Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:37 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
We've arrived in Mansfield yesterday. We plan on heading to Columbus tomorrow.

We'll see... I've said before that after 26 years, I'm tired of Baltimore. Columbus is just the first stop.
Umm Gallery Hop goes into high gear tomorrow: the Short North galleries all open and the sidewalks and High St are packed with traffic (cars on the street and feet on the sidewalks) since this is a once a month deal on the 1st Saturday of every month between Goodale and 5th on High St. I suggest reversing your itinerary unless you do want to hit up Gallery Hop because I've walked faster than the cars can go (that's why I walked or biked it when I lived there) and every bar and restaurant is at max capacity: galleries and coffee shops are easier in which to find a spot if you do check it out.

If you want to avoid Gallery Hop (I'm guessing you do) and you have more than one day German Village just south of Downtown is worth a detour: the Book Loft is a bookstore converted from a mansion and Schiller Park is very nice (a quick look with streetview will show if it's appealing enough or not). Otherwise, just make a beeline for Downtown. Aside from Gay St and that block of 4th I'd check out Town and Franklin just east of Washington Ave on the SE corner of Downtown: plenty of affordable apartments and green tree lined streets: both a rarity Downtown.

If it looks like a contender for living quarters you might as well cross the bridge just a block over into Olde Towne East and check out Oak St at Parsons and further east (17th or 18th). This is where the closest coffeeshops, bar, and restaurants will be even though you'd be living Downtown (it's what I ended up doing when I live there). I have friends who lived just east of Parsons on Franklin in OTE within walking distance of everything there and you can find a nice old home that's been divided into apartments for a duplex or quadplex that shouldn't be too hard on the wallet. It wouldn't take long at all to loop Parsons-Oak-18th-Franklin in a car back to Parsons to see if there's anyplace you want to check out then go back to Downtown to check out North Market (mainly restaurant vendors and a few groceries) before pressing on northward to Old North & Clintonville along High St. I might have forgotten to mention that just as Summit holds worthy destinations in Old North likewise Clintonville has some hidden on Indianola which also parallels High St to make it easy: Studio 35 is an independent movie theater where cult flicks play (they do the Rocky Horror picture show monthly, also on the 1st Sat of each month and one time I shook hands with the stars of Troll 2). They sell beer (they do craft beer events) and you can order pizza comes from next door. From there, you can drive up past Como and take a left on Walhalla: drive slowly, as it's a shared road with cyclists, joggers, rollerbladers,dog walkers, etc, which winds through a nestled ravine and then takes you right back onto High St where Pattycake Bakery is. Biking down Walhalla is a blast: but careful going down here at night since there's like barely any lighting.Clintonville also has the highest number of record stores per capita for anywhere in Columbus.

Between Clintonville and Old North is the Glen Echo ravine: can't drive down this one, you have to park and access it on the east side of Indianola. Then on the south end of Old North you have Iuka Ravine, also accessible from Indianola by foot. It has a brick road you can drive down, but it's only one way so you'd have to start on N 4th and be sure to take the 1st left to continue all the way to Indianola otherwise you'll be getting off shortly at Summit. I'd be sure to check these out: the ravines are definitely a unique and unsung amenity that no one else talks about: there are a couple more in North Clintonville but that area is all residential with homeowners and little else. But if you want more there's the one along Beechwold which is furthest north but it's tiny, further south and more worthwhile is the Overbrook Ravine which is easy to follow on Google Maps and it's just a block south on High from Northstar Cafe and Laughing Ogre Comics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 01:22 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Twist it anyway you want with all your stats. Perception is reality oh great guardian angel of cbus. And the perception of many is Columbus is bland and very suburban looking/feeling compared to other cities visited. Your constant barrage of facts or stats doesn't change what people see when they visit your ex fair city.
At least it isn't falling apart at the seams like Cleveland where, when downtown, so long as you don't turn your back and see the bombed out landscape and keep your eyes on the pretty buildings by the lake, you won't notice what a dump the city really is.

*ducks*

Quote:
Biking down Walhalla is a blast: but careful going down here at night since there's like barely any lighting.
I used to live a block from Walhalla and for my money, it's the prettiest ravine in Columbus. It's not a park though, so cars do go through and there are a few houses. I really hope it doesn't develop anymore than it already is.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:05 AM

62 posts, read 80,435 times
Thanks for telling me about that Gallery Hop... After a quick google search, it looks similar to Baltimore's Artscape; therefore, it's not really my thing.

My mom's friend lives right off I-71, so it looks like we'll skip past it (hopefully). She'll show us around from there.

We're heading there this morning.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Let us know how it goes: I'd be interested to hear your take on these neighborhoods in comparison to the closest versions in Baltimore.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
At least it isn't falling apart at the seams like Cleveland where, when downtown, so long as you don't turn your back and see the bombed out landscape and keep your eyes on the pretty buildings by the lake, you won't notice what a dump the city really is.

*ducks*

I used to live a block from Walhalla and for my money, it's the prettiest ravine in Columbus. It's not a park though, so cars do go through and there are a few houses. I really hope it doesn't develop anymore than it already is.
Ignorant.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:34 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:

*ducks*

And yet the RNC and DNC are willing to consider Cleveland as a host city in 2016; there must be something decent about Cleveland with its ''seams'' falling apart. COL is nice, I guess, if you like chain restaurants and retail in ''malls'' in the otherwise sterile landscape of central Ohio aka generic and bland. By the way, I don't live in Cleveland.

Last edited by Kamms; 07-05-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 06:51 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:

*ducks*
This is no more a fair and true statement than calling Columbus a suburban wasteland.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:54 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
And yet the RNC and DNC are willing to consider Cleveland as a host city in 2016; there must be something decent about Cleveland with its ''seams'' falling apart. COL is nice, I guess, if you like chain restaurants and retail in ''malls'' in the otherwise sterile landscape of central Ohio aka generic and bland. By the way, I don't live in Cleveland.
Can you guys keep the bs stereotypes, of any of the cities, to yourselves for even one thread? Seriously, why are so many threatened by even a bit of success that's not happening where they live?

The truth is that Columbus is far less suburban and has more decent amenities than what is being said here, and Cleveland has a lot of positive momentum and has plenty of good things going for it at this time. Enough with this crap already.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 AM

62 posts, read 80,435 times
Well, we went to Columbus yesterday. My mom's school friend showed us around.

(To me at least) It was definitely more laid back than Baltimore. It may have been because it was a Saturday in July, but it didn't seem as congested as Baltimore (downtown Baltimore is seemingly always heavy with traffic). There are a few aggressive drivers, but not as many as back home. It may be because of police presence. Seriously, on the way there and back, about 60 mile stretch of I-71, there were about 5 people pulled over. Why can't we have this in Maryland?

I enjoyed the trip. I'm packing right now, so I'll tell you all a little more when I get back to Baltimore.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
Seriously, on the way there and back, about 60 mile stretch of I-71, there were about 5 people pulled over. Why can't we have this in Maryland?

I enjoyed the trip. I'm packing right now, so I'll tell you all a little more when I get back to Baltimore.
Good to know you enjoyed the trip. Don't discount other areas (like NC) either. In other words, just don't jump into the first nice place you see. And Columbus is nice and I think it offers much of what you are looking for.

Yeah, OSP and local law enforcement were out in as much force as I've seen in years because of the holiday weekend. On my travels on local interstates, I probably saw a patrol car every 5 miles, sometimes more. Each time I was out. Over much of the last week.

That's a huge uptick in enforcement. But you are right, Ohio has a lot of police presence on highways, more so than I feel in MD. It makes for plenty of speed traps. But one nice thing is Ohio, to my knowledge, requires all patrol cars (except dets. and feds and some special enforcement groups) to have some markings on them. While for years this meant light bars on top of the cars, which makes them easier to spot, today some are moving towards having lights inside the windshield and grill. But they still have their markings on the side.

In case you ever go, be aware of Indiana. You think we have a ton of enforcement, they always seem to have more, especially Indy. And they allow unmarked's. Which seems to be the only one's I ever see. But enough of regional police enforcement. Hope you enjoyed your visit and I hope that no matter where you go you find what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus