or Chicago.

On the other hand, for those raising families or those who enjoy smaller entertainment venues or have other interests, like training for or volunteering at marathons or festivals, there's a lot to do, and it doesn't break the bank, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM

87 posts, read 180,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If you are the type who spends weekends at international dance clubs and/or attending big venue concerts and sporting events, you probably will find Columbus boring and would be much happier somewhere like Cleveland or Chicago.

On the other hand, for those raising families or those who enjoy smaller entertainment venues or have other interests, like training for or volunteering at marathons or festivals, there's a lot to do, and it doesn't break the bank, either.
But Columbus does have big venue concerts and sporting events. Ive never met a person who thought Columbus is boring in all my years of living and working in Columbus. Slow pace maybe but boring nah.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 PM

344 posts, read 816,374 times
We just moved here from the Southeast, and we LOVE it. In fact, we almost moved from SC to Nashville, but my husband had a job change, so we ended up in Columbus. To the OP, I think you will love it here. There are so many parks, trails, great shopping, etc, etc. We have a long list of things we want to do and see and it will take us forever to do it. Some of these posts blow me away- I feel like they are experiencing a different Columbus than I am. Great people, great weather, endless things to do. We also wanted 4 distinct seasons, and less of the oppressive heat and humidity of the southeast, and we definitely wanted more winter. We live on the edge of Gahanna and New Albany, and it is definitely not flat. It isn't mountainous by any means, but it is beautiful nonetheless. Good luck with your move, and don't worry about the naysayers posting on here. We've been here almost 2 months, and it's a great place to live!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
We just moved here from the Southeast, and we LOVE it. In fact, we almost moved from SC to Nashville, but my husband had a job change, so we ended up in Columbus. To the OP, I think you will love it here. There are so many parks, trails, great shopping, etc, etc. We have a long list of things we want to do and see and it will take us forever to do it. Some of these posts blow me away- I feel like they are experiencing a different Columbus than I am. Great people, great weather, endless things to do. We also wanted 4 distinct seasons, and less of the oppressive heat and humidity of the southeast, and we definitely wanted more winter. We live on the edge of Gahanna and New Albany, and it is definitely not flat. It isn't mountainous by any means, but it is beautiful nonetheless. Good luck with your move, and don't worry about the naysayers posting on here. We've been here almost 2 months, and it's a great place to live!
And this is the result you would get in any city so long as you were willing to have an open mind, actually get to know the city and people and be positive about a new place. You're doing it the right way and having a good experience. This weird suggestion by some that the people of Columbus are so much different from the places people move from is pretty telling on what the real problem is. People also forget that many of the people they meet aren't even from Columbus. 11% of the city's population is not even from the US, and that is rapidly increasing, while another 20%+ or so are from somewhere else in the US. So about 1 in every 3 people are not from Columbus, and that ratio is much higher in some areas. To assume that every person they meet, especially those they find rude, are even Columbus natives is a big assumption. The rudest person I ever knew in the city had moved from Seattle. I still don't assume everyone is Seattle is rude.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM

226 posts, read 810,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Lung cancer rates have multitudes of contributing factors, such as smoking rates, pollution, genetics, etc. Ohio's is lower than Tennessee's and in much of the Southeast. CDC - Lung Cancer Rates by State

Rates are also generally on the decline: CDC - Lung Cancer Trends
Oh boy it's you again. Let me see ... We have 2 battles online and offline before, and both times you lose publicly, either promoting extreme luxury pay package of Teacher (using filth data) or cannot substantiate any data/arguements you presented. And obviously you did not learn.

Look at the links you provided. It took me 1 minute to Google and landed on the same CDC cancer rates. But, if you pay attention again, the data presented is only Trend for USA as a country, and there is no Trend data for Ohio state. USA is not the same as Ohio State, I thought you should know. When we mean TREND, we mean Incidence BY YEAR, so you see a trend going Up/Down/Sideways. Again, there is NO TREND data for Ohio Incidence date. Don't give me mortality rate as that is influenced by another layer of medication/procedures.

If you look into CDC site, they said the data is suppressed, for whatever reason for state of Ohio. Hm... makes me wonder .... typically politicians never want to publicize bad news.

The OP specifically stated that they like 4 seasons including winter.
The OP said she want 4 distinct season. Hell, I do not recommend Ohio or Columbus even with 4 seasons, so what am I in conflict with? jbcmh, is Columbus OH the only place in USA with 4 distinct season?! Look yourself in the mirror and answer that question! Or ask your 3rd grader and I am sure you would get a satisfying answer.

Again with the football stuff. What is with you people?
jbcmh, I was a graduate from Ohio State U during the time of National Championship tittle, and a true and through buckeye. However, the difference between you and I is, I maintain an open mind that I understand people who do not worship Buckeyes from where they come from. So what's your qualifications on this Buckeye Football matter to question me?! Did you ever graduate from OSU to begin with?

There are nearly 30,000 acres of MetroParks ... Columbus is not in the Rockies and I would think no one should be expecting mountain views, ... If you can't find something to do in the Columbus area, you're either not trying or you're boring.
Let me see ... 30K acres of Metro Park, with grass and trees mainly. Well, as I said many times jbcmh, if people like you would get orgasm by just walking on grass and touch the trees, then Columbus is the great place for you!! In fact, many places around the world would do it.

By the way, what part in my opening statement that I traveled 12 countries, had lived in East and West of world so far that you cannot comprehend? I am spending lots of money on family to travel world to enjoy history, culture, great food, vacation, and do things! But Columbus has none of these REAL stuff.

you know, there are mountains, and then there are Rockies/Smokies. Some people did not realize Columbus does not have beautiful mountains. So I am giving the OP a heads up. And why are you so agitated about letting people know this particular fact of Columbus, esp given where she come from?

... File this under Some People Are Not Happy Unless It's Free.
Really? I pay everything in life and even did charity (donation/time) but I don't get anything free, except from my parents. So is this why you move to Mexico city for free stuff down there? What, free gangsters, free drug, excessive alcohol and free crimes? LOL!!! Or Tax Free?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 86,257 times
I am a very optimistic person who wants to embrace change and appreciate all your comments. Yet, I will continue to look on the bright side of things because for one lung cancer risks are everywhere, pollution is getting better all around the world, and I choose to appreciate life for what it is now at 37 year old - nothing will ever be perfect and there def is no perfect place, trust me. If you're lookin for that, you may find utter disappointment. ohio will be a welcome change and very close to get to mountains and lakes when I want- within 3-5 hours so that's makes me happy!!! Thanks y'all

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM

38 posts, read 86,257 times
Thank you FitMom 77

Old 10-22-2013, 03:26 PM

146 posts, read 336,119 times
For the OP : There is plenty to do, and if you are interested in having 4 distinct seasons, Columbus (is one of many) that fits your bill. Fall here is probably my favorite and has several weeks of great 50/60 degree sunny days. The winter is mild by most standards, but usually has one or two 6" + snows with several days of light flurries. I have spent plenty of St. Patrick day festivals in shorts while enjoying 70 degrees and sun. For me summer can get pretty hot, but I live in an urban area of Columbus that doesn't offer much relief. You don't have to drive too far outside of the city to find areas that do cool off at night during those hot summer spells.

As far as activities, I'll repost this from something I posted in an earlier thread "There are some great outdoor activity areas. As far as MTB, ( Spokejunkies:Mountain Biking the World and Beyond) there is some great single track all within an hour of Columbus, most of it is close enough that you can access it after work from downtown without a problem. More hiking to the South of Columbus, parks like Tar Hollow, Hocking Hills, John Bryan, Zaleski, ect are easily accessibly with full day or multi day overnight trails. Mohican to the North is great too. The city has several parks with trails and paths that are well maintained and great for family walks, but calling them hiking might be a stretch. Recreational boating is available at Delaware Reservoir and Alum Creek. If you are interested in water skiing, rowing, and wakeboarding, Griggs Reservoir has alot of activity. Major mall shopping is available at Easton and Polaris with plenty of Boutique shopping in the short north and scattered around some other urban neighborhoods. There are also tons of activities for kids, great sports skills camps, theater, music, ect. Several music venues includeing the LC, Newport, Crew Stadium, the Bluestone, ect. Blue Jackets Hockey, Crew Soccer, Clippers Baseball, Ohio Machine Lacrosse, and Ohio State Athletics.

Good luck with your relocation, I think you will find it to be rewarding.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 PM

22 posts, read 50,678 times
We also are moving from Nashville to Columbus! We are Originally from Cleveland. I Do LOVE Nashville ! My allergies are worse in Tn then Oh! Ohio is not as mountain / hill side appeal but Oh has plenty of metro parks that are beautiful ! No idea where we are going to live yet . We need to look into cities/suburb and that are close to downtown but great schools . We are in Williamson county schools so amiebeth1229 you know schools are so important . However , so tired of the $$$$. We are looking at friendly down to earth families with its own downtown . Columbus downton will not be downtown Nashville but you can always visit. Columbus downtown will offer a a vibe but just not a tourist vibe. Ohio is not a Southern feel but people are quite nice and relaxed . They just go about it a different way. From one Nashville to another good luck !

Last edited by BL567; 10-22-2013 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMom77 View Post
Agree with FitMom! I grew up in Alabama and WV and moved here 3 years ago. I'm very outdoorsy and really thought I would miss the mountains and all the beautiful hiking in WV.

I soon discovered that it's so much easier to hike where it's flat! Ha!

I love, love all the biking trails and how you can get anywhere in my little suburb on a walking or biking trail. Love the Metroparks. I've met so many great people that are positive and really love to get out there and enjoy what Cbus has to offer.

I also enjoy downtown and the variety of little shops and great restaurants. I like the way Columbus is often described - a small big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus