Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 24,144 times

Advertisements

Columbus City School dist is spread over all over the franklin county, I mean, some parts of Hilliard, Dublin, Polaris area are under Columbus City Schools. Does anybody have idea how to findout a sub-division is under which school dist? Any on-line site which can be queried would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,657,260 times
Here is a map of the columbus city school district boundaries. Notice the areas of yellow far out from the main city and beyond suburbs. Those are the areas, "pockets", that this poster is living in.

Columbus school district is large and has some schools that are better than others. If you do end up living in the district you should go to their site to find out about the individual schools and how to contact the district.

If your not within the district boundaries than your, most likely, in a suburban school district boundary or possibly township if your that far out into rural Ohio.

http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us

Old 12-18-2007, 05:23 PM

Thank you Streetcreed.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:07 PM

121 posts, read 542,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Here is a map of the columbus city school district boundaries. Notice the areas of yellow far out from the main city and beyond suburbs. Those are the areas, "pockets", that this poster is living in.

Columbus school district is large and has some schools that are better than others. If you do end up living in the district you should go to their site to find out about the individual schools and how to contact the district.

If your not within the district boundaries than your, most likely, in a suburban school district boundary or possibly township if your that far out into rural Ohio.

http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us
Also from what I was told was that Columbus school district is an open enrollment which I understand means that you can send your child to any school in that district. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Also from what I was told was that Columbus school district is an open enrollment which I understand means that you can send your child to any school in that district. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Yes you are correct.
If you are in the Columbus District you can enroll your child in any of the districts schools if there is room. And only the most sought after have waiting lists (Columbus Alternative High School, Fort Hays Performance High School, Metro High School)

It is a very expensive policy because then the district, is by law, required to bus children of any age in the district boundaries even if they use private/charter schools.

The policy has been key in keeping sprawl down. Also, as some areas of the district exist out almost as their own island they need open enrollment as there have been no new schools built in these areas of Columbus Schools (far out beyond the central city.)

The logistics of transporting children around the huge Columbus district is very complicated. It has, also, become very expensive with gas prices going up. There has been talk of asking for parents to provide transportation for high school students who attend a different school than their own, but the district is seeking a new/higher levy soon and those rumors have quieted since.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM

226 posts, read 807,718 times
vb,
"how to findout a sub-division is under which school dist?"

Well, I would suggest you use an online realtor website to figure that out. Sometimes, a subdivision could have 2 seperate schools districts!!

For example, go here http://her.realliving.com/Search/Default.aspx?Type=A
Type in the desired neighborhood name and check 'single family', and go.

The advance search could probably help you narrowing down the list of properties.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Thank you Sftong.

I got another site, it is Franklin county Auditor site, wherein you have to provide the house # and partial street address (for e.g., summerwood dr, give only 'summerwood'). It gives all kinds of info. It is a very useful and reliable. Rather than me telling you, you yourself can experience.

http://209.51.193.83/s_addr5.shtm

Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you Sftong.

I got another site, it is Franklin county Auditor site, wherein you have to provide the house # and partial street address (for e.g., summerwood dr, give only 'summerwood'). It gives all kinds of info. It is a very useful and reliable. Rather than me telling you, you yourself can experience.
I second that. The Franklin County auditor's website is nearly a past time of mine.

Seriously it is a great place to see everything you would ever want to know about a property. It has photos, tells the school district, and every other detail.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:19 PM

226 posts, read 807,718 times
Yes, each auditor web site has the property info, but I think they do not have the "community" name. So in this case, you could find out a particular property detail info, but then you would not know which community or neighborhood that property is in.

Using the realtor web site could easily let you see the whole neighborhood, and clicking any property will reveal the school district. Just be careful in some communities they are splitted into 2 seperate districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus