Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:11 PM

212 posts, read 199,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
No kids yet. Trying to wait until we are both in the right position to raise them. We are in our late 20s. My wife has a HS diploma and some college. I have a BA degree. Was a teacher here in NJ, but open to other things. I have been working in a warehouse making 25,000 per year since they cut school budget here 4 years ago, and don't miss it. I am sure 25,000 per year goes a lot further in OH than NJ, but also trying to find a less competitive job market, where it is easy to change careers. I also saw that rent for nice apartments in Columbus are HALF of what they are here in NJ (by Rutgers University).
If you wouldn't mind staying in the warehouse industry, there are thousands of jobs here. You can easily make $25k doing it, and that will go a lot further here. The main areas for warehouse work is Groveport (you could pretty easily commute from the near-downtown "hip" areas), New Albany and West Columbus. There are some in further out places as well.

You could easily get one of these jobs to get a footing here, then look for the child advocacy job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,024 times
^ At this point in your family's blue-collar employment search, I recommend sticking with Cbus.

As already mentioned, numerous warehouse jobs (forklift experience extremely helpful) are available in either Grove City or Groveport, but, then again, will either of these locations pay you that "25 K/yr." you were making in NJ? Maybe/ maybe not, but realize that when you survey your employment surroundings, you might question if you've ever left NJ. (After all, like some distant Midwestern Manhattan, a beguiling Cbus skyline will undoubtedly beckon you, but you'll soon realize where you actually are.)

Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,024,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
^ At this point in your family's blue-collar employment search, I recommend sticking with Cbus.

As already mentioned, numerous warehouse jobs (forklift experience extremely helpful) are available in either Grove City or Groveport, but, then again, will either of these locations pay you that "25 K/yr." you were making in NJ? Maybe/ maybe not, but realize that when you survey your employment surroundings, you might question if you've ever left NJ. (After all, like some distant Midwestern Manhattan, a beguiling Cbus skyline will undoubtedly beckon you, but you'll soon realize where you actually are.)
Yeah. I wonder if those types of jobs promote from within. If I do stick to the industry I am currently in, that would be the make or break deal, whether or not there will be growth potential and if the income will be more in line with the cost of living in the area, because in NJ it is not at all. I rarely go into Manhattan anymore as it is, it is too expensive just to get in there nowadays and once you are there, everything is more expensive than it is elsewhere. More often do we just go out in downtown New Brunswick which is a mile away. A typical college town mind you, with Rutgers University's main campus. And it is always fun and I am always happy going there. Does Downtown Columbus offer similar with Ohio State being in town?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 AM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
OSU is a large university, and offers that "big campus" feel, with many restaurants, bars etc catering to students (which can be good or bad). It does mesh with being in a larger city, but to get that more quaint "college town" feel you have to go at least an hour or two away to Athens, Yellow Springs, Oberlin, etc (all which are very satisfying day trips).

Old 04-05-2014, 09:20 PM

1 posts, read 612 times
It sounds like we lived in the same area - we lived in Somerset. We moved last summer to Pickerington and we really love it here. We're older than you (50's) and at a different stage of life so I guess it's probably different for us. My husband works at an IT job for the gov't. We're outside of Columbus but close enough to go there anytime. I thought living in NJ had prepared me for driving, but I hate the roads around here - so confusing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus