Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:12 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,950,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
Seems like your biggest concern is career development.

Everybody knows that Seattle beats Columbus hands down in terms of the tech scene, but Columbus still has something to offer. As far as I know, there are several tech start-ups in Columbus (e.g., Manta). IBM also has an office in Columbus but I think it's for analytics. I'm sure there are much more.

If you background is in corporate IT department, then you would have much more choices. Just go to a job search website and check out the job listings in Columbus to get an idea.

In terms of cost of living, check out Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney
Large Cities Information Jobs - 2014 Best Cities Rankings | Newgeography.com

Columbus at #8, Seattle at #10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,369,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Probably can find any link to fit your agenda
CIO.com - Geek America: The Top 10 U.S. Cities for Technology Jobs - 9. Seattle, Wash.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkotk...ost-tech-jobs/

Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,856,746 times
Pittsburgh ranks up there with Seattle in overcast skies. I don't know how you guys do it. This winter about drove me nuts.

The weather and scenery in Columbus - It is so open and green. I tell you what...it is great to see the sun. Sometimes a big sky and sun can wins hands down. Other perks to Columbus - easy to get around, low cost of living, and jobs. Like others have said, if you want a place to raise a family, then you can't go wrong with Columbus.

If you want water, then move to a Cleveland suburb.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 AM

96 posts, read 124,144 times
Quote:
Geez...do you really believe what you are saying? Amazon, MSFT, Expedia, Zillow are all based in Seattle area. Google and Facebook both have office in Seattle. There is a much more vibrant start-up scene over there. Are you gonna tell me Columbus beats NYC next time?

Old 06-01-2014, 01:03 PM

212 posts, read 195,971 times
Quote:
Geez...do you really believe what you are saying? Amazon, MSFT, Expedia, Zillow are all based in Seattle area. Google and Facebook both have office in Seattle. There is a much more vibrant start-up scene over there. Are you gonna tell me Columbus beats NYC next time?
Large companies aren't the only ones employing techies. Also, some lists may take into account population i.e. their list is based on per capita tech jobs.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
It's not my link, and I didn't make the ranking. The methodology is based on the following: 2002-2013 tech job growth, 2008-2013 tech job growth, tech job growth the past two years, as well as recent momentum. The numbers weren't simply pulled from thin air. So just because you say something is true just based on perception, which is clearly what you're doing, doesn't make it true.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
Large companies aren't the only ones employing techies. Also, some lists may take into account population i.e. their list is based on per capita tech jobs.
Large companies are not the only ones but Columbus doesn't have more SMB tech companies either. If you wanna compare per capita jobs, why don't we look at the types of tech jobs too? How do you compare system administrator with software engineer?

Last edited by kareno999; 06-01-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It's not my link, and I didn't make the ranking. The methodology is based on the following: 2002-2013 tech job growth, 2008-2013 tech job growth, tech job growth the past two years, as well as recent momentum. The numbers weren't simply pulled from thin air. So just because you say something is true just based on perception, which is clearly what you're doing, doesn't make it true.
Even if the numbers are not pulled from thin air, I can always come up with a creative way to calculate an index to fit my agenda. Columbus' rank jumped 21 places from 2013 to 2014. Has the city really experienced such a dramatic improvement within one year? I doubt it. It's more likely due to the poor consistency of their ranking methodology. Plus, what conclusions can you draw from growth rate? Afghanistan had a GDP growth of 14.4% in 2012 while it was only 2.8% for the US. Columbus is growing for sure, but it will be decades before it can claim to beat Seattle in the tech world.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Even if the numbers are not pulled from thin air, I can always come up with a creative way to calculate an index to fit my agenda. Columbus' rank jumped 21 places from 2013 to 2014. Has the city really experienced such a dramatic improvement within one year? I doubt it. It's more likely due to the poor consistency of their ranking methodology. Plus, what conclusions can you draw from growth rate? Afghanistan had a GDP growth of 14.4% in 2012 while it was only 2.8% for the US. Columbus is growing for sure, but it will be decades before it can claim to beat Seattle in the tech world.
I know the IBM "Big Data" center opened in the last year, but I'm not exactly in the middle of the tech world so I don't have any idea. The only reason I posted that link is because I literally just saw it a few days ago and thought of it when I saw your post. The only agenda in this case is showing that the city is not that bad for tech jobs, and does seem to compete with cities that are better known for it, at least by growth. By total jobs currently would be a different story probably, and you'd have to compare that total to the overall workforce.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 5,183,663 times
OP...in my mind, w/ you and you're wife's backgrounds and desire to be in an area that fits your career goals and development, I would definitely stay in Seattle...Columbus is not going to beat Seattle in the tech/software development industry...the only place that will beat Seattle is Silicon Valley but that's even more expensive than your area and they have higher taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus