Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 3,949 times

Advertisements

]Hello Folks

So, as the title suggest, my family and I will be moving toColumbus from Charlotte, NC in the summer of 2015. I have lived in Charlottesince 2007, and originally I am from Cleveland. So, I am not really up to dateon how it is living in the Columbus area, although I have heard from a coupleof co-workers down here who are from Columbus that it is a great place to live.And I do miss Ohio itself, I love my home state and moving to Columbus would beideal since, from what I hear anyways, it is similar to what I have come tolove in Charlotte.

I’m just looking for a little bit of advice as we are used to a certain type of lifestyle now, and do not want to put our children throughtoo much change. Right now, my wife and I both work, she works from home for avery large company, and I currently work for an investment firm, and being thatI would be the only one moving to a new job in this case, I need to know about the jobs that’s available inColumbus, as well as other things. I do have a list of questions, and if youguys could help us out, that would be great.

1. Are there any investments firms that have theiroperations center located in the Columbus area? Or, are there any financialinstitutions in Columbus that have their operations based in or around thecity?

2. The neighborhood we live in now is a good mix ofcity meets country, and we would ideally like to find a neighborhood similar.We are looking to either rent or lease until we get to know the city. Any suggestionson any good suburbs or neighborhoods like this?

3. My children are ages 8 and 10, we’re looking fora good-great public school system for them. How are the school systems?

4. My kids are also into Track and Field andSwimming, any good programs or facilities in Columbus that offerlessons/programs that they could continue?

5. I have researched and seen that there are a tonof activities to do as it pertains to the Arts, what other fun or educationalthings are there to do in CBus?

6. What are some good places to dine at when we visit? I’ve seen one place on the Food Network that I think I want to try out.It’s in Germantown I think.

I’m looking forward to your responses. I can’t wait to moveback home, like I said NC is nice, but home is definitely where the heart is,and where all of my favorite things are. The sports teams, food selections, andmost of all family

Last edited by Clt2CBus2015; 09-11-2014 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Don't not copy/paste properly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clt2CBus2015 View Post
]Hello Folks

So, as the title suggest, my family and I will be moving toColumbus from Charlotte, NC in the summer of 2015. I have lived in Charlottesince 2007, and originally I am from Cleveland. So, I am not really up to dateon how it is living in the Columbus area, although I have heard from a coupleof co-workers down here who are from Columbus that it is a great place to live.And I do miss Ohio itself, I love my home state and moving to Columbus would beideal since, from what I hear anyways, it is similar to what I have come tolove in Charlotte.

I’m just looking for a little bit of advice as we are used to a certain type of lifestyle now, and do not want to put our children throughtoo much change. Right now, my wife and I both work, she works from home for avery large company, and I currently work for an investment firm, and being thatI would be the only one moving to a new job in this case, I need to know about the jobs that’s available inColumbus, as well as other things. I do have a list of questions, and if youguys could help us out, that would be great.

1. Are there any investments firms that have theiroperations center located in the Columbus area? Or, are there any financialinstitutions in Columbus that have their operations based in or around thecity?

2. The neighborhood we live in now is a good mix ofcity meets country, and we would ideally like to find a neighborhood similar.We are looking to either rent or lease until we get to know the city. Any suggestionson any good suburbs or neighborhoods like this?

3. My children are ages 8 and 10, we’re looking fora good-great public school system for them. How are the school systems?

4. My kids are also into Track and Field andSwimming, any good programs or facilities in Columbus that offerlessons/programs that they could continue?

5. I have researched and seen that there are a tonof activities to do as it pertains to the Arts, what other fun or educationalthings are there to do in CBus?

6. What are some good places to dine at when we visit? I’ve seen one place on the Food Network that I think I want to try out.It’s in Germantown I think.

I’m looking forward to your responses. I can’t wait to moveback home, like I said NC is nice, but home is definitely where the heart is,and where all of my favorite things are. The sports teams, food selections, andmost of all family
1) Huntington National Bank is the only major bank HQ'd here...no where near the Banking/Finance Industry that Charlotte has....Chase has a big mortgage processing center out in the Burbs near Polaris.

2) I used to live in Charlotte, from 2004-2009, is the neighborhood you are in at least that old? If so, can you let me know what it is? That describes a lot of the suburban areas here.

3) Much better than NC Schools...Dublin, Worthington, Hilliard, New Albany, Upper Arlington, Bexley, Gahanna, and Pickerington all have wonderful schools here...stay out of the Columbus City schools, Whitehall Schools and you'll be alright.

4) Can't really answer that for you.

5) COSI is a great science museum...I'm sure OSU has many things that the community can get involved w/...The Columbus Zoo has some educational programs I believe...the library system here is 2nd to none.

6) Thurmans? It's in German Village...amazing burgers...otherwise, depends what kind of food you like as there are a lot of options.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
1) Huntington National Bank is the only major bank HQ'd here...no where near the Banking/Finance Industry that Charlotte has....Chase has a big mortgage processing center out in the Burbs near Polaris.

2) I used to live in Charlotte, from 2004-2009, is the neighborhood you are in at least that old? If so, can you let me know what it is? That describes a lot of the suburban areas here.

3) Much better than NC Schools...Dublin, Worthington, Hilliard, New Albany, Upper Arlington, Bexley, Gahanna, and Pickerington all have wonderful schools here...stay out of the Columbus City schools, Whitehall Schools and you'll be alright.

4) Can't really answer that for you.

5) COSI is a great science museum...I'm sure OSU has many things that the community can get involved w/...The Columbus Zoo has some educational programs I believe...the library system here is 2nd to none.

6) Thurmans? It's in German Village...amazing burgers...otherwise, depends what kind of food you like as there are a lot of options.

Thank you so much for your input. YES.... it was Thurmans!! The food looked really good.

As for what neighborhood I live in now, I live other in the University Area, around Harris Houston if that helps.

So the suburbs have the best school systems, that helps a lot really. I wouldn't mind transitioning to another career path, would you know what industry other than government is really hiring in Columbus?

Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 PM

96 posts, read 124,846 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your input. YES.... it was Thurmans!! The food looked really good.

As for what neighborhood I live in now, I live other in the University Area, around Harris Houston if that helps.

So the suburbs have the best school systems, that helps a lot really. I wouldn't mind transitioning to another career path, would you know what industry other than government is really hiring in Columbus?

In terms of investment firms, don't forget the insurance companies, especially Nationwide, who manage and invest a ton of money. There are also a number of small to medium firms, like Diamond Hill Capital management, Hamilton Capital Management, Johnson Investment, just to name a few. I think the major investment banks all have offices here, but those are, with the exception of JPMorgan Chase, probably just wealth management/sales offices but I could be wrong. Gotta be honest, Columbus is not a financial hub like Charlotte.

Last edited by kareno999; 09-11-2014 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
In terms of investment firms, don't forget the insurance companies, especially Nationwide, who manage and invest a ton of money. There are also a number of small to medium firms, like Diamond Hill Capital management, Hamilton Capital Management, Johnson Investment, just to name a few. I think the major investment banks all have offices here, but those are, with the exception of JPMorgan Chase, probably just wealth management/sales offices but I could be wrong. Gotta be honest, Columbus is not a financial hub like Charlotte.
Thank you for that. Those investment companies are very similiar to the one I work for. I'm just excited to get back. It's been a long time coming, so I won't get too hung on finding the exact same job. Anything comparable in salary would do.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareno999 View Post
Columbus is an insurance hub. In addition to Nationwide you have Motorists, Grange, State Auto and Safe Auto with operations in the Capital City. All will have an institutional investment portfolio that must be managed. In addition to these the five state pension funds are based in Columbus which are OPERS, STRS, SERS, Ohio Hwy Patrol Pension, and Ohio Police & Fire Pension Fund. If you're looking more along the lines of retail and private wealth management there are plenty of boutique shops and mid-sized firms such as Meeder Financial and others along the lines of those you mentioned. Most banks, including the three Ohio based banks (Huntington, Key, and 5/3) and other regionals (PNC, US Bank) will have some sort of wealth management footprint in Columbus.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:37 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:

The one area of Charlotte I knew the least about....I had first moved to Fort Mill (hence the username), then moved into a condo along the Blue Line in Southend but had several friends in Southpark, along w/ some up by Lake Norman, and also a few out near Ballantyne.

From what I remember, that area was pretty typical suburbia though so you'd probably get the same feel in any of Columbus' Northern, Eastern, or Western burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus