U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 18,717 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are relocating to Columbus, Ohio and want to stay on the east side for my husband's commute to Westerville. Ideally, we would like an area where we can buy 2 -5 acres and be in the country, but yet be close enough to shopping and restaurants. House prices between 250K - 325K, but not high taxes. Schools are not a big issue as both of our children are in college now. Have been considering Baltimore, Hebron, Pataskala, Pickerington, Johnstown, Alexandria but don't know much about any of these areas. Mount Vernon and Lancaster seem to have a lot of nice houses in that price range, but would be a longer drive than we would like. I don't want to be too far out, but close enough to civilization and shopping. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM

259 posts, read 353,020 times
If you are commuting to Westerville, I would look closely at Galena, Sunbury and the rural areas around there. It will be a short commute but you can still get a good chunk of land there and you will be close to the north side of Columbus, which has a lot of restaurants, activities and shopping.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 PM

797 posts, read 2,095,286 times
Mount Vernon is not a bad area. I like Gambier as well, but they're a long ways out there. Johnstown would be a better option for you to get the land and country setting close to the shopping and whatnot. I think it best fits most of your criteria. Granville might be an option worth looking into as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 18,717 times
Thank you. Any thoughts about Ostrander?

Also, Any idea about Blacklick and Carroll, in addition to Ostrander?? Are all of these safe locations near enough retail without being too congested? Thank You!!

Last edited by Yac; 03-28-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 9,827 times
I'm looking in same area now. A local friend tells me that Johnstown has a huge chicken farm that smells far and wide all summer long.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:13 AM

107 posts, read 185,235 times
Carroll and Baltimore are very small towns. Neither town has much of anything that you would need - grocery store, restaurants, entertainment, etc. They do have good schools, although Bloom-Carroll has poor buildings in great need of replacement.

I have lived in Pickerington since 2006. My husband and I enjoy living here. It has everything that we need - Kroger and Giant Eagle grocery stores, CVS/Walgreens, plenty of doctors, dentists, eye doctors, Kohl's, movie theater, bowling alley, a new disc golf course, lots of restaurants, great school system, community events. Currently, a new medical center is being built that is supposed to eventually have a hospital facility.

Pickerington is close enough to Columbus enjoy everything they have to offer, but far enough away to be safe and quiet. Pickerington is right on I-70 and minutes away from I-270. It takes us about 15 minutes to get to downtown Columbus once we drive up to the I-70. Hill Road is the main road through town. Most of what you would be looking for is on Hill Road.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:20 AM

166 posts, read 281,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily55 View Post
Carroll and Baltimore are very small towns. Neither town has much of anything that you would need - grocery store, restaurants, entertainment, etc. They do have good schools, although Bloom-Carroll has poor buildings in great need of replacement.

I have lived in Pickerington since 2006. My husband and I enjoy living here. It has everything that we need - Kroger and Giant Eagle grocery stores, CVS/Walgreens, plenty of doctors, dentists, eye doctors, Kohl's, movie theater, bowling alley, a new disc golf course, lots of restaurants, great school system, community events. Currently, a new medical center is being built that is supposed to eventually have a hospital facility.

Pickerington is close enough to Columbus enjoy everything they have to offer, but far enough away to be safe and quiet. Pickerington is right on I-70 and minutes away from I-270. It takes us about 15 minutes to get to downtown Columbus once we drive up to the I-70. Hill Road is the main road through town. Most of what you would be looking for is on Hill Road.
OP said their kids are out of school. Also, 2-5 acres with house under $325k is hard to find in Pickerington. Seems you didn't read the post and just wanted to trumpet Pickerington -- which is a fine choice if OP can find what they need within their budget, but certainly not the only choice.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:56 AM

107 posts, read 185,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfoshizzle View Post
OP said their kids are out of school. Also, 2-5 acres with house under $325k is hard to find in Pickerington. Seems you didn't read the post and just wanted to trumpet Pickerington -- which is a fine choice if OP can find what they need within their budget, but certainly not the only choice.

Schools DO MATTER to any resident - whether you have children enrolled or not!
Bloom-Carroll is working hard to pass a levy to build new schools. A tax levy would impact ALL residents. Pickerington has great schools - and we pay to have them. That impacts All residents.

It would be possible for the OP to find a home with land in their budget in the Pickerington area.

And, I never said that Pickerington is the "only" choice.

Geez! I was just trying to be helpful.
Why don't you let the OP decide what information is helpful???!!!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

166 posts, read 281,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily55 View Post
Schools DO MATTER to any resident - whether you have children enrolled or not!
Bloom-Carroll is working hard to pass a levy to build new schools. A tax levy would impact ALL residents. Pickerington has great schools - and we pay to have them. That impacts All residents.

It would be possible for the OP to find a home with land in their budget in the Pickerington area.

And, I never said that Pickerington is the "only" choice.

Geez! I was just trying to be helpful.
Why don't you let the OP decide what information is helpful???!!!
I apologize. I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I just see a lot of people who comment on these boards with the sole purpose of promoting their hometown. You are obviously not one of those people.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:33 AM

220 posts, read 280,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjloap View Post
Hello,
We are relocating to Columbus, Ohio and want to stay on the east side for my husband's commute to Westerville..... Have been considering Baltimore, Hebron, Pataskala, Pickerington, Johnstown, Alexandria but don't know much about any of these areas. Thanks!
Of the places you mention here, I've only been to Pickerington and Pataskala. And I'm friends with people who live in Pickerington, both in subdivisions. They really like it for all the reasons Lily55 mentions. Its a nice suburb. I'm sure there are areas around it that would feel more country. Pataskala is much smaller, and the countryside is so enchanting with its rolling hills. Lots of horses & farms. The drive in miles to Westerville is about the same, but from Pataskala, the traffic wouldn't be as bad at rush hour. I really like Pataskala and would move there myself if I could. However, for shopping, you'd have fewer options than in Pickerington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus