Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 17,971 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I am going to be moving into the Columbus area around the first of January and am researching potential apartment options. Unfortunately this was thrown on my lap with relatively short notice, but I should be able to pick up and move out relatively rapidly.

I am hoping to get some insight on potential areas or even specific properties/complexes to look into.

About Me

23 years old, male. From the Northeast, went to a large Midwest university, so I am familiar with the 'big school' atmosphere. I will be working at the Port Columbus Airport (CMH), but it seems I will be within ~30minutes driving distance regardless of where in the city I live, so that shouldn't be a major concern (correct me if thats wrong).

Looking for

1 Bed room (maybe studio, never lived in one before...not sure how tolerable it would be) Apartment in the $400-$800 range. $600ish would be ideal, but willing to pay slightly more if it makes a large difference in my location or condition. After factoring utility costs, I absolutely can not go above $1000 monthly, and $800 utilities included is more realistic.

Looking for something in a 'younger' more active part of town (bars, restaurants, etc.) That being said I am not interested in doing the crazy, undergrad type living associated with large schools. I will, at times, have very early start times at work (waking up 4am) and need to be able to get some rest when needed. Occasional Fri/Sat night noise is alright, but I can't have something in perma-chaos. I travel frequently, so need something in a somewhat safe part of town where I won't have to worry about break ins or anything like that.

From my limited ability to search these things online I have heard Grandview, Arena District, and Victorian village would be good places to look. Grandvew seems to have a few larger complexes...only thing in Arena District I saw was Arena Crossing, which is on the higher end of what I can afford, and they haven't responded to my emails...not sure whats available in the Victorian Village area. I'm don't know if I would be better off looking at larger complexes, or smaller independent properties. It seems every larger apartment complex with reviews comes with 75% complaints. I expect thats probably because people more often complain than praise, but it's still a little discouraging when looking at a place to live.

Any other insights on areas to live? Or even better, specific properties to look into? Craigslist has a ton...but I don't know where to start, and don't know how reputable some of the advertisers are.

Any tips would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 02:16 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,623 times
Hi Magua, and welcome to Columbus!

For your situation, Grandview might be perfect. It's an older neighborhood: streets lined w/mature trees, very walkable, buildings w/lots of character and historic feel. Grandview Ave. and 5th Avenue are eclectic commercial districts with unique eateries, stores & coffeehouses. The area is very popular with 20/30somethings. You also have pretty quick access to I-670, which takes you straight across town to CMH. In Grandview, the Heritage Apartments are pretty popular...among many others. Grandview also has a large number of smaller buildings with 6-8 units. They're everywhere! These might be well worth checking out. I call them "brownstones" but I'm sure, being from the Northeast, you know what a real brownstone is...

Another area to consider would be NW Columbus, along the axes of Bethel Rd. and Sawmill Rd. This area is much more spread out & suburban in feel, yet it also has a large concentration of Gen-X and Gen-Y professionals living there. There are lots of amenities in the area; you won't need to go far for restaurants, retail, bars, the bank, the gym, etc. The area is also very safe. A couple very popular complexes in this neighborhood are Fox & Hounds, and Governors Square—right across from each other.

Also in NW Cols. is a large place called Olentangy Commons. Based on what you wrote above, I'd suggest avoiding this one. It's kindof got a reputation for that "crazy, undergrad type living" from OSU. When I personally went to check it out once, it felt like I'd just stepped into an MTV beach party

Arena District and Victorian Village, while nice, are awfully expensive. Places in your stated price may exist there, but are quite rare.

Best of luck in your upcoming move & professional ventures!
Lanc

Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 AM

33 posts, read 250,125 times
I am moving to Columbus in that same week from Portland, Maine. it should be interesting. People down here don't think positively of Columbus. What is a "Sail rabbit" by the way?

Old 12-18-2007, 05:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
Quote:
People down here don't think positively of Columbus.

That's sad to know, do you mean people from where your from do not think well of Columbus? Columbus is a great place and much more happening than Portland, Maine. THere's lots to do here and the city is progressive, young and has a lot to do if you get involved and keep up on what's going on.

To respond to the original poster. I second all the areas that you mentioned. Even though its further from OSU and on the other side of downtown (south side) i also recommend that you look into Merion Village and German Village.

Rentals in German village are along the lines of the Victorian Village price range (a little higher.) However, if you really look you can find some steals. I know a friend who lives in the short north/victorian village right on High St. in a 400 month studio. It's a great location. Really you have to look through ads, craigslist is okay, just as long as you follow up by looking at the actual place. Columbus Alive has some listings too. They have a website just google it.

Also, there are some "complex" type places around downtown. Grandview as mentioned has some. But if you want to be in the short north there's a lot of complexes behind Giant Eagle in Victorian Village. They are on Thurber Dr. If you go to Thurber Dr. you will literally see 6-7 complexes that have rents more in your place range and are near downtown, safe, in walking distance to a grocery store and right near all the columbus bar/nightlife. The short north/high st. area is the most "single" friendly type place in Columbus.

Last edited by streetcreed; 12-18-2007 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
What is a "Sail rabbit" by the way?
Hmm...I've lived here 12 years, and I've never heard of a "Sail rabbit"!

If it's a big Central Ohio thing, I must not be runnin' with the right people...

Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela
What is a "Sail rabbit" by the way?
Ya this Kalela obviously is takling about Columbus, Georgia or something.

Don't worry Kalela!

We can help here and get her up to speed on the only Columbus that matters in the world!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM

2 posts, read 17,971 times
Thanks for all the responses. I should have a chance to drive around sometime next week and get an idea what I am looking at. Tough to get an idea by reading online and looking at GoogleMaps.

I seem to be focusing on 'box' of streets north of I670, East of 315, West of High, and South of 5th Ave. Not entirely sure why...is that the area generally considered Short North/Victorian Village? With the area West of 315 being more 'Grandview' ?

I wouldn't say North-Easterners have anything bad to say about Columbus, its just that no one knows anything about it. I have to say I honestly didn't know a thing about the city (other than OSU) until after I found out I was moving there for my job. I was shocked when I learned Columbus has more people in it than Boston (I know that mostly has to do with the fact that Boston itself is a relatively small part of the greater Boston metro area...but still, surprising)

Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magua View Post
I seem to be focusing on 'box' of streets north of I670, East of 315, West of High, and South of 5th Ave. Not entirely sure why...is that the area generally considered Short North/Victorian Village? With the area West of 315 being more 'Grandview' ?
Yep! You got it.

Unless I'm mistaken (in which case Streetcreed will kindly correct me) the Short North refers more specifically to the commercial area along High Street—that string of businesses between "The Cap" over 670 up to about 5th Ave.

Victorian Village describes the residential area itself, which lies to the west of High, over to 315/the Olentangy River.

Safe travels next week! Hope you'll enjoy your stay
Lanc

Old 12-20-2007, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magua
That is the area to be looking. I would also add that you can look east of High too but west of 4th ave. That area is known as Italian Village. There is an apartment development in Italian Village (just a block off High st.) called New Village Place. There are lot of decently priced new build townhomes in New Village place.

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken (in which case Streetcreed will kindly correct me) the Short North refers more specifically to the commercial area along High Street—that string of businesses between "The Cap" over 670 up to about 5th Ave.

Victorian Village describes the residential area itself, which lies to the west of High, over to 315/the Olentangy River.
Yes Lancaster You are indeed correct! Victorian Village is west of high, Italian Village to the east and the short north in the middle (the retail strip)

Old 12-20-2007, 02:49 PM

226 posts, read 810,561 times
Why no one suggested Gahanna? It is close to airport. I also think there are some apartments/condos along Morse road, east of I-270, and before Hamilton road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus